Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go - British Summer Time...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The FAQ about summertime on the Octopus web site is awful. There's about a page of waffle talking about IHDs (does anyone use these things?), but it never actually explicitly says whether the slot remains on GMT, or moves to BST. You might infer it, by this phrase:

Number one and most important: no matter what your IHD says, your off-peak period stays between 00:30 and 04:30.

But it's still ambiguous because if it "stays", it implies no change, which means it stays on GMT. All they had to do was mention the time zone and the times - less than half a line - but we get a page of waffle.

The FAQ about summertime on the Octopus web site is awful. There's about a page of waffle talking about IHDs (does anyone use these things?), but it never actually explicitly says whether the slot remains on GMT, or moves to BST. You might infer it, by this phrase

But it's still ambiguous because if it "stays", it implies no change, which means it stays on GMT. All they had to do was mention the time zone and the times - less than half a line - but we get a page of waffle.

I took that to mean 00:30- 4:30 no matter what time zone.

But now you have me thinking

Thanks all, think I’ve found the answer in my OHME app
1.30 - 5.30 BST according to them

Attachments

• 3E772D8D-B3D7-43AB-9EF1-EAB81E3F957F.png
    3E772D8D-B3D7-43AB-9EF1-EAB81E3F957F.png
    248.1 KB · Views: 428
Thanks all, think I’ve found the answer in my OHME app
1.30 - 5.30 BST according to them

... and as far as I am aware that is wrong...

Octopus make two clear statements:

"Number one and most important: no matter what your IHD says, your off-peak period stays between 00:30 and 04:30."

"This SHOULD be straightforward – but some customers have noticed that their in-home display (part of the smart meter infrastructure) shows the cheap rate kicking in at 01:30 following a clock change."

If the app is showing 1:30 then it too is wrong.

Reactions: Roy W.

"Number one and most important: no matter what your IHD says, your off-peak period stays between 00:30 and 04:30."
Unfortunately, that's anything but clear. What does "Stays" mean? - does that mean stays on GMT?, or stays on local time? If it's local time, then the slot doesn't "stay" - it moves forward an hour.

Unfortunately, that's anything but clear. What does "Stays" mean? - does that mean stays on GMT?, or stays on local time? If it's local time, then the slot doesn't "stay" - it moves forward an hour.

A time reference without a qualifier like GMT would have to move with the local time zone, and the second statement which you didn’t quote makes it clear that if it moved to 1:30 it would be wrong....

Reactions: MrBadger and tj333
I have to say that I didn't give this a second thought:rolleyes:

Thinking about it, I started with 'Go' last August and when DST changed in October nothing changed in my account to suggest that I should have changed my charging habits.

Exactly! It never occurred to me last time but I subsequently discovered that I didn't need to change anything anyway ... so this time when the clocks changed I was confident it would all happen without intervention ... and of course it did. Happy to recommend those golden 4 hours on Octopus!

... and as far as I am aware that is wrong...

"This SHOULD be straightforward – but some customers have noticed that their in-home display (part of the smart meter infrastructure) shows the cheap rate kicking in at 01:30 following a clock change."

If the app is showing 1:30 then it too is wrong.
Perhaps the best solution would be to ask Octopus ?

This is pretty unambiguous to me. Couldn't be simpler.

View attachment 528807
True, it says what it says, but doesn't clarify what happens when clocks change during the charge period.

In terms of Go, do you take that to mean that on the nights the clocks change, there is a 3 hour and 5 hour window, depending on which way they have changed?

(As in, starts at 12.30 GMT and ends at 04.30 BST = 3 hour window as the clock jumps forward one hour at 01.00 GMT?)