Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had an interesting chat with customer support via Twitter. Lad telling me that the Energy Price Guarantee that the govt have rolled out, will NOT affect those on Octopus Fixed Tariffs, including Go and IO.
Wondering how that works then? I thought the govt had said that no household would pay more than 2500 a year? My leccy bill alone is that now.

• Disagree
Reactions: btc1k
Just had an interesting chat with customer support via Twitter. Lad telling me that the Energy Price Guarantee that the govt have rolled out, will NOT affect those on Octopus Fixed Tariffs, including Go and IO.
Wondering how that works then? I thought the govt had said that no household would pay more than 2500 a year? My leccy bill alone is that now.
They said the ‘average” household would pay no more £2.5K. The unit cost on Go is calculated as an average of the two rates which is less than the cap rate. If you use more than average you will pay more than the cap unfortunately. I think the rate was 34p and the usage about 7300kWh

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Energy price guarantee is a cap on the unit of energy price, not total cost. You still pay for what you use, regardless the amount you use.

They said the ‘average” household would pay no more £2.5K. The unit cost on Go is calculated as an average of the two rates which is less than the cap rate. If you use more than average you will pay more than the cap unfortunately. I think the rate was 34p and the usage about 7300kWh
Cheers Dilly, it’s not been made super clear has it? Certainly not to the consumers.

Reactions: Dilly
Cheers Dilly, it’s not been made super clear has it? Certainly not to the consumers.
Most people outside of EV ownership have no idea on the rates they pay for gas and electric, they just use the estimated figures that the energy companies give them or their direct debit amount. If they had said you electric is capped at 34p and gas is 10p then nobody would have a clue about what there bills are going to be like.

Most people outside of EV ownership have no idea on the rates they pay for gas and electric, they just use the estimated figures that the energy companies give them or their direct debit amount. If they had said you electric is capped at 34p and gas is 10p then nobody would have a clue about what there bills are going to be like.

That's the excuse the regulators give.

People aren't that daft in reality. The concept of price per unit is very common, for example fuel cost per litre, landlines cost per minute, cost per loaf of bread.

That's the excuse the regulators give.

People aren't that daft in reality. The concept of price per unit is very common, for example fuel cost per litre, landlines cost per minute, cost per loaf of bread.
True but before smart meters and IHDs, people had no easy way of knowing their daily energy consumption, unless they were opening their basement cupboard everyday and took a reading... Good thing most energy companies are now dumbing down their bills and indicate the average usage per day for them.
As for gas, as most legacy meters are in imperial units, clearly you are overestimating the ability of the general public to do maths that require multiple operations and use floating constants to convert into kWh

Reactions: Rooster6655
I don’t understand this at all. I usually pay £110 DD.
Hello Michael,

Just a quick reminder: we'll collect your monthly Direct Debit payment of £43.00 on 24th October.

It can take up to four working days for a Direct Debit payment to clear and appear on your online account balance.

This is £67.00 less per property than usual, to pass on the discount of the Energy Bill Support Scheme. From October, you'll receive a monthly discount on your account of £66 (rising to £67 from December to March) from the Government.

We're required to reduce your monthly payments as part of the scheme — but should you prefer to use the scheme to build up a buffer, simply adjust your payment back up in the next 48 hours.

Making changes to your payment
If you want to cancel or change this month's payment, you can change your payment here. Please let us know as soon as you can.
Love and power,
The Octopus Energy team
P.S.
Here are some ways we can help if you're struggling with your bills at the moment

As for gas, as most legacy meters are in imperial units, clearly you are overestimating the ability of the general public to do maths that require multiple operations and use constants.

I must be mixing with a different subset of society to you, or you are clearly underestimating people.

I grant you that people leap for the calculator on their phone for the maths nowadays, but people have understood the maths behind cost per unit for a centuries.

The overall system at the moment, however, does seem to be confusing many.

I don’t understand this at all. I usually pay £110 DD.
Hello Michael,

Just a quick reminder: we'll collect your monthly Direct Debit payment of £43.00 on 24th October.

It can take up to four working days for a Direct Debit payment to clear and appear on your online account balance.

This is £67.00 less per property than usual, to pass on the discount of the Energy Bill Support Scheme. From October, you'll receive a monthly discount on your account of £66 (rising to £67 from December to March) from the Government.

We're required to reduce your monthly payments as part of the scheme — but should you prefer to use the scheme to build up a buffer, simply adjust your payment back up in the next 48 hours.

Making changes to your payment
If you want to cancel or change this month's payment, you can change your payment here. Please let us know as soon as you can.
Love and power,
The Octopus Energy team
P.S.
Here are some ways we can help if you're struggling with your bills at the moment
That £66-£67 a month reduction is part of the £400 every household is getting from the Gov as support. This is correct and normal.

Just got off the phone to Octopus. At the moment I am on OctopusGo until November 22. They tell me that Octopus are not signing up any more for Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus i.e. their smart tariffs. This is because the smart tariffs are not covered by the government's scheme. Instead I will be automatically put on Flexible Octopus. Octopus are trying to find a way to create smart tariffs again but they are not available at the moment.

My current estimated electricity cost is £1389 and under Flexible it will go up to £2131. My gas charges are going up (as far as I can work out) by a factor of 3. Total estimated cost £5330.

Just got off the phone to Octopus. At the moment I am on OctopusGo until November 22. They tell me that Octopus are not signing up any more for Octopus Go or Intelligent Octopus i.e. their smart tariffs. This is because the smart tariffs are not covered by the government's scheme. Instead I will be automatically put on Flexible Octopus. Octopus are trying to find a way to create smart tariffs again but they are not available at the moment.

My current estimated electricity cost is £1389 and under Flexible it will go up to £2131. My gas charges are going up (as far as I can work out) by a factor of 3. Total estimated cost £5330.
I thought they were not onboarding new clients, but as an existing Go customer, are you telling us they do not want to renew either??
We saw some renewing tariffs last week, I would suggest you double check.

I thought they were not onboarding new clients, but as an existing Go customer, are you telling us they do not want to renew either??
We saw some renewing tariffs last week, I would suggest you double check.
That is what I have just been told a few minutes ago. Even existing customers will not be put on Go or Intelligent unless they can find a way to do it.

That is what I have just been told a few minutes ago. Even existing customers will not be put on Go or Intelligent unless they can find a way to do it.
But they changed all their prices on Friday, Go is now 12p off peak, IO is 10p off peak. Peak and Standing charges have also changed... so I'm really not sure why they're denying your change... perhaps left and and right hand haven't spoken yet?

Reactions: ACarneiro and WllXM
The 4 and 5 hour rates dont show for me on the main tariff page
Did you get them from account page or renewal offer?
I can see the hours if I go to the GO tariff page.

I thought the cap was to mitigate the price rise, not reduce my my normal bill.
In unusual fashion they've done more than one thing.
They've capped the rate for people on flexi tariffs, yes. But they also give every bill payer £400 spread over 6 months. On top of that vulernerable, disabled etc get further payments.

It's of course not free, you'll pay for it in taxes one way or another over the years, but for that reason alone, take it.

Reactions: mick4545