Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go tariff billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A question for those on the Octopus Go tariff. I've been with Octopus since mid-October and went on to the Go tariff after a few days. Since then I've not had one bill for electricity. I provide a meter reading for gas every month (no smart meter for gas) and get a bill for gas every month.
How often do you get billed for electricity?

A question for those on the Octopus Go tariff. I've been with Octopus since mid-October and went on to the Go tariff after a few days. Since then I've not had one bill for electricity. I provide a meter reading for gas every month (no smart meter for gas) and get a bill for gas every month.
How often do you get billed for electricity?
I'm in the same position, I get a gas bill every time I submit a gas reading but nothing for electricity. BTW I have a smart meter for gas but they don't seem to be collecting the data 🤔

Thank you chaps for your replies. Sounds like sporadic billing for electricity is standard then! I might do as suggested and email them to request a bill. It would be nice to get a feel for how the pennies are stacking up. The other daft bit is that since joining them my direct debit payment each month is set at £68 - obviously nowhere near enough. I figure though that they will eventually adjust it and the money may as well stay with me in the meantime!

I had to nudge them for an electricity bill after about 3 months as I hadn’t had a bill since getting a smart meter fitted so had no idea where I was at! Happily since then I’ve been getting monthly gas & electric bills as expected. First electricity one was a bit of a monster though in terms of pages - 120 I think it was as it had 3 months of daily Go print outs! Thankfully all electronic, not printed 😃

No electricity bills since Sept. Gas has been fine.

I've a smart meter, and explore my usage shows it all... but no bills. I've emailed and asked for one, but nothing so far.

I've been on Go for over a year, and first had this problem when they were missing the odd days reading from the Smart Meter. Turned out it was a defective meter, so they've updated the firmware, then got a few bills, and back to none since Sept.

It seems if one half hour period is missing it stops generating electricity bills. You can use the API and it will tell you if there are any missing periods. If you have missing periods then email Octopus and they will get the data and submit a bill covering the missing bill periods. That's what I did...
API link
Octopus Energy APIs — Octopus Energy API 1.0 documentation

Reactions: JaseW
I've never had a bill automatically generated, I have to email.

I use the API to fetch half hourly readings and there are none missing, yet still the bill isn't generated.

When I enquired about this I was told that it's a beta product and so I should expect these issues.

So... Basically I email every couple of months and ask for a bill, which is then instantly generated.

There may be more than one issue here. I check the itemised half hourly billing as well, never have I been charged the standard rate for any day ever. Every half hour accounted for and all the correct rate for time of day, it's lots of pages of billing to scan through.

Absolutely no missing half hour readings, yet no automatic billing for me ever.

The smart meters hold a copy of the readings for some time and they can be requested again by the supplier, so whatever the fault is can only really be within the way Octopus manage this.

Now... I wouldn't be surprised if different organisations all blame each other as is sadly often the case.

Been with octopus since august, switched to go immediately. No electricity bill yet. They’re showing around £1100 in credit. I’ve done my own calculations based on downloading the data. Should be around £400 in credit. I’ve reduced the direct debit since they’re not adjusting it at all.