Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus EV charge-point and smart meters

SpanishJ0n

Sep 1, 2020
Newbury UK
Just spoken to Octopus energy and they have confirmed that nearly all 'smart' chargers, including their EO mini 2 require the use of a pre-installed smart meter. This is a pain as I now have to contact my supplier and get them to install one before I am due to have the EO mini 2 installed...

PS apologies if posted in the wrong place...

Spanish

ItsNotAboutTheMoney

Jul 12, 2012
Maine
Just spoken to Octopus energy and they have confirmed that nearly all 'smart' chargers, including their EO mini 2 require the use of a pre-installed smart meter. This is a pain as I now have to contact my supplier and get them to install one before I am due to have the EO mini 2 installed...

PS apologies if posted in the wrong place...

Spanish

I think you're misunderstanding them.

A smart charger doesn't require a smart meter. It doesn't care about the meter. It's just a device that connects to the Internet via your home network (or some may do it directly) and has programming that enables you to do smart charging.

To take advantage of that and use the Octopus Agile tariff requires a smart meter to be installed.

You can install the smart charger and then get the smart meter later. Based on the reports of people here, how long it takes depends on where you live and how much you hassle Octopus.

Reactions: Clivew

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC