Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go - Specific Charging Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has been answered already but I'm finding it so difficult :/

Switch to Octopus Go (finally)

I want my car to charge between 00.30 and 4.30am every day and not charge outside these times unless specified.
(I don't use much energy and the 4.5 hours a night charging will be more than enough)

I am using the Ohme App but also have the EV energy app and ofcourse the Tesla app.
I've tried on all three but no success :(

What issues have you had with ev.energy?

I'm using these settings with Go successfully:

SmartSelect_20210217-204341_evenergy.jpg

I plug the car in then stop the charging in the Tesla app. Then ev.energy starts the charging at around 00.34.

I reckon on about `10% an hour, so that gives me 40% within the time slot. So long as I don't need more than 40% a night I'm good, and even if it's 50% I need it's still mostly cheaper.

Or if you have something like teslafi you can set up start/stop schedules for every day of the week with a whole host of parameters.

Last edited:
In what way did the Ohme app not work? Presumably you set it up with the correct tariff and used the Tesla log in. There's a setting within the app to prevent it charging above 5p/kWh. That being the case, it will only charge between 00:30 and 04:30. If it can't charge to the set target SoC within that time it will automatically reduce the target. Has worked flawlessly for me since I got Agile and subsequently Go. Their support are usually pretty responsive if you have any problems (can access within the app).

I have the same set-up (with Ohme charger) and this works for me, I just plug the car in and it's charged in the morning.
  • set car to start charging 00:30 with desired SOC
  • Connect Ohme app to Tesla account to allow Ohme app to read SOC
  • choose Octopus Go tarrif in Ohme app
  • set 'never charge above 5p p/kWh' in Ohme app
  • Create a charge schedule (mine is set to daily) with your desired end SOC to match car and finish time of 04:30. This allows the Ohme charge to calculate the charge time and warn you iif your desired SOC can't be achieved.
Bob's your uncle...

Hope that helps

Last edited:
have you considered the Octopus Go Faster tariff where you can charge from 2030hrs for 5 hours at 5.5p - there are other variations with different start times and length :

The choices are:

Option 1. Take a 3-hour Go period at 4.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30, 01.30, 02.30 or 03.30
Option 2. Take a 4-hour Go period at 5.0p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30, 01.30 or 02.30
Option 3. Take a 5-hour Go period at 5.5p/kWh and select a start time of 20.30, 21.30, 22.30, 23.30, 00.30 or 01.30

so you can plug in to your charger and just use the tesla onboard start charge setting to the go faster start time (ignoring the ohme app etc as i found them a pain to use at home and at public chargers)

to get it you just need to email octopus and ask for the go faster invite

Reactions: drewpost
Moderator comment - thread moved from "Scheduled Charging"

Hi all

I’ve just had my A2 installed and obviously want to take advantage of my Go Tariff.

The Andersen app has a very straightforward scheduled charge option and I know the Model 3 also has similar.

My question is this, which should I use and why? Plus, can someone tell me how I get the scheduled charge (without pre-condition) on the car itself to work? I just want to set it like the app, time on and time off, from what I can see, I can’t do that. It’s asking for a time of departure and when I toggle that off and just go for Off Peak Charging, it’ll only let me state the start time and not the finish time?

Any help, as always greatly welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Model 3 doesn't really have a complete or usable scheduled charging capability, unfortunately. You can set the charge start time, but not the charge stop time, or you can set the charge stop time but not the charge start time, so this means you cannot set both a start and a stop time, only one or the other.

I always use the charge point to control charge timing, so that it turns on a few minutes after the nominal off peak start time and turns off a few minutes before the nominal off peak end time. I add a buffer of a few minutes as the actual start and stop times may differ by a minute or two between the two different clocks.

The Model 3 doesn't really have a complete or usable scheduled charging capability, unfortunately. You can set the charge start time, but not the charge stop time, or you can set the charge stop time but not the charge start time, so this means you cannot set both a start and a stop time, only one or the other.

I always use the charge point to control charge timing, so that it turns on a few minutes after the nominal off peak start time and turns off a few minutes before the nominal off peak end time. I add a buffer of a few minutes as the actual start and stop times may differ by a minute or two between the two different clocks.
Thanks

Yeh, I’m gonna try the charger app schedule first tonight and see how we go.
Guess it’s just trial and error really.