Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go versus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're an existing customer you need to go to the product page of the tarrif you want to switch to. Sign in to your account then go to:

Octopus Energy

Towards the bottom there's an option for existing customers to sign up.

Only takes a minute and then you should be moved over at midnight the next day.

Thanks - very helpful! After doing this it's necessary to go to the account dashboard. It will tell you that everything is ready for the switch (i.e. you already have a smart meter) and it's necessary to click the button to confirm the switch.

The switch happens at midnight. I clicked the link above and confirmed on the dashboard at around 11.50pm and now, a couple of minutes past midnight, the dashboard shows that the current tarriff is Go.

Reactions: Durzel
So glad I switched.. needed to charge for ~3 hours this morning. Andersen charger telling me it cost me 90p. Checking the Agile rates for today, they are once again terrible, 35p from 09:00 until 13:30. I know that's what you agree to with Agile when you sign up, and it was super easy to switch tariffs, even to Go Faster, so I'm not complaining, but at the same time it is punishingly bad.

So glad I switched.. needed to charge for ~3 hours this morning. Andersen charger telling me it cost me 90p. Checking the Agile rates for today, they are once again terrible, 35p from 09:00 until 13:30. I know that's what you agree to with Agile when you sign up, and it was super easy to switch tariffs, even to Go Faster, so I'm not complaining, but at the same time it is punishingly bad.

How do you get the go faster tariff, I can't seem to find it?

I'm glad I switched too, makes much more sense, apart from charging the car don't really use much electric off peak hours, so probably stick to Go for the future.

How do you get the go faster tariff, I can't seem to find it?

I'm glad I switched too, makes much more sense, apart from charging the car don't really use much electric off peak hours, so probably stick to Go for the future.
"Go Faster" is technically invite only. It's in some sort of trial phase at the moment. I just emailed [email protected] and asked if I could go on it, and about a day later I got an invite (survey).

Reactions: Rooster6655
Just received my Dec-Jan bill & very impressed with how Octopus have handled this...
  • Both Gas (Tracker) & Electric were billed on time and together (no gaps in 1/2 hr meter readings for the second consecutive month)
  • The switch over from Agile-Go is clearly shown, including in the summary & all daily bar graphs correctly show the tariff I was on at the time
  • Most impressively, because I then changed to Go Faster 24 hours after the switch to Go which was two days before the end of the billing cycle, my Electricity bill does not include these two days so the next billing cycle will only show one Elec tariff & include the two carried-over days. A nice clear approach with no opportunity for Customer or billing confusion which makes a change compared to previous energy suppliers & British Gas who have always handled my solar FIT !
I can't see the credit for free 08.00-12.00 Christmas Day Electricity (we used quite a lot) but I recall seeing that this will be credited 'before the end of January' Has anyone else had this yet?

Sorry about the thread hi jack, but I have a question about Octopus energy, for those of you who have solar panels and house batteries (whether power wall or otherwise).
Do Octopus actively, control your battery, i.e. charge and discharge it at times to suit them? I have a relative who is on an 8p tarriff, that is he pays 8 p unit, any time of day, and receives 8 p any time of day for any power he exports. However, when he sent me the small print, it suggested that they wanted to control the battery. My relative says they don't and that he controls the battery, but when I checked with Octopus, they said that they would do this.

Just received my Dec-Jan bill & very impressed with how Octopus have handled this...
  • Both Gas (Tracker) & Electric were billed on time and together (no gaps in 1/2 hr meter readings for the second consecutive month)
  • The switch over from Agile-Go is clearly shown, including in the summary & all daily bar graphs correctly show the tariff I was on at the time
  • Most impressively, because I then changed to Go Faster 24 hours after the switch to Go which was two days before the end of the billing cycle, my Electricity bill does not include these two days so the next billing cycle will only show one Elec tariff & include the two carried-over days. A nice clear approach with no opportunity for Customer or billing confusion which makes a change compared to previous energy suppliers & British Gas who have always handled my solar FIT !
I can't see the credit for free 08.00-12.00 Christmas Day Electricity (we used quite a lot) but I recall seeing that this will be credited 'before the end of January' Has anyone else had this yet?
It didn’t show up on my December bill either. But I too recall January being mentioned. I assume it will show as a credit on the January bill.

Sorry about the thread hi jack, but I have a question about Octopus energy, for those of you who have solar panels and house batteries (whether power wall or otherwise).
Do Octopus actively, control your battery, i.e. charge and discharge it at times to suit them? I have a relative who is on an 8p tarriff, that is he pays 8 p unit, any time of day, and receives 8 p any time of day for any power he exports. However, when he sent me the small print, it suggested that they wanted to control the battery. My relative says they don't and that he controls the battery, but when I checked with Octopus, they said that they would do this.
By default neither Tesla nor Octopus control your Powerwall. You do have the option, however, to sign up for a special tariff (it’s a beta tariff) with Octopus which will do just that. No standing charge and a flat 8p rate for both imports and exports.
It’s very enticing but I suspect quite a significant strain on the batteries as they’ll be cycling far more than just with a standard domestic use. I have, therefore, not gone down that route just yet.

By default neither Tesla nor Octopus control your Powerwall. You do have the option, however, to sign up for a special tariff (it’s a beta tariff) with Octopus which will do just that. No standing charge and a flat 8p rate for both imports and exports.
It’s very enticing but I suspect quite a significant strain on the batteries as they’ll be cycling far more than just with a standard domestic use. I have, therefore, not gone down that route just yet.
Nor I. I can’t help feeling uncomfortable handing over the reins. I’m prefer to maintain a level of charge as I see fit.

Reactions: ACarneiro
"Go Faster" is technically invite only. It's in some sort of trial phase at the moment. I just emailed [email protected] and asked if I could go on it, and about a day later I got an invite (survey).
That’s interesting, I wrote to them as well and had a reply on Friday saying it was invite only but nothing else received yet.
I’ve been happy with Octopus go (particularly recently) but would like the opportunity to charge for 5 hours when necessary, fingers crossed.

Thank you for the prompt replies.
I am not that comfy with the idea either, hence my post.
I can see it being attractive to some, as you if you export and import for the same price, you don't have to do any management.
Reading the rest of this thread, I am coming to the conclusion that Go is probably better for me than Agile.

I’ve been happy with Octopus go (particularly recently) but would like the opportunity to charge for 5 hours when necessary, fingers crossed.

Its not a huge saving if occasional, well, even then, not huge.

Say you charged 5 hours on Go 4 hour cheap rate at 5p and an extra hour on 'peak' at say 14p, then average unit cost is 6.8p/kWh vs 5.5p/kWh with Go Faster. On a full 32A charge, thats around £1.98 vs £2.44 so 46p.

A bit of schoolboy maths show that with not needing the extra hour, £1.44 on Go vs £1.58 so 12p - Based on 32A, 3 x 4hr charges per every 1 x 5hr charge is break even, so its down to how frequent you need the 5 hours.

However, there are other benefits to Go Faster as cheap times may be more beneficial.

Last edited:
Its not a huge saving if occasional, well, even then, not huge.

Say you charged 5 hours on Go 4 hour cheap rate at 5p and an extra hour on 'peak' at say 14p, then average unit cost is 6.8p/kWh vs 5.5p/kWh with Go Faster. On a full 32A charge, thats around £1.98 vs £2.44 so 46p.

A bit of schoolboy maths show that with not needing the extra hour, £1.44 on Go vs £1.58 so 12p - Based on 32A, 3 x 4hr charges per every 1 x 5hr charge is break even, so its down to how frequent you need the 5 hours.

However, there are other benefits to Go Faster as cheap times may be more beneficial.

I take your point but to be honest 5.5p per kw is still really cheap, I’d rather pay this and have the flexibility to charge for up to 5 hours a night on that rate when I need it. Octopus have sent my an invite to join so happy days

Reactions: Rooster6655
Moderator comment - thread merged from "Octopus Agile"

Hi, I’m look for some guidance from those of you who are look term users of Octopus and especially Agile.
I moved from Go a couple of weeks back and am being punished big time as the rates are consistently high throughout the day, each and every day, and then obviously massively peak in the afternoon.

Is this what I can expect? If so, I’m about to throw my toys out of the pram and find a new supplier

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they will remain high & Go rates will have to rise in due course...

Power prices stay high as the impact of Brexit continues to be felt

Agile is driven by the wholesale rate & therefore reflects what is actually happening in real time so all tariffs regardless of energy supplier will ultimately be affected. Current cold conditions combined with high demand are additional factors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: rotor2k
Hi, I’m look for some guidance from those of you who are look term users of Octopus and especially Agile.
I moved from Go a couple of weeks back and am being punished big time as the rates are consistently high throughout the day, each and every day, and then obviously massively peak in the afternoon.

Is this what I can expect? If so, I’m about to throw my toys out of the pram and find a new supplier

Why when you can switch back to Go at the drop of a hat!
It's worth using the OctopusCompare app ... at the tap of the screen it will compare Octopus Go against Agile for your own actual usage ... brilliant! ... wait I'll just do it ... ah, last week cost me £12.39 on Octopus Go and would have cost £16.22 on Octopus Agile. Why did you change? Agile has been dearer for my own pattern of usage for a long time.