Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go tariff billing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was getting bills on Go monthly from December 2020 to October 2021, then they stopped, same for gas - although that just caught up. I’ve got smart meters and can see the data on their website, so sure they will sort it at some point.

A question for those on the Octopus Go tariff. I've been with Octopus since mid-October and went on to the Go tariff after a few days. Since then I've not had one bill for electricity. I provide a meter reading for gas every month (no smart meter for gas) and get a bill for gas every month.
How often do you get billed for electricity?
You need to email them...

They are literally swamped right now. If you email them, a poor underpaid support person will generate your bill in about a week.

Reactions: yessuz
I may be wrong, but aren't there Ofgem rules on back-billing where energy companies cannot bill you for energy used more than 12 months ago if they haven't billed you or have given you an inaccurate bill - and as long as you haven't obstructed them from getting readings?

I'm on Octopus Go and always have to email them to get a electric bill. I was also told by Octopus this happens if you have any missing 30 min readings. Like others I can see each days 30 min reading on their portal so I'm not doing anything to obstruct readings :)

thanks thought so, although the daily usage from the smart meter monitor seems far higher, will need to investigate a bit more

Oh that's normal unfortunately. It does not affect billing in anyway though, the actual billing will be correct. The in home display is just that, an in home display and it's not actually involved in billing. Unfortunately these displays can't cope yet with these dual rate tariffs, maybe they never will. The smart meter rollout was never especially smart.

That monitor is locked on the peak rate, although some people report theirs is locked on the cheaper rate.

Reactions: hash
Octopus GO have stopped billing me again!

Checked using Smart Meter Reports website and found 2 missing electricity 1/2 hours readings and 2 days (96 1/2 hour readings) are missing.

I have emailed them again and hopefully they will sort it out before the new tariff starts in April. I do have to wonder how good their back office systems are when they can't capture these events automatically?

No wonder I was so much in credit as this happened at the beginning of the year!

I think mine stored even longer than that when I had a similar problem for over 6 months

It's not just the meter... it doesn't go from the meter to Octopus... it goes via some central system run, I think, by Capita.

So when you have issues like this where there's the odd half hour missing, it's not the meter that's the problem, it's the Ocotopus Capita link. I was missing reading for many many many months, and even had a meter firmware update, and they still managed to "retrieve" as they put it the missing readings.

I found that I just needed to keep prodding them.

Even when they have the readings they're all over the shop. Last month I got an Electricity only bill, which was a catchup from 2 months prior. This month I get both, but the gas is a catchup from mid December. It's not that they've missed any readings, it's just slightly organised chaos there. Imagine if your bank worked in the same way!

It seems if one half hour period is missing it stops generating electricity bills. You can use the API and it will tell you if there are any missing periods. If you have missing periods then email Octopus and they will get the data and submit a bill covering the missing bill periods. That's what I did...
API link
Octopus Energy APIs — Octopus Energy API 1.0 documentation
That is the real problem. missing meter readings whether they matter or not!