Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Saturday's (3rd Dec) reading missing. Tweeted Octopus this morning and soon after the readings appeared. I also had a failed charge on the night of the 3rd/4th and a message from the tesla app saying charging stopped at 12.47am. Had to leave to go out with 56% battery but got home with 6% left. Charged without issue last night to 70% and got slots for 11.5 hours. Thinking of getting a CAD (glow stick looks good) so I can see instant usage while out. (Thanks @Tony Hoyle )

Reactions: DaveNN
I had Saturday's (3rd Dec) reading missing. Tweeted Octopus this morning and soon after the readings appeared. I also had a failed charge on the night of the 3rd/4th and a message from the tesla app saying charging stopped at 12.47am. Had to leave to go out with 56% battery but got home with 6% left. Charged without issue last night to 70% and got slots for 11.5 hours. Thinking of getting a CAD (glow stick looks good) so I can see instant usage while out. (Thanks @Tony Hoyle )
I've mailed Octopus for an explanation.
A glow stick looks decent...Will need to find out how they work :)

I now have all my four savings session Octopoints showing in the Octopus account. It's a minuscule benefit to me but each has achieved the objective of reducing energy usage at the times required.

(it probably won't happen but I would rather not see more posts from people gloating about gaming the system for personal gain).

So with the new Intelligent Octopus the off-peak is 11:30 till 5:30... I don't see anything to stop you from just plugging in the car and setting it to charge in those hours and getting that rate like we do with the old Octopus Go? You only need to use the Octopus app to take advantage of the 'best' green times?

I guess I can see a future point where they could limit the Intelligent Octopus to only give you cheaper rates for kWH delivered to the car and measured via the app. But, I guess they could also end Octopus Go at any time too and force everyone to go Intelligent. We're all hostage to them really.

Has anyone stuck with Go rather than Intelligent and if so, why?

So with the new Intelligent Octopus the off-peak is 11:30 till 5:30... I don't see anything to stop you from just plugging in the car and setting it to charge in those hours and getting that rate like we do with the old Octopus Go? You only need to use the Octopus app to take advantage of the 'best' green times?
Because it's against the tariff ToS and they can kick you off it.

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has IO & swapped to a second Tesla.

I currently have two cars on my Tesla account (3 & Y) and the older one is going to be used by my Daughter for a month or two, then I will sell it.
Last night (forgetting that you can only have one car) I removed the Model 3 via the Octopus app, tried to sign up again ....because as far as the app is concerned all trace of IO including 'reconnect device' has vanished.

Inputting Tesla Model Y LR, Zappi 7kWh etc went through fine (& the sign up page recognised 'you are already on Intelligent Octopus') but adding my Tesla account credentials resulted in 'unable to connect' (tried 3 times).

It then dawned on me that of course my account still shows two Teslas! 🤦‍♂️

I seem to have 3 options:

1. Ask Octopus if there's some way for them to allow my new car to reconnect (the 3 will be at a different local location & never charged at my home again). This seems unlikely.
2. Remove the Model 3 from my Tesla account - but that seems like it might create problems in that it looks like it's sold but won't be yet.
3. Inform Octopus but ask if I can continue to schedule charges on the Y for a couple of months (no long journeys planned so not needing a lot of charging).

Option 2 would be the 'cleanest' as that will give me the correct setup going forward. If so, would creating a second Tesla user account and asking Tesla to transfer the car over to that be possible? I can forsee issues with their inflexibility and transferring the VIN & ownership back to the same person with just a different email address. Knowing Tesla this will become a real mess when I eventually want to sell the car.

(....an option 4. To 'not tell Octopus anything & just carry on charging the Y via schedule' is against my nature I'm afraid, especially as they will be able to see that I'm still on IO but apparently no longer with an EV)

Any advice is appreciiated

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has IO & swapped to a second Tesla.

I currently have two cars on my Tesla account (3 & Y) and the older one is going to be used by my Daughter for a month or two, then I will sell it.
Last night (forgetting that you can only have one car) I removed the Model 3 via the Octopus app, tried to sign up again ....because as far as the app is concerned all trace of IO including 'reconnect device' has vanished.

Inputting Tesla Model Y LR, Zappi 7kWh etc went through fine (& the sign up page recognised 'you are already on Intelligent Octopus') but adding my Tesla account credentials resulted in 'unable to connect' (tried 3 times).

It then dawned on me that of course my account still shows two Teslas! 🤦‍♂️

I seem to have 3 options:

1. Ask Octopus if there's some way for them to allow my new car to reconnect (the 3 will be at a different local location & never charged at my home again). This seems unlikely.
2. Remove the Model 3 from my Tesla account - but that seems like it might create problems in that it looks like it's sold but won't be yet.
3. Inform Octopus but ask if I can continue to schedule charges on the Y for a couple of months (no long journeys planned so not needing a lot of charging).

Option 2 would be the 'cleanest' as that will give me the correct setup going forward. If so, would creating a second Tesla user account and asking Tesla to transfer the car over to that be possible? I can forsee issues with their inflexibility and transferring the VIN & ownership back to the same person with just a different email address. Knowing Tesla this will become a real mess when I eventually want to sell the car.

(....an option 4. To 'not tell Octopus anything & just carry on charging the Y via schedule' is against my nature I'm afraid, especially as they will be able to see that I'm still on IO but apparently no longer with an EV)

Any advice is appreciiated
Just thinking outside the box, I don't believe I've seen that IO requires the 'main' Tesla account to be used.
So here's a workaround (option 4 :D ). Maybe what you could do is create a second Tesla account with a new email address. Add it as an additional driver for your new model Y, and use those credentials with IO as there will be only one car in it.
Let us know if it works!

you plug in and walk away, no messing. but 2 hours more.
I've only been on IO for about 4 days, but for two of those I plugged in at 6pm and got no schedule by 9pm, so was getting worried (I needed charge!). I went out, unplugged the car and plugged it back in - boom, schedule arrived almost straight away.

Last night I didn't plug the car in (wife's car was charging) but got a schedule delivered anyway at 8pm... 🤔

I'm sure it will settle down and turn into 'plug in and walk away' without worrying as confidence grows ;)

Think I preferred it when there was the drain issue from the car being kept awake due to excessive API polling. At least the workaround for that was straightforward.

The lack of reliable schedule creation is causing anxiety for people, especially new users - not what you want when you need your car juicing up overnight.

Reactions: Js1977
I've only been on IO for about 4 days, but for two of those I plugged in at 6pm and got no schedule by 9pm, so was getting worried (I needed charge!). I went out, unplugged the car and plugged it back in - boom, schedule arrived almost straight away.

Last night I didn't plug the car in (wife's car was charging) but got a schedule delivered anyway at 8pm... 🤔

I'm sure it will settle down and turn into 'plug in and walk away' without worrying as confidence grows ;)
Can I just ask, when you do first plug the car in what stops it charging straight away if no schedule has arrived at that point?

Can I just ask, when you do first plug the car in what stops it charging straight away if no schedule has arrived at that point?
Remembering I have only a couple of days use, and currently I have done nothing else (nothing set in the car)...

The car starts charging when I plug it in at 6:30pm (when I get home), and then stops - it appears to take between 5 and 20 minutes to stop 'automatically' - (I believe this is the way IO is meant to work - Octopus stop the charge). Then I wait, and wait, stressing about a schedule arriving. When nothing arrived by 9pm I went out and unplugged and plugged back in, it started charging again (as expected) and stopped almost immediately and the schedule arrived (this, I like!).

I believe you can manually stop the charge when it starts, and you should still get a schedule, and others have said to set a 'start charging' time in the car of 9pm (for example) so it doesn't start charging. However, I was going 'plain vanilla' to start with to see what happens and get some confidence.

I am currently wondering whether I should leave it 10 minutes after parking up, just to ensure the home location is logged and Octopus know I'm home 🤔

Reactions: HenryT