Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I dont see the 5 hour rate for GL postcode.

1665756766925.png

Variable ECO7 tariff is currently 42/16
1665756858786.png

Since these are now variable tariffs and above the price cap these would receive the price cap discount surely? If I calculate correctly that would bring these rates pretty much exactly in line with the previous rates. At least for Go.
Those are still fixed afaiu. Octopus kept the disclaimer saying they are working on an alternative solution. I guess those are renewal quotes for existing customers whose contracts are due for renewal, but they still don’t accept new sign ups as of today.
That’s how they can get away with it. Price cap doesn’t apply to fixed tarifs signed after Oct 1st. And Go has a unit raté well above the 35p cap now.

Since these are now variable tariffs and above the price cap these would receive the price cap discount surely? If I calculate correctly that would bring these rates pretty much exactly in line with the previous rates. At least for Go.
What calculation would you do
For the 4 hour rates 0.44 x 17 + 0,12 x 7 / 24 = 34.7p/kWhr So maybe 2% price cap discount?
Looks like they shuffled the standing charge lower, to get the unit charges to qualify for a tiny discount. Nice gaming the system xD

The 4 and 5 hour rates dont show for me on the main tariff page
Did you get them from account page or renewal offer?

Yikes!

Interesting that Intelligent is cheaper (and longer off peak).
It always has been, AFAIK. Its why I moved from the 5 hour Go Faster to IO in summertime- cheaper and longer than the 5 hour Go Faster.

Octopus really want to move away from demand side pricing and onto more intelligent pricing structures.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Just got my renewal information through from Octopus (my Go fix expires at the end of November. I'd be going from 13.97p and 5p to 41.6p and 12p apparently, with a near doubling of the standing charge - wowzer!!!

For those with a better grasp of Intelligent, I'm guessing I'll struggle with 2 EVs (Tesla & Peugeot) and a PodPoint charger...?

Just got my renewal information through from Octopus (my Go fix expires at the end of November. I'd be going from 13.97p and 5p to 41.6p and 12p apparently, with a near doubling of the standing charge - wowzer!!!

For those with a better grasp of Intelligent, I'm guessing I'll struggle with 2 EVs (Tesla & Peugeot) and a PodPoint charger...?
You can turn off smart charging. So you can use the Tesla one night on Smart charging, then turn off Smart Charging to charge the Peugeot the next night between 23:30-05:30.

Or, leave the Tesla on smart charging, and charge the Peugeot on a 3 pin between 23:30-05:30 at the same time.

Unless anyone knows a reason this cant happen?

You should be fine, as long as the PodPoint can act in dumb mode. We have a Model 3 and a Pug 208-e. I just charge the Pug when we need to in the IO chap period. IO will not be able to control the Pug, just the Tesla, but it's no real hassle.

Nearly chocked on my beer.... I managed to find the renewal email from a few weeks ago (due for renewal on the 17th) and that had locked in the price from then, so I renewed today on go at 39.84 day, 7.5 night and 43.12 standing charge... took a screenshot just in case.

Reactions: Astrape
Ended up on intelligent.. still a doubling of cost for me, not happy but what can you do?

Test charge seems a bit flaky.. it'd help if it told you what it was actually doing rather than just saying 'tests usually take 7 minutes' meanwhile I'm sucking juice at peak rate.. It's already failed twice!

You can turn off smart charging. So you can use the Tesla one night on Smart charging, then turn off Smart Charging to charge the Peugeot the next night between 23:30-05:30.

Or, leave the Tesla on smart charging, and charge the Peugeot on a 3 pin between 23:30-05:30 at the same time.
Since the new rates are described as ECO7 one would expect them to operate for 7 fixed hours following the ECO 7 schedule which moves about according to summer/wintertime and where you are in the country. In Gloucestershire at the moment the timing is 1:30 am to 8:30 am, and will become 12:30 to 7:30 after the clocks change.

Since the new rates are described as ECO7 one would expect them to operate for 7 fixed hours following the ECO 7 schedule which moves about according to summer/wintertime and where you are in the country. In Gloucestershire at the moment the timing is 1:30 am to 8:30 am, and will become 12:30 to 7:30 after the clocks change.
For some reason, Go has always been described as Eco 7. It's not though, just a long-standing quirk of Octopus' tariff sheet.

• Informative
Reactions: Astrape
Ended up on intelligent.. still a doubling of cost for me, not happy but what can you do?

Test charge seems a bit flaky.. it'd help if it told you what it was actually doing rather than just saying 'tests usually take 7 minutes' meanwhile I'm sucking juice at peak rate.. It's already failed twice!
Quick tip : try to keep the phone awake and stay on the octopus screen. Both time the test charge failed for me was when the screen went off, I thought it would continue working in the background... apparently not.