Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go versus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you looking to switch to Octopus to either the 'Agile' or 'Go' tariffs but don't currently have a suitable SMART tariff,

The below current interim tariff (southern rates) while waiting is not bad currently.

Thankfully my SMETS2 install is happening next week followed by transition to 'Go' and then I can also start mulling over the 'Go' or 'Agile' conundrum
upload_2020-11-7_13-30-33.png

Reactions: Amiable
How long did it take for your install to be arranged?
Basically It took about a month to get a date. I chased them up earlier this week and managed to get a smart meter replacement appointment for end of next week (replacing Scottish power SMERTS1 not so smart meter) - So in total between switching to Octopus and Smart Meter install just under 6 weeks.

While I was at it switched to cheaper interim tariff, of which the gas rates will still apply once I have switched the electricity to 'Go'.

They warn you that after the smart meter install it can take up to 2 weeks to switch for the smart meter to be taken into service sand for the 'Go' switch to happen.

Note: Impression so far of Octopus.
  • Calling: Call answered quickly and very helpful and friendly staff (That's how got to cheaper interim tariff)
  • Emailing: Not the quickest but response was gold (Led to my smart meter appointment)
  • Online: Web is not bad and dashboard is simple yet informative (Love the API's). Puzzled no Android app and to see the available tariffs you need to logout and you can't change tariff online you need to call

• Informative
Reactions: Amiable
Just stumbled across this site:

Grafana

It uses the Octopus API to collect and store all historic Agile rates for your region and outputs using Grafana, similar to TeslaMate,

Was interesting to see that the average all day unit price since the launch of Octopus Agile in February 2018 was 11.59p. Compare that to the last 12 months, which include lockdown whilst still inclusive of the typically more expensive winter months was 7.36p.

Here are some screenshots of the last 12 months for the Scotland South region. Set to your own region by changing the area filter.

upload_2020-12-7_20-4-38.png

upload_2020-12-7_20-5-3.png

@DaveW There's some data for your spreadsheet ;)

• Funny
Reactions: DaveW
I've just started using a new IOS app 'Octopus Compare' (I believe this was launched yesterday) & it's reassuring to see that in spite of recent Agile pricing my usage patterns still show a lower monthly cost than if I used Go.

API key/account number gives comparison to any Octopus tariffs based on historical usage. Very useful & has allowed two of my relatives on other Octopus plans to see how much they could save by switching around tariffs,

GE46JbO.jpg

I've just started using a new IOS app 'Octopus Compare' (I believe this was launched yesterday) & it's reassuring to see that in spite of recent Agile pricing my usage patterns still show a lower monthly cost than if I used Go.

API key/account number gives comparison to any Octopus tariffs based on historical usage. Very useful & has allowed two of my relatives on other Octopus plans to see how much they could save by switching around tariffs,

GE46JbO.jpg
Not available on Android as far as I can see although I have just found an app called 'Octopus Go Agile' which seems to have the same feature set.

GE46JbO.jpg
Comparisons are rather flawed as they can't predict how you would have changed behaviour. For example, if I look back a few days you can see on Agile I charged at the lowest price in the night, and the comparison shows overall it was slightly cheaper.

However, if I had charged between 00:30 and 04:30 I bet that Go would have been cheaper.

upload_2021-1-4_19-54-43.png

Reactions: philgods
Comparisons are rather flawed as they can't predict how you would have changed behaviour. For example, if I look back a few days you can see on Agile I charged at the lowest price in the night, and the comparison shows overall it was slightly cheaper.

Yes thats right, rather difficult based on actual use data, much better with a predictor using rates and the variable of how much you wanted to charge the car, I think there was a guy who made on of these.

I've just started using a new IOS app 'Octopus Compare' (I believe this was launched yesterday)

Thank you for the heads up on this.

I’m relatively lazy when it comes to analysing data sets like these but this app looked like an easy option.

I’d recently decided that, because we are using loads of power between 4pm and 7pm each evening when cooking (we didn’t do this when I chose Agile as we commuted during those hours), Go was likely to be better for us and I was going to switch.

I appreciate that I would be timing the car charging differently but it’s hard to believe I could save money on Go when this app tells me I’ve spent £665 with Agile and it would have been over £1500 with Go. This is since June 2020.

Based on your costs I need to drill down into the detail and see where my power is going.:(

It looks like I’ll be sticking with Agile in the meantime as my hunch was wrong.

Thanks again.

Comparisons are rather flawed as they can't predict how you would have changed behaviour.

We all have different usage patterns.

In my case we still have some solar input/battery storage to supplement grid usage but because we are home all day, various appliances are in use at rates normally lower than Go at those times.

My wife likes to bake during the day & car charging at the moment is very infrequent so only washing machine, tumble dryer & dishwasher tend to be programmed but by no means every night.

I'm happy to take the longer view and accept Agile for what it is. The overall difference for us if we switched to Go (including a month on a standard tariff before being allowed to return) would be marginal.

I was mistaken, have searched & found a definitive answer from Philip Steele of Octopus Energy: 'You can leave a smart tariff even if you’ve only been on it for a few days. We don’t block leaving a tariff. You just can’t start another smart tariff if on the previous one less than 30 days'.

& an explanation:

'We’ve recently made a change to how often you can switch between our Agile Octopus and Octopus Go smart tariffs. These tariffs offer customers the ability to unlock cheaper (and greener) electricity prices by using energy at particular times. They work best with that change in behaviour, and are designed for the long term.

For our fixed tariffs, we buy a customer’s energy for the 12 months ahead and price the tariff so that there’s a small margin for us to cover the costs of doing business. Our Flexible (SVT) tariffs follow the market more closely so can go up or down (but we’ll always give fair notice of any changes) and are bought in advance too, but for shorter periods..

Agile Octopus is designed to do away with all that: with prices based on the day-ahead wholesale market and charged based on what a consumer actually uses each half hour. Agile Octopus customers are then able to adapt when they use their energy, in particular avoiding peak times, to make significant savings.

We don’t hedge the consumption of Agile customers - ie. we don’t buy their energy in advance, The whole point is that prices reflect the current wholesale market. But we do hedge fixed tariffs (including Octopus Go). As such, if Agile customers switch to a fixed tariff, we then hedge their expected consumption - we buy it in advance at fixed prices. If customers then switch back to Agile, we’re stuck with having bought it according to standard consumption, but then paying for it according to the prevailing wholesale market every half hour.
So customers moving from Agile to fixed tariffs is ok, moving back the other way is harder for us.

Octopus Go is a great tariff with its off-peak rate of only 5p between 00.30 and 04.30, so it’s not surprising it’s seen as attractive. Octopus Go is hedged according to the expected consumption profile of a Go customer - that is, we buy your energy in advance for every half hour, based on our experience of typical Go customers. So if a Go customer switches back and forth between other tariffs, and changes consumption patterns, our hedging no longer works. So, as with Agile, we need to reduce the speed at which people can switch back and forth between Go and other tariffs'.

Also made the move from Agile to Go yesterday, the Agile prices over the last month or more have just been far too high for my liking. I charge my Powerwall at the cheapest rate which gets me through to the next day and the car now and again so offsetting the 4pm - 7pm slot was not a deciding factor. It was seeing rates of around 9p and higher during the cheapest slots on agile that tipped me over. Will switch back in Feb/March

Reactions: Rooster6655