Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm on Go currently and considering IO, is this a standard screen from IO or another app?
I was just wondering the same! ^
My first charge on IO last night appears to have gone as planned. Wasn’t on at 6am when i checked.
Had reached 85% the number I’d set in the Tesla app. Just not following the costing part yet! Not found that screen on the Octopus app yet

I was just wondering the same! ^
My first charge on IO last night appears to have gone as planned. Wasn’t on at 6am when i checked.
Had reached 85% the number I’d set in the Tesla app. Just not following the costing part yet! Not found that screen on the Octopus app yet
It’s from the Octopus Watch app.

It’s not compatible with IO though so you will get a false reading with extra slots.

It’s only accurate if the slots are only within 23:30-05:30, like the below.

1663920447186.png

Reactions: MattG5 and _Dave_
Hopefully this is an easy one: when I joined IO I just had the Ohme Home Pro charger and my BMW. It allowed me to sign up against the Ohme, but disabled IO in the app and tells me to do everything through the Ohme app instead. I followed their instructions, like disabling price cap and having a single schedule in the Ohme app, but now I'm about to change from BMW to M3P is there any way to change the IO integration from the Ohme Home Pro to the Tesla? And if so is there even any benefit to doing this?

Not entirely sure how I can trace any additional low tarrif hours in the current state, as the "Devices" tab in the app just tells me "We're still in Beta.... go to your Ohme app to control your EV charging".

Thanks in advance
I sort of answered this in the other thread, but you've identified one of the current Ohme integration limitations - the lack of a published schedule. And the graphs they currently provide are next to useless.

It *might* need a call to Ohme to de-register your car from their platform so you can go through setup on the IO app again. Just have a poke around in both apps to see if there's an option. Apologies for being a bit non-specific, I'm not an Ohme user.

You may want to stick with Ohme if you are have or a planning a second EV, as it allows you to make schedules for any car. If you want to charge a non-Tesla on the Tesla integration, then you're locked into the fixed 2330-0530 window.

Reactions: Lazarou
So I received an email from octopus telling me impact from the government price guarantee along with a PDF for the impact on me personally.

Not sure if it's only me, but the PDF only talks about the impact on my Gas Tariff and nothing is mentioned with regards to my IO tariff that I moved over onto about a month ago.

Should I take that to mean they are not making any changes to that tariff, and that my daily and unit charges will remain the same?

Thanks.
I got the same, but only for Gas too. Nothing on electric, I guess because I have a fixed term until next year, that prices will not go up?

It’s not compatible with IO though so you will get a false reading with extra slots.

View attachment 856027
Thanks Darreno, so assume if I want a good check and confirmation, I should download the csv from their site covering the hourly usage? Thanks

Reactions: Darreno
I have to wake up at 5:30 do I? I will show you a graph of this to prove my point.
Several of us don't see the IO behaviour you describe but of course nobody can dispute your own experience.

My car stops charging at the scheduled end time, doesn't continue charging beyond (apart from two tiny instances totalling 51p many weeks ago) & doesn't incur any peak rate charges.

I only turn IO off when I unplug, sometimes many hours after charging has completed.

View attachment 856027
Thanks Darren - I have downloaded it, but the standard variable rate it is showing the savings against seems to be .52905p/kWh, the standing charge is about right. I can't see a way to make it calculate against the current/new price cap .34p, which would mean the savings aren't quite right? and for me on some days it's already showing that I am paying extra and if that is against .52p I might be better off back on a price cap tariff

IMG_0836.jpeg

*Edit as with others on GO I go the new gas rates but nothing about Electric, but I have found this on the Octopus website, so maybe Go will change How the £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee works

If you’re on a fixed tariff

If you’re on a fixed tariff, the Energy Price Guarantee will discount your tariff unit rates by up to 17p per unit of electricity and 4.2p per unit of gas.

Customers are on lots of different fixed tariffs depending on when they locked their rates in. The amount of discount you get depends on your tariff. The Energy Price Guarantee can only bring your tariff down as low as a Standard Variable Tariff – so, 34p per unit of electricity and 10.3p per unit of gas (or £2,500 for the typical home).

That means that if you’re currently on a fixed tariff that’s cheaper than that, you won’t get any further discount, but can continue to enjoy your cheaper fixed rates until your fixed term contract runs out.

Last edited:
Thanks Darren - I have downloaded it, but the standard variable rate it is showing the savings against seems to be .52905p/kWh, the standing charge is about right. I can't see a way to make it calculate against the current/new price cap .34p, which would mean the savings aren't quite right? and for me on some days it's already showing that I am paying extra and if that is against .52p I might be better off back on a price cap tariff

View attachment 856060

*Edit as with others on GO I go the new gas rates but nothing about Electric, but I have found this on the Octopus website, so maybe Go will change How the £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee works

If you’re on a fixed tariff, the Energy Price Guarantee will discount your tariff unit rates by up to 17p per unit of electricity and 4.2p per unit of gas.

Customers are on lots of different fixed tariffs depending on when they locked their rates in. The amount of discount you get depends on your tariff. The Energy Price Guarantee can only bring your tariff down as low as a Standard Variable Tariff – so, 34p per unit of electricity and 10.3p per unit of gas (or £2,500 for the typical home).

That means that if you’re currently on a fixed tariff that’s cheaper than that, you won’t get any further discount, but can continue to enjoy your cheaper fixed rates until your fixed term contract runs out.
I assume the app will update when the cap comes in.

All I have seen so far is from this link, not sure what it means for GO, I've had an email on gas but nothing on my go tariff so far How the £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee works

The govt statement I saw on the fixed tariffs mentioned "average". It could be taken differently, but could mean Go will only be effected if your average price per unit is >34p. If it helps, your monthly statement does show an average price (it's in the detail, about how much you used at peak, and how much at cheap, and then gives a total at the average cost... so if that's >34p it might be reduced to 34p.

But I might have this all wrong... I might have misunderstood what they meant.

Last edited:
The govt statement I saw on the fixed tariffs mentioned "average". It could be taken differently, but could mean Go will only be affected if your average price per unit is >34p. If it helps, your monthly statement does show an average price (it's in the detail, about how much you used at peak, and how much at cheap, and then gives a total at the average cost... so if that's >34p it might be reduced to 34p.

This seemed to be in line with the thinking on the Octopus Smart Energy forum. It's unlikely anybody using the Go tariff properly will benefit from the cap, although it's fair to say the extremely reasonable pricing on Go is a big factor

The govt statement I saw on the fixed tariffs mentioned "average". It could be taken differently, but could mean Go will only be affected if your average price per unit is >34p. If it helps, your monthly statement does show an average price (it's in the detail, about how much you used at peak, and how much at cheap, and then gives a total at the average cost... so if that's >34p it might be reduced to 34p.

I just signed up and it’s ~40p on peak, if that drops down to 34p it’d be a no brainier for anyone to sign up even if they didn’t have an EV 😂

Reactions: KB2022
All I have seen so far is from this link, not sure what it means for GO, I've had an email on gas but nothing on my go tariff so far How the £2,500 Energy Price Guarantee works

i know with EDF their variable tariff differs region to region. London i believe is 1p more on elec and 0.5p on gas. there or about

My Go expires shortly and I have been quoted 7.5/39.84 with daily fee of 43.12. These are exactly the same as Intellligent Octopus which gives 6 hours low rate rather than 4 - so it seems a no brainer to switch to IO. I did email Octopus asking about the impact of govt support and got a response saying it didn’t apply to Go as it’s not a standard variable tariff……