Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
there was me thinking I was doing ok during the quieter summer without heating - still in credit. Just checked my octopus account as I was wokring out how much it costs to boil the kettle! (3p it turns out) and it seems I've not had an electric bill from them since March which I think was when I switched to IO.

Now dreading contacting them.

Also as an aside I checked my gas usage from Jan - 1500kwh at 3p/kwh was £57. I'n already paying 7p and they're expecting 15p/kwh in winter - that'd be £270 a month!
It’s the strange thing about octopus. You sometimes have to chase them to raise a bill. I drop them a PM on Twitter and it’s sorted straight away.

I’ve been with Octopus on Go for the last 2 years & switched to IO yesterday. I’m expecting to see charging slots reported back to me via the app when I plug in at home in the evening. But I wasn’t expect to see a schedule (with slots over night, tonight) created when I plugged in at work this morning. Is that normal?

the PITA is had they sent bills regularly I’d have noticed the creep into negative at least 4 months ago and increased the DD to counter.
When they didn't send me a bill for a year (despite chasing) after it got sorted eventually they wrote off a chunk of the debit on the quite reasonable grounds that I couldn't have known I wasn't paying enough. So it's maybe worth an ask.

I’ve been with Octopus on Go for the last 2 years & switched to IO yesterday. I’m expecting to see charging slots reported back to me via the app when I plug in at home in the evening. But I wasn’t expect to see a schedule (with slots over night, tonight) created when I plugged in at work this morning. Is that normal?
Sometimes it can appear, just refresh the app when you get home tonight and it'll correct the charge cycle. You may need to turn off the smart charging function whilst at work as it may not charge whilst plugged in at work.

They made £25M profit last year. That was the first time that the business recorded a profit. The previous year they made a £47M loss and a £30m loss the year before that.
They expect to take a £100m hit this year.
Boohoo. It’s not a risky venture. If they go under the government will cover it to a certain extent. Of course we all pay for it in our bills now. Greg Jackson will be ok of course.

• Disagree
Reactions: ACarneiro
Boohoo. It’s not a risky venture. If they go under the government will cover it to a certain extent. Of course we all pay for it in our bills now. Greg Jackson will be ok of course.
Your pitchfork-wielding energy provider nihilism is cute, but if you think there's another provider including the government who have a better track record for customer service and tariff innovation than Octopus, I'm all ears.

You're going to do yourself an injury dragging those goalposts all over the place. First they were "of course" making profits. Now when shown the actual evidence you pivot to something else.

What point are you trying to make, apart from showing yourself up as a bit of a doorknob?

• Funny
Reactions: btc1k
I'm not sure you understand how business works. Octopus will have received considerable investment from various parties, who will be looking for a return and will have an exit plan. Those investors will lose considerable money if Octopus were to go under and the government won't be bailing them out, the government will step in to protect customers not investors. So Greg Jackson will be under huge pressure to deliver.

Actually make that billions, some of which will be from pension companies no doubt.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220810-131502_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220810-131502_Chrome.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Reactions: ACarneiro
I have set up a charging schedule on the car to only charge after 00:30 - but as soon as I plug in the Ohme on IO it starts charging outside the schedule of IO and Tesla.

I called octopus has a very helpful lady with a very particular accent that said there is no problem it’s working as intended, before I even described the issue. Then hung up on me when I said do you want to hear the issue first…(I wasn’t rude at all but soon as I gave my details I was on hold for 10 mins then came back saying it’s all ok without even knowing why I called).87D87D54-8AE5-4653-8780-950034BAC573.png

Yet as soon as I plug the car in … it starts charging, and according to my smart meter it’s at full rate not the cheap rate (I know octopus say they fix it but according to my detailed bill it isn’t working).

Does anyone have a contact for the IO team I stead of the generic call Center ?

I have set up a charging schedule on the car to only charge after 00:30 - but as soon as I plug in the Ohme on IO it starts charging outside the schedule of IO and Tesla.
Does your Tesla actually have sufficient time to charge to target by its Scheduled Departure Off-peak Charging time? If not, it will auto-start charging as soon as plugged in, which could be what you experienced. Check the amperage configured at location.

Scheduled Charging, which is what sounds like you’ve set, will also start charging up to 6 hours after the start time if plugged in, i.e. right up to 06:30.

Octopus’ API access itself may also start a brief charging session during peak in order to determine current SoC.

Can I ask what unit rate people's smart meters give when on Intelligent Octopus? Mine only ever says 7.5p which means the calculated daily or weekly cost is always vastly understated. I assume I'm not actually going to be billed for everything at the low rate? If I am then I will delete this message and say no more about it!