Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a guess: Wholesale costs are up so the old Go/IO rates had to go up too. To do this Octopus is effectively introducing a new fixed tarrif- which there probably isn’t provision to benefit from the 17p discount in the mechanism. Without a discount Octopus can’t introduce a new fixed tariff that will compete with 34p price cap. Probably more discussions with Ofgem needed.

That is what I have just been told a few minutes ago. Even existing customers will not be put on Go or Intelligent unless they can find a way to do it.
My GO expires November 23rd, and I've been offered Flexible Octopus or Octopus GO (I can choose). The mail says:
"We've worked hard within the rules of the scheme to develop new versions of Go and Intelligent Octopus that offer the best possible value to EV drivers and still make the most of cheap, green, abundant electrons. In short:
  • No more annual renewals: Fixed-term contracts aren't eligible for the Energy Price Guarantee, so our smart tariffs will now technically be "variable" products, without an end date. Whilst we don't currently have any plans to change prices (either up or down), prices will eventually change — but we'll always give plenty of notice. If government rules change, or we get to the end of the 2 year Energy Price Guarantee, we may reintroduce fixed terms, if it means we can make EV charging cheaper."
Their mail also says "If you're using at least 45% of your electricity in your off-peak window, you're best sticking with Octopus Go — less than that and you should take a look at Flexible Octopus."

Sadly the prices are horrendous:
Your new Octopus Go prices
Peak unit rate: 41.63p / kWh
Off-peak unit rate: 12.00p / kWh
Standing charge: 41.71p / day

Flexible Octopus prices
Off-peak unit rate: 15.62p / kWh

I am likely to renew my GO (the new non-fixed version) and then change to IO once sorted.

Reactions: Rooster6655
My GO expires November 23rd, and I've been offered Flexible Octopus or Octopus GO (I can choose). The mail says:
"We've worked hard within the rules of the scheme to develop new versions of Go and Intelligent Octopus that offer the best possible value to EV drivers and still make the most of cheap, green, abundant electrons. In short:
  • No more annual renewals: Fixed-term contracts aren't eligible for the Energy Price Guarantee, so our smart tariffs will now technically be "variable" products, without an end date. Whilst we don't currently have any plans to change prices (either up or down), prices will eventually change — but we'll always give plenty of notice. If government rules change, or we get to the end of the 2 year Energy Price Guarantee, we may reintroduce fixed terms, if it means we can make EV charging cheaper."
Their mail also says "If you're using at least 45% of your electricity in your off-peak window, you're best sticking with Octopus Go — less than that and you should take a look at Flexible Octopus."

Flexible Octopus prices

I am likely to renew my GO (the new non-fixed version) and then change to IO once sorted.
And just to complete the above, their mail also says: "Our various Go Faster siblings are taking a break. In the world of the Energy Price Guarantee, it's no longer practical to maintain a multitude of different flavours of Go — if you need a few hours extra off-peak energy, Intelligent Octopus is a better choice for the moment."

Flexible Octopus prices

That seems to say that the new rates are subject to the price guarantee? But they don't say how that works with peak/off peak. So while the prices look horrendous if there is a discount applied through the price gurantee scheme the real rate would be lower. They should explain the mechanism though.

Flexible Octopus prices

I don’t understand the last bit about the 45%. Why would it be better to go on flexible instead of Go? The night rate is cheaper on Go and everything else is the same. So what is the point of going on flexible?

Reactions: ACarneiro
I don’t understand the last bit about the 45%. Why would it be better to go on flexible instead of Go? The night rate is cheaper on Go and everything else is the same. So what is the point of going on flexible?
To be honest, their (Octopus) whole messaging and communicating has become very poor - I am getting different estimates on different emails, and as you say, some of it just makes no sense at all. Trouble is, there is very little you can do to move/change...

And now the Government has cut the support package from two years to 6 months. If I didn't live here and have to pay the bills, I'd think this whole thing was hilarious.

To be honest, their (Octopus) whole messaging and communicating has become very poor - I am getting different estimates on different emails, and as you say, some of it just makes no sense at all. Trouble is, there is very little you can do to move/change...

And now the Government has cut the support package from two years to 6 months. If I didn't live here and have to pay the bills, I'd think this whole thing was hilarious.
Say what now? The energy cap is only for 6 months?? When was this announced???

Say what now? The energy cap is only for 6 months?? When was this announced???
1666005332960.png

Flexible Octopus prices

Looks like the Flexible Octopus prices quoted are the Economy 7 capped rates:

Flexible Octopus prices

I don't get this.
Flexible usually was a single tariff, non TOU. So essentially there is now an 'Economy7' version of their Flexible tariff?

But given the prices quoted above, the only difference being the off-peak being cheaper on Go, why would you go on the Flexible Octopus one? It makes no sense?

Anyway glad I secured IO last August for at least 1 year...

I don't get this.
Flexible usually was a single tariff, non TOU. So essentially there is now an 'Economy7' version of their Flexible tariff?

But given the prices quoted above, the only difference being the off-peak being cheaper on Go, why would you go on the Flexible Octopus one? It makes no sense?

Anyway glad I secured IO last August for at least 1 year...
Yes its an Economy 7 Flexible tariff. When I switched without a smart meter, my economy 7 supply was switched to that. Although my smart meter has gone in, with the price difference to Octopus Go so small I will stay with the Flexible Tariff as it enables me to run night storage heaters till 8am instead of 4:30. After the Tesla comes it will be worth switching to Intelligent, which will charge the heaters till 5:30 which is a better match.