Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm, I've just tried to register for saving sessions but was met with a page that said that I wasn't eligible with a link to a series of potential reasons why that should be. None of those are true in my case and a quick look at the Octopus app shows that there hasn't been a gap in meter readings over the last 20 days.

Anyone else had this happen?
I've spoken with Octopus customer support about this and we can't join the savings scheme as we are already part of the EQUINOX ASHP trial which is incompatible with being a part of saving sessions.

I've spoken with Octopus customer support about this and we can't join the savings scheme as we are already part of the EQUINOX ASHP trial which is incompatible with being a part of saving sessions.
The heat pump trial sounds interesting and potentially an easier way for me to benefit due to having home batteries, which could make the outright energy saving harder to achieve.

For those with battery storage it would be useful if this got scheme got extended to include some sort of 'Virtual Power Plant' scheme, where if demand is high batteries could put some power back in the grid and be paid a higher rate than the standard feed in tariff.

I know Tesla Powerwalls are used in VPP's in California, Texas and Australia. Apparently quite helpful for stabalising grid during peak times and can reduce need to switch on the gas peaker power generation plants.

Hell between the above and the 30+ pence difference between peak and off-peak rates payback period on batteries is getting a lot shorter
Have you not seen the Tesla Energy Plan available to powerwall owners via Octopus.

Have you not seen the Tesla Energy Plan available to powerwall owners via Octopus.
I have but the feed in element of the tariff is the same as as the usage element. It's not a VPP. The way that works is at moment of peak demand the price of electricity increases and typically a gas powered generator is fired up to meet additional demand. With VPP all connected powerwalls provide electricity to the grid and are paid more than standard rate for the privilege. Ultimately it's a win win for all involved

I have but the feed in element of the tariff is the same as as the usage element. It's not a VPP. The way that works is at moment of peak demand the price of electricity increases and typically a gas powered generator is fired up to meet additional demand. With VPP all connected powerwalls provide electricity to the grid and are paid more than standard rate for the privilege. Ultimately it's a win win for all involved
It is a VPP, Tesla is a registered energy generator and at times of high demand they take power out of the powerwalls to supply the grid, and at times of low demand they put power back in to the powerwalls. The import and export tarrif is the same so that the customer does not pay for the import when Tesla put power back in.

It is a VPP, Tesla is a registered energy generator and at times of high demand they take power out of the powerwalls to supply the grid, and at times of low demand they put power back in to the powerwalls. The import and export tarrif is the same so that the customer does not pay for the import when Tesla put power back in.
Not strictly true. The customer pays for the battery inefficiencies (you will always import more than you export because there is some loss as heat) and for the battery degradation (there is no provision on the Warranty terms for the added number of cycles at high charge/discharge power).
It's a no from me, I think....

Reactions: scdoubleu
I looked at the Tesla Energy Plan when our PW was installed but decided against it for now. It seems to me that round-trip losses will mean customers lose out when the PW recharges even with net metering. Let's say the Powerwall discharges 12 kWh to the grid during the peak period but with, at best, 90% efficiency will need to dump 13.2 kWh back into the PW during the off-peak period. Customer will have to pay for that extra 1.2 kWh, so it's not true net metering.

Edit: Ah, seems @ACarneiro posted similar at the same time!

Reactions: ACarneiro
Octopus Energy to complete its buy out of Bulb customer base by end of November, just announced.

Just seen this as a Bulb customer. No communication on which tariff we will be switched to. Just been doing some quick calculations, both the Go and Intelligent Tariffs appear to cost more money a month for my average usage than a standard variable tariff currently. Interesting whether post April this will still be the case. What's the point of off peak tariffs if they don't save any money? (Even with setting EV charging to take place during off peak hours?)

Just seen this as a Bulb customer. No communication on which tariff we will be switched to. Just been doing some quick calculations, both the Go and Intelligent Tariffs appear to cost more money a month for my average usage than a standard variable tariff currently. Interesting whether post April this will still be the case. What's the point of off peak tariffs if they don't save any money? (Even with setting EV charging to take place during off peak hours?)

Not 100% certain, but I think you'll be brought over on your current tariff. I seem to remember there are some Avro Energy tariffs kicking around in the billing system which previous customers are still on.

I'm intrigued by the statement that IO would be more expensive for your use case.

Are you a particularly low EV user or really high daytime electricity user?
E.g. I only charge 3 times a week at about 20 kWh a piece. I'm finding myself waaaay better off on IO.

I'm intrigued by the statement that IO would be more expensive for your use case.

Are you a particularly low EV user or really high daytime electricity user?
E.g. I only charge 3 times a week at about 20 kWh a piece. I'm finding myself waaaay better off on IO.

Assuming 900miles a month charging 60kWh EV via 7kW charger. Roughly charging 4 times a month 100% each time. (So 10,000 miles a year roughly). Max electricity use for general day to day at 7.8kWh.

Works out roughly £4 more expensive a month to go onto Intelligent Tariff from standard variable. If I charge more than 5 times a month it's cheaper on IO.. but that mean I'll definitely be exceeding 10,000miles a year which is my lease agreement.

Assuming 900miles a month charging 60kWh EV via 7kW charger. Roughly charging 4 times a month 100% each time. (So 10,000 miles a year roughly). Max electricity use for general day to day at 7.8kWh.

Works out roughly £4 more expensive a month to go onto Intelligent Tariff from standard variable. If I charge more than 5 times a month it's cheaper on IO.. but that mean I'll definitely be exceeding 10,000miles a year which is my lease agreement.
Have you also taken into account shifting some daytime loads to the overnight rate? When I did my maths IO was pretty much the same but we made the switch anyway (as it was a fix and the impending rise was looking major) and made sure to do dishwasher/washing machine at the off-peak rate and am actually saving a fair whack a month now compared to even the capped rate.

Have you also taken into account shifting some daytime loads to the overnight rate? When I did my maths IO was pretty much the same but we made the switch anyway (as it was a fix and the impending rise was looking major) and made sure to do dishwasher/washing machine at the off-peak rate and am actually saving a fair whack a month now compared to even the capped rate.

I haven't no but it's a good point. I just wanted to check the difference between charging the car during off peak v peak.

Just checked and its a matter of a couple of pounds per month saving which is probably not worth the behaviour change.

Reactions: Skie
Looking for some advice here.

Last year between October and December Octopus incorrectly emailed me to say they were sorry I was leaving. I replied to let them know I wasn’t leaving and they acknowledged it was an error in their part.

A year later they have just backdated an invoice for that period as they hadn’t billed it and they have billed me at the flexible rate of 18.8p rather than using my usage at the Go rates with the bulk of my usage being overnight at 5p when I charge my car.

It appears they didn’t take readings during this period due to their error so they just have an opening and closing energy reading.

I have challenged back and even pulled together a spreadsheet for my average usage by hour over the last year to suggest they use this to bill for that period. They have told me that in their standard terms they bill the flexible tariff if they don’t take smart meter readings.

This feels incredible disinguous as they’re over billing me by £500 for two months usage due to their error. Apparently I’m told they can do this as part of their standard terms.

Has anyone experienced this or got advice? I think it is disgusting given it is their error.

Thanks in advance.

Looking for some advice here.

Last year between October and December Octopus incorrectly emailed me to say they were sorry I was leaving. I replied to let them know I wasn’t leaving and they acknowledged it was an error in their part.

A year later they have just backdated an invoice for that period as they hadn’t billed it and they have billed me at the flexible rate of 18.8p rather than using my usage at the Go rates with the bulk of my usage being overnight at 5p when I charge my car.
Sounds terrible. I'd keep at them though, try bothering them on Twitter and play heavily that it is a fault entirely of their own making - you shouldn't be penalised.

If they have the data then it's completely unfair for them to just charge a default rate, T&C's or not. If they won't budge, lodge a formal complaint and kick up more of a fuss with people like Watchdog and Martin Lewis. But also make sure you raise a formal complaint with Octopus.

And if they still refuse, it's Energy Ombudsman time. Follow the Ofgem advice here Make a complaint about your energy supplier

Good luck, but I'd be surprised if Octopus don't sort you out when someone sensible digs into the issue.

You need to get them to escalate.. the people at the top have to power to make things right but it seems the CS people aren't passing them the difficult cases. Complain formally, then after 8 weeks the ombudsman is very easy to do - they won't ignore that.

Alas Octopus are just like other companies when they get big, they end up with a wall of phone answerers between them and anyone actually able to help.