Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't your Go a fixed tariff? Mine's fixed till August 2023 and still showing as 7.5p
Sorry, yes it is until February 2023, but I was hoping they’d keep the 7.5p into next year (as they’re trying to encourage overnight usage). So I’ll get 4 months more at my current rate, but then looking at £50 increase (higher day, night & standing charge).

I can’t charge my house batteries using Intelligent. With Go Faster, the batteries are programmed to charge at set times……or am I reading it wrong, is the intelligent off peak always 23:30 to 05:30? And the car might charge outside this time if cheaper?
why?! you always have the off peak rate 23;30 - 5:30 - you just set this particular time limit

Reactions: SR-Plus
With a massive hike to my Go charges incoming at the end of November, I'm looking at switching to IO. Is switching it off for the second EV hard/complex? I guess you just have to remember... 10p for 6 hours is way better than 12.5p for 4 hours!

Having read most of the threads on here about IO, some people seem to have varying results/missed charges and extra battery drain - is that still the case?

Lastly, I believe the switch over is instant when the test charge completes - so I guess switching just before my bargain rate finishes makes sense...
you do not even need to switch anything off.

I am a bit surprised that people still have this huge misconception and asking same questions again and again..

1) IO controls car only (unless you're Ohme charger owner and used IO on that, I believe?).
2) Just plug in you second car and set it to charge from 23:50 to 5:30. simples.
3) No matter if you connect your tesla or not (or even if your tesla is in the country) - you always get 23:30 - 5:30 cheap slots for all house use.
4) if you are lucky - your cheap slots will fall outside the 23:30 - 5:30 window as well - let's say from 21:00 to 22:00. But even then, with these additional slots, your off peak is always 23:30 - 5:30 + any additional slots (in this case 21:00 - 22:00) - so instead of 5 hours you get 7 hours of off-peak rates!

again - ONE car is connected to IO. any other car can be charged with off-peak for 23:30 - 5:30 or at peak rates any other time. Heck, you ca even have 2 chargers at home running at the same time.

it's hard to understand what is so complicated in this and why people keep asking same questions again and again.

Last edited:
Starting to see several posts, especially on the open FB site, of idiots (can usually tell by their spelling) thinking they are very smart and gaming Intelligent to get extended low rate times to use for their washing machines.

If everyone did this, it will end badly.
I agree. I really hope Octopus bring in some limitations for using IO, such as minimum selectable charge rate of 3kW or even better 7kW. Also checking for a regular and large mismatch between requested charge percentage and actual.

I know there's still a lot of cars that can only charge at around 3kW, we have one. The majority are capable of around 7kW and surely that's the point of IO, to time control large loads, not 1.4kW 6A granny chargers.

I agree. I really hope Octopus bring in some limitations for using IO, such as minimum selectable charge rate of 3kW or even better 7kW. Also checking for a regular and large mismatch between requested charge percentage and actual.

I know there's still a lot of cars that can only charge at around 3kW, we have one. The majority are capable of around 7kW and surely that's the point of IO, to time control large loads, not 1.4kW 6A granny chargers.
I really cant grasp this mindset but am welcome to educated explanations.

I won't go into people that do the test charge and then dont bother using it (to be fair, unless its embedded into the charger its to much faf imho).

However. If you have a car or charger (multiple car can use that charger) and use actually use the IO feature, there is no stipulation on how and how much you can use the static hours they give you. Thus far as I can recall, these off peak cheap rates where given to shift consumer usage and to ensure quotas get used and the supplier does not get a fine so one hand washes the other here as far as I'm concerned and is an excellent concept imho.

Personally, I cant be done with IO unless I could program the chargers to use it. Even if you could use it on more than one presently eligible car, I could do it for my Y but could not handle the anxiety should the mrs M3 not be charged by the morning!

We have 4 EV's in the house. The Model Y and M3 share a charger, The I3 BEV with the smallest battery has its own as needs to charge every day and the leaf that does the lowest mileage charges off the granny charger. The four hours on GO is more than enough within the 4 hours (12:30-04:30) to do them all (3 at a time) plus the dishwasher overnight and hopefully the forthcoming power wall as well.

If I thought the 4 hours was not enough, I would of put up with having IO with my car on it and setting the charger that is shared to dumb every time I plugged it in and I personally don't think of this as circumventing anything.

it's hard to understand what is so complicated in this and why people keep asking same questions again and again.
I think it's just that there is conflicting information on here, some posts say you have to turn off something on the app, others don't. Others believe you can only have one EV (kind of as Octopus says), but that is clearly not the case.

I read through 29 pages about IO on one thread, and loads on this one - if the answer was clear, people wouldn't need to 'ask the same question again and again'... All they are looking for is a little friendly advice from those with more experience - kind of what the forum is for.

However, thanks for answering...

I think it's just that there is conflicting information on here, some posts say you have to turn off something on the app, others don't. Others believe you can only have one EV (kind of as Octopus says), but that is clearly not the case.

I read through 29 pages about IO on one thread, and loads on this one - if the answer was clear, people wouldn't need to 'ask the same question again and again'... All they are looking for is a little friendly advice from those with more experience - kind of what the forum is for.

However, thanks for answering...
And I do not understand what people are turning off as well, unless Ohme charger which can be manipulated by IO as well. Otherwise...

You can have 5-6 chargers and use all of them at the same time with IO..

Let's clear this up so as not to be disingenuous:

1. Only one car at a time can be registered to charge intelligently by registering it on the app. You can add a different car any time, but you'd have to remove the other one.

2. Other EVs can be charged during the fixed off peak window of 23:30-05:30

3. There is a fair use clause in the ToS for the tariff that Octopus may or may not invoke in the future
1665853815406.png

Last edited:
but.. would it though?
question was about charging the batteries, not the car
Dont know if IO on Tesla is able to reduce charge rate but if not, based on 7KW charger and lets assume a single PW for the average consumer (think the OP has 2) the rest would be from the grid ( 5KW single PW limit)... I didnt really want to seem pedantic mentioning this but your comment lead me to it... I dont get it so I must assume its either what you are smoking or what Im drinking or both 🤣

When I started planning our home 3 Phase upgrade, just about everybody (even the DNO) thought I was mad !!

But now, during Octopus Go tariff on 3 phase meter I can charge

- Tesla Ev at 11 kW for 4 hours
- Two Powerwalls at 6.7 kW for 4 hours
- House Washing, Drying & Heat Pump at 4 kW for 4 hours

All at the same time... 87 kWh in 4 hours... cost £ 6.50

I really don't feel crazy anymore... just lucky I did it...

When I started planning our home 3 Phase upgrade, just about everybody (even the DNO) thought I was mad !!

But now, during Octopus Go tariff on 3 phase meter I can charge

- Tesla Ev at 11 kW for 4 hours
- Two Powerwalls at 6.7 kW for 4 hours
- House Washing, Drying & Heat Pump at 4 kW for 4 hours

All at the same time... 87 kWh in 4 hours... cost £ 6.50

I really don't feel crazy anymore... just lucky I did it...
Wouldn't say you were lucky. You had a vision and went with it. Worked out ok for you. Your life is your business and that was a good business decision per say. You made your own luck :)