Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go versus Agile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It really depends if you can avoid usage in the Peak Period for Agile between 16:00 - 19:00 when the Rate typically is treble what it is most of the time, if you're comfortable eating a little later then it will work for you but if you are in the habit of eating at 18:00 then it won't. Being retired myself I enjoy playing around with Agile but overall Octopus is generally cheaper than almost anyone else so you may find that Agile and Go are not that different.

You can switch between Go and Agile once per month, so if you've only just switched, you may need to wait a little bit.
Generally speaking Agile tends to be better in the better Weather and Go or Go Faster is better in Winter but as others have said your Usage profile also matters.

Thanks for the guidance, I do have solar and a battery so can avoid the peak period by charging early afternoon on cloudy days... but even so it’s not even close at the moment

i’ll stick with to see for a couple of weeks to see if spring sunshine brings better rates and then take a call

thanks again!

Reason I changed was I wanted to get onto the outgoing tariff, but my solar will have to generate an amazing amount to balance things out

didn’t realise I could revert back, will do so...
You can be on Outgoing Octopus whilst on GO, despite what it says on their website. I’ve asked directly and I they will do it, just at a lower price per kWh than usual. Probably better signing up with another outgoing exporter if you’re looking for a better p/kWh rate..

Go is ~15p during the 20h non-cheap period, whereas Agile is usually 10p or less. So as long as you don't go too crazy during the 4-7pm peak period, Agile tends to work out cheaper (although not since the beginning of 2021, as Agile has been shockingly expensive).

Here's a screenshot from Octopus Compare of my usage over the last month, showing that Agile is probably about the same as Go (because Agile has been so expensive this year). Ignore the two charging spikes, they only appear to be a lot more expensive for Go because I charged at times that would've been expensive on Go. Given how little savings there are to be had, and given you have to pay a lot more attention to pricing, I'd say Go is the best for 95% of users. But as someone stated above, Agile is simply a manifestation of how the market is behaving, so if prices are consistently higher, then all the normal plans are going to go up in price. For me, Agile represents the least amount of hedging (and therefore profit) I'm paying for.

1618133005732.jpeg

Here's a screenshot from Octopus Compare of my usage over the last month, showing that Agile is probably about the same as Go (because Agile has been so expensive this year). Ignore the two charging spikes, they only appear to be a lot more expensive for Go because I charged at times that would've been expensive on Go. Given how little savings there are to be had, and given you have to pay a lot more attention to pricing, I'd say Go is the best for 95% of users. But as someone stated above, Agile is simply a manifestation of how the market is behaving, so if prices are consistently higher, then all the normal plans are going to go up in price. For me, Agile represents the least amount of hedging (and therefore profit) I'm paying for.

It's essential that people run their own OctopusCompare app numbers as different usage pattern totals can make a significant difference. It's really quick and easy.

For us, GO is 13.3p (inc VAT) during the 20h period, which makes it more competitive than most standard or fixed rates anywhere from any other provider. The bonus of the 5p rate makes it excellent for us. Given the use of solar and battery storage alongside, it means little grid use outside of the 4h low rate time.

Everyone's requirements are different in the end.

Absolutely wonderful icing it is too ... when people ask I'm almost embarrassed to tell them how low my fuel costs are !
Same here. My father-in-law had me do the math in front of him and couldn't believe the cost per mile compared to his car which cost about the same to buy as a Tesla. I did mention the cost of the charge point as I think it is fair to 'depreciate' it over 3 years (same as my lease). Adding that cost makes a difference, but it's still way cheaper than most ICE cars

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Go is ~15p during the 20h non-cheap period, whereas Agile is usually 10p or less. So as long as you don't go too crazy during the 4-7pm peak period, Agile tends to work out cheaper (although not since the beginning of 2021, as Agile has been shockingly expensive).

View attachment 652827

The problem with this and other apps of this type is they doesn't take into account the usage you can move into the GO cheap period, but assume your usage pattern is fixed.

Agile was great value in 19 and 20, not looking so good now (I'm now on GO faster 2030-2330, 13.8p at other times)