Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I received an email from octopus telling me impact from the government price guarantee along with a PDF for the impact on me personally.

Not sure if it's only me, but the PDF only talks about the impact on my Gas Tariff and nothing is mentioned with regards to my IO tariff that I moved over onto about a month ago.

Should I take that to mean they are not making any changes to that tariff, and that my daily and unit charges will remain the same?

Thanks.
I had the same email and am in the same position with regards to having switch to IO recently from Go. However I had Octopus remove my Gas meter back in March once we had a ASHP fitted and they still only mentioned the Gas tariff!

For anyone considering any of the Go tariffs vs Intelligent Octopus, here's a comparison of my total usage from yesterday (current IO July 2022 vs Go Faster July 2022, the tariff I used in 2021). Car and house batteries charging overnight, battery discharge + solar during the day.

IO is a no brainer IMO

IMG_3015.PNG
IMG_3002.PNG

Reactions: _Dave_
It’s not a no-brainer for those of us with powerwalls or similar battery storage.
Unfortunately there is no way of mapping the cheap slots to my powerwalls, so if one of those slots happens to be outside the 2330-0530 the car will be fed from the battery and not cheap grid electricity…
If they could integrate properly then I might consider it (although I’m still reading lots of posts reporting odd charging behaviours and increased vampire drain).

Reactions: btc1k
Hi all, sorry for the question.

First time using this as IO (and only second day charging overall!). I’ve plugged my Tesla wall charger in. Because I am scheduled on the Tesla app to not start charging before 11.30pm, it’s ofcourse not yet charging.
In the Octopus app, I don’t have a schedule showing yet. It’s only been 10-15mins, should I check again in an hour and expect to see something? If I do nothing, should it just charge as expected? (Or is a confirmation required once you get a schedule?).
Thank you!

Edit; OK, a little more patience and I’d have got my answer. I now have a schedule showing and am hopeful it will charge as described overnight. :)

Attachments

• 459BE342-F105-4419-ABB1-CB6432F58C2F.png
    459BE342-F105-4419-ABB1-CB6432F58C2F.png
    244.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 4588C05A-FB55-4988-BEB3-CDE1AA46E621.png
    4588C05A-FB55-4988-BEB3-CDE1AA46E621.png
    308.5 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Hi all, sorry for the question.

First time using this as IO (and only second day charging overall!). I’ve plugged my Tesla wall charger in. Because I am scheduled on the Tesla app to not start charging before 11.30pm, it’s ofcourse not yet charging.
In the Octopus app, I don’t have a schedule showing yet. It’s only been 10-15mins, should I check again in an hour and expect to see something? If I do nothing, should it just charge as expected? (Or is a confirmation required once you get a schedule?).
Thank you!
You have the charge limit in the Octopus app at 80%, I find that leaving this at 100% or adjusting up to this will usually provide a schedule more quickly. IO used to show a schedule within a minute or two but recently it's taken much longer, sometimes 30 minutes or more.

I'm not sure how many others have success in blocking a scheduled charge start time before 23.30 though.

I prefer to leave everything up to IO except after initially plugging in... as soon as the charge reaches 8kWh within a few seconds (as shown on the Zappi) I then stop charging via the Tesla app.

It’s not a no-brainer for those of us with powerwalls or similar battery storage.
Unfortunately there is no way of mapping the cheap slots to my powerwalls, so if one of those slots happens to be outside the 2330-0530 the car will be fed from the battery and not cheap grid electricity…
If they could integrate properly then I might consider it (although I’m still reading lots of posts reporting odd charging behaviours and increased vampire drain).
Why not wire the EV charger into the grid side fuse slots on the gateway?

That way if your house is islanded off from the grid, the EV can still pull from the grid with the extra slots while your house runs on the battery? That way the car doesn’t touch the powerwall.

The only caveat is you won’t be able to charge the car off the powerwall, which I assume you would never do anyway.

Or might it mess with charging the car with solar? I’m not sure of this part.

You have the charge limit in the Octopus app at 80%, I find that leaving this at 100% or adjusting up to this will usually provide a schedule more quickly. IO used to show a schedule within a minute or two but recently it's taken much longer, sometimes 30 minutes or more.

I'm not sure how many others have success in blocking a scheduled charge start time before 23.30 though.

I prefer to leave everything up to IO except after initially plugging in... as soon as the charge reaches 8kWh within a few seconds (as shown on the Zappi) I then stop charging via the Tesla app.
Thanks. Yeah it took about 30mins to show up in the end.
I only chose an 11.30pm start as that’s when the cheap rate starts, they’ve given me a schedule from 12.30 so I can change it tomorrow?
I had heard it was best to go with 80% limit on charges for daily use, and 100% for longer trips. Or am I misunderstanding? (Set 100% in IO and keep at 80% on the Tesla app?). Thanks

Can't the Powerwall block discharge?

I have separate batteries on two inverters & both are able to do this.

These are connected to the mains one upstream and one downstream of the car charger. The latter is unaffected by car charging and the other set to block discharge 23.30-05.30 so that regardless of its own battery SOC, the car will only draw from grid during that time.

It's giving you 100% of whatever the car is asking for. If you have it at 80% then it will give you 80% of what is set on the car... if that is also 80% then you will get 80% of 80%! (I don't have IO but this has come up before and does make sense.)
Na not right! I have tried both. Setting 100% in IO app and 60% on car does work and it does 'game' the system to give you extra time slots during the day but it also wakes the car up every hour to replenish any losses and finishes up costing a few pounds at peak rate without gaining much charge. I spoke to IO about it. Setting 60 on car and 60 on app is ideal but I don't want to keep doubling effort daily so I set 90% on car and 60% in IO app. Alls well untill IO does not stop the charge then it continues up to 90% (car setting) at peak rate hence why I asked at the start if anyone else had been affected Tuesday am. I have noticed though it often seems short when I leave because doing it this way does not replenish the losses at peak rate which is fair enough.

Na not right! I have tried both. Setting 100% in IO app and 60% on car does work and it does 'game' the system to give you extra time slots during the day but it also wakes the car up every hour to replenish any losses and finishes up costing a few pounds at peak rate without gaining much charge. I spoke to IO about it. Setting 60 on car and 60 on app is ideal but I don't want to keep doubling effort daily so I set 90% on car and 60% in IO app. Alls well untill IO does not stop the charge then it continues up to 90% (car setting) at peak rate hence why I asked at the start if anyone else had been affected Tuesday am. I have noticed though it often seems short when I leave because doing it this way does not replenish the losses at peak rate which is fair enough.
Set app to 100%, set car to whatever you want and then turn IO off when it has finished.
IO doesn't wake the car or cost you anything at peak rate.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tommo05 and Cnixon
Hopefully this is an easy one: when I joined IO I just had the Ohme Home Pro charger and my BMW. It allowed me to sign up against the Ohme, but disabled IO in the app and tells me to do everything through the Ohme app instead. I followed their instructions, like disabling price cap and having a single schedule in the Ohme app, but now I'm about to change from BMW to M3P is there any way to change the IO integration from the Ohme Home Pro to the Tesla? And if so is there even any benefit to doing this?

Not entirely sure how I can trace any additional low tarrif hours in the current state, as the "Devices" tab in the app just tells me "We're still in Beta.... go to your Ohme app to control your EV charging".

Thanks in advance

This was a response from IO back in May 2022 when I asked about IO 'topping up' during the day (i have underlined the relevant bit)... "Generally speaking, what is happening looks fine - we shouldn't be waking the car other than to charge it. I can see that many of our attempted charges do fail though, and I suspect that's because there has a charge limit set on the Tesla app. The charge limit needs to be set in our app to prevent us from attempting charges and the Tesla rejecting them."

Just trying to wrap my head around this, but does this cause an issue? As long as the slot is before 2330, then even if from the battery come 2330, the battery will just charge to full prior to 0530 right? I guess it is an issue if it schedules after 0530, but that's solvable by telling IO it needs to be ready for 0515 or so?