Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it supposed to say something different? It's always said that on my account page also.

It says:

Readings available​

We're receiving the half-hourly readings we need from your smart meter!
Won't be long now, we're just getting everything ready for your new tariff.

It should say something different than "we're just getting everything ready for your new tariff" after we've been on it for a year!

A shame, but given how the government support is working with ToU tariffs average rate maybe Octopus needed to increase rates to manage their costs.

It helps me justify giving up my cheap Go rates that would have expired at the start of December to switch to Intelligent back at the end of August.

Octopus' medium term goal is to phase out legacy Go/Go Faster tariffs and promote Intelligent with its smarter approach to balancing the grid, carbon intensity and cost base for Octopus

I can’t charge my house batteries using Intelligent. With Go Faster, the batteries are programmed to charge at set times……or am I reading it wrong, is the intelligent off peak always 23:30 to 05:30? And the car might charge outside this time if cheaper?

Last edited:
I can’t charge my house batteries using Intelligent.
Sure you can.

Depending on what home batteries you've got, you can use automation (Home Assistant, for example) to stop drain from your battery if you get off-peak slots outside of the fixed period.

Reactions: SR-Plus
Sure you can.

Depending on what home batteries you've got, you can use automation (Home Assistant, for example) to stop drain from your battery if you get off-peak slots outside of the fixed period.
I have a Sofar inverter and Pylontech US3000 batteries

I have a Sofar inverter and Pylontech US3000 batteries
Not one I'm personally familar with but if you can locally control your inverter with something like HA or Node Red there are various scripts knocking about integrating with the IO slots allocated to your account.

This one is what I use with my GivEnergy battery

You can. Or at least many do. Just switch it off when using 2nd car.
With a massive hike to my Go charges incoming at the end of November, I'm looking at switching to IO. Is switching it off for the second EV hard/complex? I guess you just have to remember... 10p for 6 hours is way better than 12.5p for 4 hours!

Having read most of the threads on here about IO, some people seem to have varying results/missed charges and extra battery drain - is that still the case?

Lastly, I believe the switch over is instant when the test charge completes - so I guess switching just before my bargain rate finishes makes sense...