Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know why the ‘Charge Stats’ on the Tesla App doesn’t track off peak hours correctly. I recently joined Octopus Go and have set the tariff in the App. I have noticed that it doesn’t track the cost correctly. Last night charging started on schedule at 00:30 and only 5kw was required. The charge stats say £2, when it should be £0.60. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have definitely set the off peak tarrif correctly on the app so it’s frustrating!

Does anyone know why the ‘Charge Stats’ on the Tesla App doesn’t track off peak hours correctly. I recently joined Octopus Go and have set the tariff in the App. I have noticed that it doesn’t track the cost correctly. Last night charging started on schedule at 00:30 and only 5kw was required. The charge stats say £2, when it should be £0.60. Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue. I have definitely set the off peak tarrif correctly on the app so it’s frustrating!
Don't know but the Tesla app stats are nothing to do with Octopos

I actually think it’s related as I just joined Octopus and I imagine a number of people have experienced this. I sense some underlying tension from you. I hope you have a good festive season!
LOL what do you want, a tummy rub and a foot massage? 🤣

You manually input your own rates into the Tesla app. There is zero integration with your electricity provider.

• Funny
Reactions: ACarneiro
LOL what do you want, a tummy rub and a foot massage? 🤣

You manually input your own rates into the Tesla app. There is zero integration with your electricity provider.
No not at all. All I was thinking was that people on this forum may be experiencing the same issues when they changed to Octopus Go and it may be a simple answer. I simply thought, ‘everyone on this forum has the Tesla App and they are on Octopus too’. Just made sense to me.

I can see you think it doesn’t belong here which is fine. I just think you wasted a post on being smart when you could have been helpful, even if that was to say ‘I think this is the wrong forum’.

We were all new Tesla owners once!

• Funny
Reactions: browellm
You set your tariff up in the Tesla app by hitting
  • Charge stats
  • Settings
  • Home
It should prompt you then, or start from scratch if it’s first time. You have to enter start times for peak and off peak, and bear in mind Elon can’t count using numbers that have decimal places in them.

Reactions: Morpheus84
So what do we think about these short charging slots?
IO scheduled a 3:30 am slot to take my Tesla from 92 to 95%. In warm weather that should be 3.5kW which would be able to provide 3.5/60 = +6% / 16 miles.
What actually happened is this:
1671146631784.png

So the charge ran at 15Amps (out of possible 32) because of how cold it was - about -7C !!
The battery heater was on (shows to the right of the amps box).
The charger delivered 1.58kWh and 1.44kWh was transferred to the battery.
But the miles added shows 2.35 miles.
The Tesla thinks that 270 miles = 60kWh so 4.5 miles per kWh so only 2.35/4.5 = 0.52 kWh was added to the battery.

So of the 1.44kWh sent to the battery, 1.44-0.52 was lost = 0.92kWh.
Where did it go? Presumably it was reused heating the battery?

If so are short slots a bad idea at these temperatures?
If the charge took place over a longer period would the battery be able to warm up and achieve a higher rate?

• Informative
Reactions: Garry TheBiz
Where did it go? Presumably it was reused heating the battery?
Bjorn demonstrating what happens if you only have 16 Amps available. At -11C it took the battery 45 minutes to warm up enough to start to charge (1 degree/2 minutes, battery needed 10C to start charging).
Bjorn video low temp AC charge at -11C
Since the RWD only has 3.5kW battery heating available from the single motor, it will presumably also have the same limitation at these very low temperatures, and require 30+ minutes to get warm enough to start charging. Although a 7.5kW charger has more power available, the car cant use it to heat the battery faster, so it wont help until the battery warms up.
My car is currently at 85%, and IO schedule 3 half hour charges with gaps, lets see how it gets on......
12-12:30
2.30-3
3.30-4

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
I guess no one has found a way to 'force' IO manually to refresh in order to get a schedule? I've been plugged for hours and still waiting for one.
I'm only two weeks into IO, but I don't get a schedule if I manually stop the charge when plugging in. If I let Octopus stop it, I get a schedule every time.

This isn't what I expected after reading this thread - have I misunderstood?

I always manually stop after plugging in & if I don’t get a schedule I have found that sliding the target % or changing the ready-by time in the Octopus app then gives one, normally within seconds. I rarely need 100% so sliding between 95-100% usually does the trick, even though the car itself may be set for 70 or 80%.
Tried both of these already but no cigar…

Set Octopus to 100% needed, and the car to 95%. Then it'll give you more slots, and should get you to/closer to the 95% you want, even if it needs to heat the battery first.
My point was that if IO gives half hour charge sessions with gaps in between when the battery will cool again, will the battery actually get warm enough to take a useful charge. The cobalt batteries have a distinct advantage as they will charge normally on a 7.5kW charger at 0C according to Bjorn anyway.

Reactions: exlatccatsa