Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What happens if the IO schedule starts an additional charge slot outside of the fixed low tariff eg 5:30-6?
As this is specifically directed at me - I simply extend the block discharge start or finish time for that day/night, always adding at least an additional hour either end to allow for IO rescheduling. It's always worked fine & never yet drawn anything from either inverter batteries.

(Often I set the 'ready by' time in IO to 05.30 so all the slots will be in the regular low cost period. Most car charging is in the 10-30% SOC range & almost always falls within the 6 hour slot anyway)

• Informative
Reactions: Astrape
How does this work?
Is it simply a case of spotting the >7.5kW house demand and preventing the battery from supplying during that time?
What tools are used for this, Home Assistant?
Is there a simple summary in a link summarising how to implement this?
Is this model specific if so which models support it?
There are a couple of ways of doing it. Current monitoring via a CT clamp is one, but I use a script with Home Assistant queries the API.

There is also some development going on within Octopus to natively support certain batteries - GivEnergy will be one of the first.

Octopus have said (on several of their recent podcasts) that IO will be for home batteries and heat pumps as well as other clean energy demand shifting technology, they have started with EVs, but the others will come in time.

They are looking at controlling air conditioning units in Texas for instance.

• Informative
Reactions: goRt and ACarneiro
Octopus have said (on several of their recent podcasts) that IO will be for home batteries and heat pumps as well as other clean energy demand shifting technology, they have started with EVs, but the others will come in time.

They are looking at controlling air conditioning units in Texas for instance.
Yeah my impression was that they will do all this in the future. I need to get at least one new night storage heater and could replace other ancient ones which are pretty inefficient storage compared with the latest. New ones can retain 90% of stored heat until the following evening which is neat, and release it to schedule or boost request and thermostat targets. I guess so long as they have capability for cloud scheduling they could be connected to IO. Or alternatively if I make sure they have an API that Home Assistant can call, then HA can schedule them whether they are compatible with IO future management or not. Night storage heater research is going to be my next task, as that could save me more for less investment than a storage battery.

Yeah my impression was that they will do all this in the future. I need to get at least one new night storage heater and could replace other ancient ones which are pretty inefficient storage compared with the latest. New ones can retain 90% of stored heat until the following evening which is neat, and release it to schedule or boost request and thermostat targets. I guess so long as they have capability for cloud scheduling they could be connected to IO. Or alternatively if I make sure they have an API that Home Assistant can call, then HA can schedule them whether they are compatible with IO future management or not. Night storage heater research is going to be my next task, as that could save me more for less investment than a storage battery.
A fair point however battery storage would be a lot more flexible.
I'm looking at utilising IO for my batteries ( when they arrive), M3 and the DHW cylinder.

I'm looking at utilising IO for my batteries ( when they arrive), M3 and the DHW cylinder.
Good point, lets consider the raw sum.

Old heaters store 15kW x 6 hours = 90kWh, and at least half of that is lost to heating during the night or being released throughout the day when its not needed. So say £1000 x 5 upgrades = £5000 saving 45kWh in winter. OK they are low cost kW. £5000 saves 32p x 10kWh / day x 180 days = £576
But one replaces a standard electric wall heater using 8kW /day that needs a storage heater saving 32p x 8kwh x 180 = £460 Total £1036
10kW battery cost £8000 saving 32p / kwhr all year 365 days = £1165

Night storage upgrade per £1000 has payback £207 / year.
Battery storage upgrade per £100 has payback £146 / year.
Actually theres not all that much in it and pricing details could move this around. But I dont like wasting 45kWhr of electric every day. So thats probably still the front runner.

Reactions: goRt
Hi, I have been on IO since February without issue. Since the update to 2022.40.4.2 I keep getting an message that octopus cannot control my device. I have ave tried rebooting the car which made no difference.

Anyone else have this issue
Hi

Last night was my first set of charges on IO - although it seemed to work pretty much (target 85% sitting on 82% right now), there was a notification on my phone saying "Octopus cannot control my device" - not sure when that arrived.

I am also on 2022.40.4.2...

I assume I just see what happens the next few nights?

Hi

Last night was my first set of charges on IO - although it seemed to work pretty much (target 85% sitting on 82% right now), there was a notification on my phone saying "Octopus cannot control my device" - not sure when that arrived.

I am also on 2022.40.4.2...

I assume I just see what happens the next few nights?
Just an update my nearly hourly IO start ahead of schedule has stopped. IO ran fine last night to schedule. Bizzare.

Good point, lets consider the raw sum.

Old heaters store 15kW x 6 hours = 90kWh, and at least half of that is lost to heating during the night or being released throughout the day when its not needed. So say £1000 x 5 upgrades = £5000 saving 45kWh in winter. OK they are low cost kW. £5000 saves 32p x 10kWh / day x 180 days = £576
But one replaces a standard electric wall heater using 8kW /day that needs a storage heater saving 32p x 8kwh x 180 = £460 Total £1036
10kW battery cost £8000 saving 32p / kwhr all year 365 days = £1165

Night storage upgrade per £1000 has payback £207 / year.
Battery storage upgrade per £100 has payback £146 / year.
Actually theres not all that much in it and pricing details could move this around. But I dont like wasting 45kWhr of electric every day. So thats probably still the front runner.
Sorry
I missed that you already had heaters.
With standard low cost heaters, you could ( I suppose) use a battery bank for winter and utilise the batteries for other uses in warmer weather.

This has probably been mentioned before...but...
We lost out on our 10p rate last night, due to a powercut.
This meant that the 30min readings were lost.
OK, it's cost us a few quid but it's worth remembering that IO is beta product and we don't have a lot of comeback.

This has probably been mentioned before...but...
We lost out on our 10p rate last night, due to a powercut.
This meant that the 30min readings were lost.
OK, it's cost us a few quid but it's worth remembering that IO is beta product and we don't have a lot of comeback.
There is usually a memory inside your smart meter. It should be able to store locally the last 10 days usage in 30 min increments and can transmit them afterwards so that shouldn't be the case.

There is usually a memory inside your smart meter. It should be able to store locally the last 10 days usage in 30 min increments and can transmit them afterwards so that shouldn't be the case.
That's what you'd think- however, I'm being told by Octopus " oh well, it's a beta product etc etc"
I'm none to worried about an occasional blip.
If it becomes more common, then I'll have to have another look.

The data is gathered by the DCC. Octopus just get a feed from that.. whether a particular tariff is 'beta' is completely unrelated to whether they have the data if they want it.

There are other companies that go direct to the DCC to show you smart meter data eg. loop, glow.. if you get problems regularly comparing with what they see could be useful (I have a glow stick and also I archive the lot in homeassistant for graphing.. I do get the odd half hour which is uploaded 'late' due to interference etc. but it all gets there eventually).

Reactions: Kashp and DaveNN