Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go price increases..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, but for some very stretched definition of "pay back" given the many thousands of pounds you paid for them. But at basically double the kWh rate from 6 months ago, and if the market takes a while to correct, then maybe the pay back period is "only" a decade instead of 2?

Why do you spend so much time on ROI ??

I enjoyed setting it all up, instead of buying new motorcycles and holidays during lockdown. Had a lot of fun designing it and it's all paid for.

ROI never even entered the decision process. The fact I'm even getting something back is a big bonus.

Having a lot of storage and failover, especially during Winter is a massive gift. World can go crazy and you'd never know.

Adding the EV is the last piece in the puzzle. Happy Days. 🙂👍

Last edited:
Reactions: browellm
Driving back from Bath last night past the co-op petrol station at Marksbury, let’s just say it was busy. That kind of smug?

With our current price we will be good over the next 12 months. The question is whether these really are short term issues in the market. We’re protected by the gas price cap over winter as well. Pretty lucky overall unless Octopus go under.
Small world.. drove past that station too yesterday afternoon, thought there was roadworks or something but it was a long queue :eek:

Why do you spend so much time on ROI ??

This.

If ROI was your only consideration then why would you buy a Tesla in the first place? (Or lots of things for that matter.)

I did some basic calculations before getting my Powerwall and I expected to save maybe £250 a year on electricity at a push, but now I can use an EV tariff to charge mine overnight that's looking more like £500/year and that's not the whole story.

Since my installation I've had ten power outages and one of the things that tipped the balance for me was having ~£2k of gear get killed by repeated power outages the year or so before; as far as I'm concerned I've probably saved the same again now. On top of that some of the outages have been in winter, which means my heating, lights and entertainment have stayed on for those hours - I don't know how you put a price on that, but I do know that ROI calculations won't tell me or my family.

I only have one PW at the moment, it'll more or less run the house through the entire peak period on days when I generate no solar, but I'm seriously considering a second one to give me some leeway or at least the ability to run some higher draw things during an outage. ROI for that? Don't care, I want the convenience.

Ok... this isn't right...

That's exactly what my system did before I complained and did these changes...

- Update your Zappy Firmware to the latest Version. Then select 'avoid battery drain' in the Zappy Menu.

See below how to set the Zappi V2 to avoid draining the battery. This should have been done at point of installation

You can tell if the Myenergi products can see your battery if you go onto the app you should be able to see your Grid Supply, Solar PV, EDDI, Zappi V2 and Battery. If there is no battery on the app then it is likely the Zappi will be draining the battery, as it will take the energy from any power source as long as it is delivering the charge. You may be missing a CT Clamp on the battery cables.

To set the Zappi V2 to the “Avoid Drain” function, please see below;

- Go to the Zappi Menu.

- Scroll to “Other Settings”.

- Scroll to “Advanced”.

- Select “Grid Supply”.

- Scroll to “Network”.

- Scroll down to “Battery” and select “Avoid Drain”

Use the up and down arrows on the charging point to set the function to “Avoid Drain”.
Press the three dashes button until you get to the main screen (where you started) again.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Now our system can charge our car AND the Powerwalls at the same time.

See download chart below...

As it's coming off dual charging, the step is the car finishing first, as it continues with the Powerwalls for a bit longer.

Tesla can tell you what your charging rate limit is... this is set by your installer, phone them and also ask for a Powerwall Firmware update.

Telephone Tesla Support on :

01628 450630

OR

Email:

[email protected]

View attachment 713606
Thanks for this really helpful advice. I can see my battery in the Myenergi app and I do have it set to avoid drain and there is a CT clamp on my battery line.

Not sure if a software update is needed, I’ll check though.

big thanks

Llama

I had my meter installed on Tuesday and got the email inviting me to join go today. No mention of the prices in the email or on the link they gave so I've emailed them to check if it's the current prices or the ones from August when I registered. Long shot but you never know....

Does anyone know in general terms whether switching to octopus go is advisable at the moment? Obviously prices have increased recently but just wondering if it’s still worth switching to get the overnight tariff or do I watch and wait?

It’s still going to be around ~£15 vs ~£4 to charge on current tarrif vs octopus go tariff!

They honoured my move to Intelligent octopus last week as I'd started the process before the price change. Locked in until next November now. Love how they pick the times to charge the car - it means I could have 5p electric anytime after 530pm.

Does anyone know in general terms whether switching to octopus go is advisable at the moment? Obviously prices have increased recently but just wondering if it’s still worth switching to get the overnight tariff or do I watch and wait?

It’s still going to be around ~£15 vs ~£4 to charge on current tarrif vs octopus go tariff!
Personally I think the problem you could have by switching is your non-ev related energy cost could increase by enough to offset the benefit from the reduced charging prices, unless you’re already on a high rate already!