Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy, including Intelligent and go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. Do your test charge where you usually park and it won’t be a problem

Hey all.. after some advice after owning my Model 3 now for just under a month.

I am fortunate that I fixed in March 2022 so am on the 'old price cap' of 28p per kwh of electric and roughly 7p per kwh of gas until March 2023.
I'm of course wanting to look at Octopus go / Intelligent Octopus and am free to switch as I have an Ohme Home Pro charger installed at home already.
However, I've read / heard about concerns about Tesla app location and recognising being outside your home to get the correct charge rate?
Example: In the Tesla App, it states location is at Number 12, but actually live at number 18.

Would this have any impact / issue? I want to get in on the 4 - 6 hours of reduced tariffs at I think was 12p per KWh when I last checked and just transferring to the EPG rate for gas with Octopus from March but can anyone suggest if there would be any barriers / issues with the above??
If you link the ohme to Intelligent Octopus instead of the Tesla then the location of the Tesla is not used. IO knows when the car is in the right place for IO charging at the point the ohme is plugged into the Tesla.

Reactions: Skie and Js1977
A power cut on Friday night interrupted the Zappi charge as it rebooted in ECO+ mode. I hadn’t been aware that you can change the Zappi default mode to FAST so that it reboots in a state that will allow the car to resume the charge. After changing the default mode I power cycled the Zappi and the car can resume the charge that was in progress without needing a new charge start instruction. Very happy to have sorted that out as we have frequent power cuts here in the Forest of Dean, because trees....

Anyone used IO with a British Gas hive charger?
To use IO You either need a compatible charger or car. if you have a compatible car the charger is irrelevant. if you have a compatible charger the car is irrelevant.
the only compatible charger is ohme at present so I assume if you were on IO you would be using your Tesla as the connected device? in which case the charger type makes zero difference

Reactions: DaveNN
I’m having real issues with Intelligent Octopus.

The smart schedule stop/start charging is causing my wall charger to ‘trip’ therefore I’m waking up to a car that hasn’t been charged. It’s happened on several occasions now.

When I schedule the charging via the car / Tesla app it works absolutely fine so I know it’s not an issue with the charger itself.

I’ve emailed Octopus expressing my dissatisfaction and asking if due to the issues I can just schedule charging for the off peak hours via the car/app but no reply (I’m aware that agreeing to their smart schedule is part of the ToS so want to ask their permission first before I do).

The smart schedule stop/start charging is causing my wall charger to ‘trip’ therefore I’m waking up to a car that hasn’t been charged. It’s happened on several occasions now.

When I schedule the charging via the car / Tesla app it works absolutely fine so I know it’s not an issue with the charger itself.
That’s weird. IO is just doing the exact same thing you are when you hit the start charge button in the app, so it won’t be IO at fault but something about your wiring or overall load. Are you running other things in the cheap window, it could be they are introducing too much voltage to earth and would need a spark to diagnose, that’s the only way I think the wall connector itself would trip.

But I’d start by reducing the max amps the car will accept from that wall connector and see if it keeps tripping when scheduled.

Reactions: browellm and DaveNN
That’s weird. IO is just doing the exact same thing you are when you hit the start charge button in the app, so it won’t be IO at fault but something about your wiring or overall load. Are you running other things in the cheap window, it could be they are introducing too much voltage to earth and would need a spark to diagnose, that’s the only way I think the wall connector itself would trip.

But I’d start by reducing the max amps the car will accept from that wall connector and see if it keeps tripping when scheduled.
We don’t run anything else between 11:30 - 5z. If the load was the issue as you say, then surely it would still trip when I schedule the charge from the car/app? The only difference I can see between schedule charging from the car/app and the IO schedule charging is the stop/start pattern on the IO…

FYI - I am currently allowing 32A. Does this seem too high? If I reduce it, will it also reduce the KWH?

If you reduce the amperage then it will reduce the power to the car and therefor kWh delivered during the charging period.

32A at 240V (although this changes with grid fluctuations) will deliver 7.44kW, so therefor the car would receive 7.44kWh in one hour. If you drop it down to 16A then it will receive 3.72kWh in the same time.

This.
As noted, I can't see just how and why IO will cause this.
I tend to start my charge at a lowly 5A and increase accordingly.

I'm still finding that when I plug in, IO still gives me more than the usual 6hrs...but as my batteries are still at about 50%, I pull little/ nothing off the grid.
I now isolate my charger at the breaker and switch after 5pm...
Don't want to upset octopus by overstepping ...

This.
As noted, I can't see just how and why IO will cause this.
I tend to start my charge at a lowly 5A and increase accordingly.

I'm still finding that when I plug in, IO still gives me more than the usual 6hrs...but as my batteries are still at about 50%, I pull little/ nothing off the grid.
I now isolate my charger at the breaker and switch after 5pm...
Don't want to upset octopus by overstepping ...
I don’t know why it would affect the charging either - but something is clearly amiss and it’s the only variable that I’ve been able to identify. Are the Tesla Wall Chargers particularly temperamental?

I don’t know why it would affect the charging either - but something is clearly amiss and it’s the only variable that I’ve been able to identify. Are the Tesla Wall Chargers particularly temperamental?
Sorry, don't know.
I have a wallbox pulsar, made it dumb just in case.
One thing, could thus be load balancing?
That said, still no reason to drop out fully.

I’ve emailed Octopus expressing my dissatisfaction and asking if due to the issues I can just schedule charging for the off peak hours via the car/app but no reply (I’m aware that agreeing to their smart schedule is part of the ToS so want to ask their permission first before I do).
Having the same issue on occasion. Was really bad about 9 months ago and Podpoint came out to replace the dedicated breaker and that seemed to fix it. Until the last few weeks when it has happened again. Agree that it seems to happen when IO does lots of slots rather than one or two long ones. Especially when it does a few minutes then waits until the the next 30 minute slot… and starts again…

Edit - is the on off behaviour likely to make the breaker deteriorate over time? Unlikely?