Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All it says is you have to leave the IO app connected to the car. It says nothing about other usage and doesn't even imply it.. I don't know where people are getting that from.
Whether it applies to other cars depends on how you interpret 'low carbon technology' - it's either whatever you've registered with IO or something else - can't be everything as that would include my laptop, my phone... so that needs to be defined pretty tightly. If it's just what is registered with IO then other cars can be charged just fine.

Although I've been searching for 20 minutes now and I can't find the paragraph being quoted, so a link would have been nice.
exactly-point.gif

For me it's entirely clear regarding the first part - it all talks about the IO app connection and staying connected only. nothing about the usage. Not even an imply of how you should USE.
by the same logic what few others have here, you should never ever use electricity if you are not connecting your car, or by no means, allow your fried to use your charger during off-peak slots while they are, for example, staying at your house.

I struggle to see where please see such info in the Ts&Cs.

Please consider that us battery owners are not entirely stupid.
The problem is if a charging slot lands before 23:30, it’ll come off the battery and not from mains.
that is the only issue. But it does not mean that you cannot set the batteries to charge during off-peak slots.
Quote by NewbieT was that it's hard to make it to charge in specific slots.

but at the same time, if battery, which let's say has 7 kwh remaining by the time slot is being allocated, is being used during the off-peak slot, then it will deplate in 1 hr and then it will be charged, with off-peak slots immediately, as car charges... no?

only issue is if you have a gap between off-peak slots which are outside off-peak hrs. :/

I am not creating a new thread but IO has really been buggy lately.

First it takes hours for it to create a schedule after I plugged in.
Three days ago charging stopped around 3am halfway through my target charge.

And now this. Stops&go every ~20mins. Not sure that's even great for the battery...

1667380589790.png

Anyone else experiencing issues?

that is the only issue. But it does not mean that you cannot set the batteries to charge during off-peak slots.
Quote by NewbieT was that it's hard to make it to charge in specific slots.

but at the same time, if battery, which let's say has 7 kwh remaining by the time slot is being allocated, is being used during the off-peak slot, then it will deplate in 1 hr and then it will be charged, with off-peak slots immediately, as car charges... no?

only issue is if you have a gap between off-peak slots which are outside off-peak hrs. :/
If the car tries to charge after 05:30, say 06:30-11am with an IO slot, then the battery would drain into the car during that slot, leaving no energy in the battery for the house for the day.

There is currently no way to tell the battery to stop discharging and start charging during an IO slots outside of 23:30-05:30.

Reactions: Garry TheBiz
If the car tries to charge after 05:30 with an IO slot, then the battery would drain into the car leaving no energy in the battery for the house for the day.
oh, I wish to see any slot 5:30 :/
earliest I can get is like 19:30 but then I am at 10% battery and car charges up to like 5 am and slots would be used for battery top up as well :/

but I understand where issue is.

Please consider that us battery owners are not entirely stupid.
The problem is if a charging slot lands before 23:30, it’ll come off the battery and not from mains.
IMHO your car charger should be wired to the mains/solar only and never draw from batteries. Things should be set-up/wired differently. Batteries are preferred for house consumption only.

Reactions: yessuz
Absolutely staggering that some people have convinced themsleves this is Octopus Go with 2 extra hours tacked on the end. The ToS are really clear. Other than further highlighting certain section again in bold type I don't know what else can be done. We are through the looking glass into the post-truth world again.
No, ToS are not clear at all, like @Tony Hoyle wrote. Unless you can point, directly, where it says otherwise, there is nothing about the way to use it. All is about using app and allowing IO to connect to the car..

because by your logic your household should never use power when your car is not charging/plugged while at home, you are away from home of your friends visiting and charging.

oh, I wish to see any slot 5:30 :/
earliest I can get is like 19:30 but then I am at 10% battery and car charges up to like 5 am and slots would be used for battery top up as well :/

but I understand where issue is.
My car IO slots tended to be within 23:30-05:30, then up to 11am when needing. Never before 23:30.

The problem is you can’t set and forgot with powerwalls on IO. It’s not practical.

Also, unnecessary draining battery from the PW into the car is a complete waste of the PWs warranty, usage limit.

Last edited:
My car IO slots tended to be within 23:30-05:30, then up to 11am when needing a more. Never before 23:30.

The problem is you can’t set and forgot with powerwalls on IO. It’s not practical.
it probably depends on when you have set you car to be ready.
Since I always need to be ready at 6 am (quite often have to leave home at sheet o'clock :D) I get few cheap slots before 11:30 pm. but only if my battery is well below 50%

Heat pumps definitely.

The IO terms specifically mention heat pumps AND home batteries as examples of Low Carbon Technology

1667382309658.png

It's not the (home battery) charging side of things which is problematic. With IO as it currently stands, charging the EV during the additional cheap time slots will drain some power from the home battery, potentially leaving you in the situation where you're drawing grid power at peak rate for the remainder of the evening.

Powerwall owners could tweak the standby reserve to avoid the problem, but there's no official way to automate this based on up-coming IO time slots (unofficial hacks are do-able). I wouldn't be surprised if this also messed up the "AI"'s predictive charging behaviour, so IO is off the menu for me. Not that I could have it anyway, with two EVs in the garage.

If the car tries to charge after 05:30, say 06:30-11am with an IO slot, then the battery would drain into the car during that slot, leaving no energy in the battery for the house for the day.

There is currently no way to tell the battery to stop discharging and start charging during an IO slots outside of 23:30-05:30.

It depends on your inverter and what access the manufacturer allows. On mine (GivEnergy) it is very easy to stop the battery draining when the EV is charging. There are open APIs that allow this. Other inverters may not allow this. Octopus specifically reference this in the Terms:

1667382562432.png

So, in order to use this tariff you must have compatible equipment. There is no guarantee that all equipment on the market will work with this tariff.

Reactions: NewbieT
IMHO your car charger should be wired to the mains/solar only and never draw from batteries. Things should be set-up/wired differently. Batteries are preferred for house consumption only.
Unless the charger is fed from a tail upstream off the feed into the inverter, then the EVSE load is seen as any other house load. I'm not sure how you would wire the EVSE into solar and not have the battery seeing it as normal house load. Also, in plenty of cases you may actually want to dump battery into the car (I know that I have done so when there is lots of solar PV available)

I guess that the solar installer will wire it any which way that you like, but you would have to request it and pay for it. They are not mind-readers, after all.

If you wanted to guarantee that no battery will ever feed the EVSE then I guess that you'd have to install another Henley block into a mini consumer unit that is exclusively for the EVSE. The inverter CT clamp would then be downstream of this and any EVSE load would not been seen by the inverter. If the EVSE has a CT clamp then this would be mounted on the main incoming tail where it would pick up export to the grid.

Reactions: scdoubleu and WllXM
My opinion is different.
I like to charge my batteries on solar during the day when I’m at work and then used that stored power to charge my car when I get home.
It seems we have different priorities, which is fine, but that’s my rationale for having the EVSE (and indeed my whole house) on the battery-powered circuit.