Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus EV charge-point and smart meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just spoken to Octopus energy and they have confirmed that nearly all 'smart' chargers, including their EO mini 2 require the use of a pre-installed smart meter. This is a pain as I now have to contact my supplier and get them to install one before I am due to have the EO mini 2 installed...

PS apologies if posted in the wrong place...

Spanish

Just spoken to Octopus energy and they have confirmed that nearly all 'smart' chargers, including their EO mini 2 require the use of a pre-installed smart meter. This is a pain as I now have to contact my supplier and get them to install one before I am due to have the EO mini 2 installed...

PS apologies if posted in the wrong place...

Spanish

I think you're misunderstanding them.

A smart charger doesn't require a smart meter. It doesn't care about the meter. It's just a device that connects to the Internet via your home network (or some may do it directly) and has programming that enables you to do smart charging.

To take advantage of that and use the Octopus Agile tariff requires a smart meter to be installed.

You can install the smart charger and then get the smart meter later. Based on the reports of people here, how long it takes depends on where you live and how much you hassle Octopus.

Reactions: Clivew