Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go price increases..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They honoured my move to Intelligent octopus last week as I'd started the process before the price change. Locked in until next November now. Love how they pick the times to charge the car - it means I could have 5p electric anytime after 530pm.
really. they offered it to me at different hours: "How it works: You’ll get a six hour low-cost night rate at 5p/kWh between 11:30pm and 5:30am"
As I understand it you get the full 6 hours at 5p whatever happens but you let them decide when your car charges. Not sure how they stop you from starting the charge earlier though using the app or in the car?

really. they offered it to me and: "How it works: You’ll get a six hour low-cost night rate at 5p/kWh between 11:30pm and 5:30am"
As I understand it you get the full 6 hours at 5p whatever happens but you let them decide when your car charges. Not sure how they stop you from starting the charge earlier though using the app or in the car?

They can't, basically. So you can charge on the basic 6 hour schedule if you want.

Yeah it links in with the Tesla account and they control when to charge. You plug the car in after 5.30pm, tell it what percentage and time you need it by and they work out when best to charge.

So tonight, mine will charge between 930pm-10pm and 12am-5am. Essentially 5p for electric at 930pm for 30 mins. Got my bill today and it all matches with what they say:
1633464195407.png

From the app:
"When we charge - we'll occasionally charge your car outside the off-peak window, Don't worry, all Smart Charging is billed at the off peak rate."
"You can bump charge it at any time, but will be billed at the normal rates"

Reactions: moodel_tree
I have been on the same glad i switched, i think you get billed any usage in that 30min at the 5p not just what you charge, i have an iPhone app that compares vs Agile and the saving at the mo is huge, really hope Octopus have hedged thier usage or could start costing them, funny i still try to charge at lower agile rates even though makes no odds to me,

Reactions: Simavon
Does anyone know in general terms whether switching to octopus go is advisable at the moment? Obviously prices have increased recently but just wondering if it’s still worth switching to get the overnight tariff or do I watch and wait?

It’s still going to be around ~£15 vs ~£4 to charge on current tarrif vs octopus go tariff!
I started a switch to Octopus a few days ago (current Bulb - normal vari tariff) but looked at Bulbs EV tariff and decided to switch to that instead.

Yeah it links in with the Tesla account and they control when to charge. You plug the car in after 5.30pm, tell it what percentage and time you need it by and they work out when best to charge.

So tonight, mine will charge between 930pm-10pm and 12am-5am. Essentially 5p for electric at 930pm for 30 mins. Got my bill today and it all matches with what they say:
View attachment 718158

From the app:
"When we charge - we'll occasionally charge your car outside the off-peak window, Don't worry, all Smart Charging is billed at the off peak rate."
"You can bump charge it at any time, but will be billed at the normal rates"

So presumably any glitch that affects any one of: home to car wifi, home router, ISP, Tesla server, Octopus server, Smart charge point ... may mean that you wake up to an uncharged car.

So presumably any glitch that affects any one of: home to car wifi, home router, ISP, Tesla server, Octopus server, Smart charge point ... may mean that you wake up to an uncharged car.

I leave scheduled charging turned on to start at 23:30, so even if there is a failure in one of the above the car should still charge. Having said that, I think Octopus stop this scheduled charge shortly after it starts if was not in their planned window, so still a chance of not being fully charged if there is a breakdown in communication later in the night.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado

I think based upon history, Tesla blocking third party use of their API is going to be a real concern too. It would be interesting to know if Octopus have gained official approval to use the API otherwise it may suddenly end up being blacklisted without warning like several other services have found happen from time to time.

I don't understand how this 'restrictive' charging will work with Solar Array & Powerwalls.

I can charge the car without going to the Grid, so hows that going to work?

I'd start getting miffed if Octopus Energy cut me off, when it's nothing to do with them 😁

Even now during 'Winter' I download like a Terrorist between 00:30 and 04:30 ... 50-60 kWh typically.

Screenshot_20211006-090410_Tesla.jpg

It's quite simple. You can "boost" charge any time you like. You're just paying the standard /kWh charge in that case. If that means you're using excess solar, then so be it.

In just the same way you could boost charge all the way through the 23:30-5:30 slot if you wanted.

I need to dig into this a bit more, appreciate prices are rising really fast, but 4x seems like a lot. I think it's actually just my Gas tariff that's ending, but this suggests that by renewing I'm starting a new fixed term for both gas and electricity:

View attachment 713554

View attachment 713555

I didn't take any action on the email above and just let the fixed term for gas expire. It went to 2.53p/kWh and 17.00p/day standing charge which appeared to reduce?

1639745728469.png

Yesterday I got this notification from Octopus as my Go tariff for electricity was expiring:

We thought you should know that on 17th December 2021, you'll reach the end of your fixed term, and automatically moved to Octopus Go: our always great value variable tariff.

Our prices have been adjusted recently to account for the latest changes in wholesale costs. You'll always find the most up-to-date rates in your online account.

You don't need to do anything, but if you'd like to fix your prices, you can do so at any time in your online account.

My previous tariff was:

1639746077113.png

So I followed the link in the email and was met with:

1639746121981.png

This was their 'Loyal Octopus 12M Fixed' tariff. The 'Octopus 12M Fixed' tariff was even more eye watering.

So based on their calculations, this was an increase of around 350% for a new 12 month electricity and gas contract.

Dug around a bit and what wasn't obvious to me, hence the reason for this post, is that if you are on Octopus Go you can take out a new plan on Octopus Go by following this link, not the one provided in the email:

This is my new tariff:

1639746448715.png

So my daytime unit rate has increased by ~10p per kW, the day rate reduced by 5p and importantly I've managed to retain the 5p overnight right where the majority of my energy is used - Not terrible given current energy costs.

My gas has increased a bit so I'm going to see if I can change this tariff without impacting my electricity tariff but only a small amount of my overall fuel consumption is gas so it's not a huge concern.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Batteries, if you can afford them, are the answer if the price stays this high. About £5k to £8k for around 10kWh with inverter.. you don't need solar. Just charge them at night on the 5p rate and let the house run during the day on them. The payback time is reducing as the price of electricity goes up.

Reactions: JupiterMan
I've heard of people (well, one person) being able to keep going on their old Octopus Go rate. No idea how, but that's what I'm aiming to do if I can (obviously).
My fixed term Go Faster rates ended yesterday. The email I got said I’d be rolled over to their variable Go Faster tariff, which didn’t make much sense. I gave them a call and was told if I didn’t do anything I would remain on the existing Go Faster tariff. I’ve had a look today and it’s still showing my previous rates, though I’m not confident of that remaining!

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel