Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Go

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im thinking of switching to Octopus Go. Going to call them tomorrow. Has anyone switched to them recently ? Are they are taking on new customers and will there be a long wait for the Smart meter installation.

If they are still doing the referral credits, please dm me with your link

Cheers

It might be worth asking your existing supplier their lead time for installing a smart meter... I booked a smart meter installation with SSE with a lead time of just a couple of weeks, then I switched to Octopus Go immediately after they installed it 😁
Certainly worth trying to get your existing supplier to install the smart meter if their rate is better than Octopus standard tariff. A friend of mine tried to have a smart meter installed, they turned up, couldn't get a suitable mobile signal where the meter was and left. Either way, a quoted lead time and the actual lead time can be quite different.

Reactions: Makeitadouble
Does Ocotpus accept referral codes over the phone when you want to switch to them (already have a code)
I"ve just had a chat with Octopus. They advised they can't accept the referral codes online to do the switch so you would need to do this over the phone.

As suggested further up, I'm going to have my smart meter installed with my current supplier and then move over to Octopus.

Reactions: Dilly and Liquidv
Certainly worth trying to get your existing supplier to install the smart meter if their rate is better than Octopus standard tariff. A friend of mine tried to have a smart meter installed, they turned up, couldn't get a suitable mobile signal where the meter was and left. Either way, a quoted lead time and the actual lead time can be quite different.
Same thing happened to me with my previous supplier "Too much noise on the WAN" try again never.
Switched Octopus and they installed one no problem been working fine ever since.

I've been on Octopus GO since October last year. They took a month to install my smart meter then, and GO was operational a few weeks later. Other than price, Octopus have really good customer support and their meter usage reporting and theq ability to download 1/2 hour usage data is a big plus.

I too have a referral code for mutual benefit.

just switched back to octopus for Go.

How do people work their charging?

I charge my Tesla to 85% and run it down to 20% which can take over a week.

Obviously with Go you get 4 hours cheaper rate but that isn't enough to go from 20 to 85%

Does anyone here either

A) Use 4 hours cheaper rate and the rest higher rate (about 4 hours also)

B) Do 4 hours 1 night and then another 4 hours the next night

Obviously with Go you get 4 hours cheaper rate but that isn't enough to go from 20 to 85%

Does anyone here either

You could switch to Intelligent Octopus instead of Go. This will give you 6 hours of the cheap rate vs the 4, automatically triggered by your Tesla at Octopus « smart » times

Does anyone here either

I’ve got an LFP car so try to charge it to 100% at least every week.
If my car won’t achieve 100% in one nights 4hr window I’ll just plug it in the next night.

Does anyone here either

Is there any reason you can't plug in every night? Or every ither night?

+1 for charging every night, do the top up within the time period allocated in go, means you'll never go over.

When I was on go I couldn't get a full charge in the 4 hours so switched to go faster 5 hours which was plenty. Now on intelligent which, yes has phantom drain but you can turn the app off manually then it'll stop the drain.

I've been on Octopus GO since October last year. They took a month to install my smart meter then, and GO was operational a few weeks later. Other than price, Octopus have really good customer support and their meter usage reporting and theq ability to download 1/2 hour usage data is a big plus.

I too have a referral code for mutual benefit.
that's strange, because they always have issues with my smart meter, which they installed.

The small remote display they provide with it shows nonsense.
Gas readining is non-existing on the smart screen
electricity - kind of ok.

but then they miss one or two meter readings over long period and cannot issue you with the bill and it is never ending...