Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said, I thought there would be little to no chance of Go and Intelligent changing price. There might be some E7 tariffs that make sense for a few people. EDF have some E7 rates with wild regional differences but you could see a situation occurring where E7 + Agile Outgoing works for those with solar.
I'm not so sure. I don't think Octopus will be holding to the current rates, expecting the peak rates on Go to be closer to 34p than the current 40p.

The MSE page on the cap says:
On Eco 7, Eco 10 or other non standard tariff? Firms should reduce tariffs so the reduction works on the weighted average of the combined rates (around 4p/kWh for gas and 17p/kWh for electric), but its up to firms how they implement this, so we can't say for certain what the rates you'll pay are.

It’s too late to do maths to figure out the weighted average :D

I’ve just found a list of Ofgem Default Tariff capped rates by region AFTER application of the discounts under the government energy price guarantee have been applied. Although I cannot find specific EV tariff rate caps there is a list for tariffs which have a peak and an off peak rate. These vary by region but typically the standing daily charge is capped at between 45p and 51p, the peak rates are capped at around 40p and the off peak rates are capped at around 15p.
If this information is correct (and it seems to be as the standard variable rates on the same table are around 34p which is correct) I think it highly unlikely that there will be any reduction in the current Octopus EV rates.

Having peaks over 34p is a dick move. Presumably they’re working on the basis those people need/want the off peak so can get away with a higher than 34p peak without people leaving (because everyone seems to have waived exit penalties now)?

I’d have to do the math very carefully if Octopus do anything like that although begrudingly if peak stayed at my current 40p I’d probably stick with it but I’d then seriously consider a second battery as soon as I can afford it

Anyone else have IO not reach target charge % last night? Octopus are looking into it. Maybe an isolated incident.
Mine was OK. I had a 8:00-8:30 slot and it finished bang on.

We are just getting into that time of year where it cools down enough at night such that if the charge finishes early, the BMS might readjust to what it thinks is "available". There's no charge actually lost, as it will readjust as the car battery warms on a drive.

Having peaks over 34p is a dick move. Presumably they’re working on the basis those people need/want the off peak so can get away with a higher than 34p peak without people leaving (because everyone seems to have waived exit penalties now)?

I’d have to do the math very carefully if Octopus do anything like that although begrudingly if peak stayed at my current 40p I’d probably stick with it but I’d then seriously consider a second battery as soon as I can afford it
I think based on last winter usage and 40.9/7.5 our average cost would be around 27p.

However some things have changed so it will be tricky to be sure:

1. Meter clock was running fast by up to 3h before it was fixed => some evening use went on cheap. This more likely counts against us.

2. Gone from 2 to 5 people.

3. Driving pattern different (less WFH). This would bring the average rate down.

Obviously I'm trying harder to shift stuff given the higher peak rate, but it's less easily controlled with more people in the house.

yeah I’m less confident the peak rate will be 34p after seeing some of the economy 7 type tariffs having 40p+ rates due to the off peak being lower..

currently on 39/7.5 and expect that may even be higher for new contracts so I’ll hopefully be able to sit on that for a year at least. Positive side is the renewal in a year shouldn’t be a big jump and that stability is helpful

Perhaps not now. But did the my offer fixed tariffs in the past that are still active.

My money is that you will be guaranteed to not pay more than the cap unit rate on the blended rate within a billing period

Octopus were offering fixed tariffs for both gas and electricity when we renewed Go. Last I saw, around 70p/kWh for electricity (a bit lower on the Loyal Octopus tariff).

They've gotta do better than that, otherwise whats the benefit with staying with them and restricting your EV charging to off peak?
I’d look at it as there is no downside to being on Go but possibly considerable upside. I switched to Go just before the 52p announcement that has subsequently been overridden by the price cap. So I’m on 40/7.5p. My first bill had a blended rate of 28p. So I’m massively beating the cap. But if for any reason I can’t time shift the safety net of the cap would be the icing on the cake

Reactions: SteveJol
You set your charge limit on the car only. Leave octopus app charge limit at 100%
Now that's an interesting thought.

If you do that, OI will factor a lot more time slots than perhaps needed. But you will defo get your car to the charge you set.

I'm not clear if OI will cheap rate all those slots, even if they're not being used by the car. It wouldn't surprise me if they do. They may also see that as gaming the system at some point in the future.