Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go tariff renewal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

My Octopus Go tariff is up for renewal. It’s currently 5p/15p and they are offering a new deal of 7.5p/33.75p.

Suddenly the standard rate of 20.8p/29.12p looks more attractive. It’s almost 5ppkWh cheaper for 20 hours of the day and, as I don’t do that many miles, I have little use for off-peak charging (plus I have free supercharging). So it’s a no-brainer.

Also, were I to commit to a year of Go, would I be stuck there should the standard price come down ?

Or, with the prospect of another price hike in the Autumn, is this Go offer actually good (and will it even be available if prices jump again?).

Thoughts ?

Your standard rate offer is 1p less on peak and off peak than I was quoted when I renewed Go back in April (for June), AND your Go peak is 2p per unit cheaper. But having said that an Intelligent Octopus quote now gives my peak rates same as they offered me then, so perhaps thats regional variation.

Price cap predictions out today not looking good

Hello Everyone,

My Octopus Go tariff is up for renewal. It’s currently 5p/15p and they are offering a new deal of 7.5p/33.75p.

Suddenly the standard rate of 20.8p/29.12p looks more attractive. It’s almost 5ppkWh cheaper for 20 hours of the day and, as I don’t do that many miles, I have little use for off-peak charging (plus I have free supercharging). So it’s a no-brainer.

Also, were I to commit to a year of Go, would I be stuck there should the standard price come down ?

Or, with the prospect of another price hike in the Autumn, is this Go offer actually good (and will it even be available if prices jump again?).

Thoughts ?
As far as I know, there is no tie in penalty. You can move off Go whenever you like.

Hello Everyone,

Thoughts ?
Look at your previous statements and plug in the new numbers to find your blended unit rate. That'll tell you which deal is better.

I'm getting ~16p/kwh on a 35/7.5p tariff. That's 2 people working from home all day, 800 miles a month in the m3 and a PHEV that probably sucks 80-100Kwh a month.

Hello Everyone,

Thoughts ?
I'm similar to you in that I do relatively few miles but run a busy home office with quite a lot of energy being used. So I've stayed on their variable tariff for now. We have solar and 19kwh of storage batteries going in later this year so at that point I will definitely be jumping on to one of the Octopus tariffs with low night rates. I think EDF also offer one?

Like you I also have some concerns about whether Go etc will be pulled or considerably hiked at some point and so I may jump earlier than planned and take the hit on day rate for a couple of months. At least the smart meters are now in place and seem to be working well, so a quick switch should be possible. Tricky innit!

It's less clear cut than it used to be, but if you can shift some load to the night, I think there is still a saving for most.

I suspect the flexible octopus prices will increase come the next round of price cap changes

The point is that the Go rate is fixed for a year, the standard rate isn't but is riding along at the price cap for the UK. The prediction is that the price cap will go from 28p to somewhere near 42p from 1st October. Octopus have tried to anticipate that in the Go daytime rate.

Go's daytime rate isn't mean to be higher than typical fixed rates.

don't have a link, but I did check them a couple of months back and you can swap out of Go but there was a restriction on re-joining, like you could leave with just a month's notice but only re-join after 3 months.
But like the others have said, you need to factor in your total consumption, electric cars use a huge amount of power, and even doing minimal amounts of driving you may find that if you can move things like dishwasher & washing machine to run overnight as well it's cheaper to take the lower rate off peak.
I'm also looking at a battery storage option, even without solar as a single 9WKh battery would be able to run my house fine during the day.

don't have a link, but I did check them a couple of months back and you can swap out of Go but there was a restriction on re-joining, like you could leave with just a month's notice but only re-join after 3 months.
But like the others have said, you need to factor in your total consumption, electric cars use a huge amount of power, and even doing minimal amounts of driving you may find that if you can move things like dishwasher & washing machine to run overnight as well it's cheaper to take the lower rate off peak.
I'm also looking at a battery storage option, even without solar as a single 9WKh battery would be able to run my house fine during the day.
leave / re-join ... that rings a bell.

minimal driving ... I was aiming for "zero" (free supercharging), but I agree that there is still value in the off-peak Go rates - even if just for "emergencies".

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I've always assumed that "our Octopus Go Tariff is designed for customers who either own or long term lease a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid vehicle that they will be charging at home" means that in time they will move to insisting Go-style tariffs are all intelligent and linked to the car to stop us doing our washing/drying our clothes/filling our home batteries on the "car" rate... that Go is a Trojan horse for Go Intelligent which is a Trojan horse for "Stop that! It's for your car, not your socks"

I've always assumed that "our Octopus Go Tariff is designed for customers who either own or long term lease a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid vehicle that they will be charging at home" means that in time they will move to insisting Go-style tariffs are all intelligent and linked to the car to stop us doing our washing/drying our clothes/filling our home batteries on the "car" rate... that Go is a Trojan horse for Go Intelligent which is a Trojan horse for "Stop that! It's for your car, not your socks"
Unless they insist on a separate smart meter for your EV charger that can't happen. What they do want to be able to do is manage the vast amount of 7kw chargers as efficiently as they can - customers bundling in a dryer or washer alongside is a fair trade off and will be reflected in the cost of the night rates.

• Informative
Reactions: candida