Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Intelligent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

Today I’ve moved to Octopus and am waiting for the smart meter.

If I charge my car using the 3 pin plug only can I still use intelligent?

Octopus don’t seem to know 100%.
In order to move to a smart tariff (Go or Intelligent), the smart meter is a requirement. You won’t be able to select it in your account otherwise (I assume you are currently on the Variable tariff)

Once you get the smart meter technically you can use the 3pin plug, as the « intelligent » part is handled by your Tesla and not the charger itself.
However, as you will charge at 2.3kW instead of 7kW+, and you only get 6hours of charge at the cheap rate, it will not add much to your battery, 15% if you’re lucky overnight.. so I’d definitely recommend adding the 7kW charger or at least a 32A commando socket

Hi

Today I’ve moved to Octopus and am waiting for the smart meter.

If I charge my car using the 3 pin plug only can I still use intelligent?

Octopus don’t seem to know 100%.
As @WllXM said, you'll need your smart meter. However when you register your vehicle on the IO app, I believe "Generic 2.3kW Charger" is still an option to register with.

This will ensure IO knows what you can get into the car when it's doing it's calculations for charge slots.

If you move to a 7kWh charger later, just re-register your details with the update.

Would be interested to see if octopus would allow this. Because they say you can just tell it the charge level you need and it’ll work out the slots - if you need more than the core 6 hours then it’ll add slots that are cheap rate for your entire house

In theory if you’re charging at 2.3kw you’d need a lot more slots = much more overall off peak which your house benefits from. It could be argued to be gaming the system

If it works report back though - I’d be up for turning my zappi down to make it take longer ;)

Would be interested to see if octopus would allow this. Because they say you can just tell it the charge level you need and it’ll work out the slots - if you need more than the core 6 hours then it’ll add slots that are cheap rate for your entire house

In theory if you’re charging at 2.3kw you’d need a lot more slots = much more overall off peak which your house benefits from. It could be argued to be gaming the system

If it works report back though - I’d be up for turning my zappi down to make it take longer ;)
No I believe you only get 6 hours cheap tops for the house between 23.30 and 5.30. But depending on day to day wholesale costs they can give you the same rate by triggering your EV to charge outside of those hours. But I don’t believe you can get more than those 6 hours of cheap charging in any given day

Reactions: Leejmoff
It remains to be seen what they do long term, but they offer that charger option, and have to date been very generous with their allocation of additional charging slots.

But I don’t believe you can get more than those 6 hours of cheap charging in any given day
No, that's not correct.

• Informative
Reactions: WllXM
Actually here's one I retained a screenshot of. Super unusual in that the extra hours were early evening rather than morning, but a 10 hour whopper.
1654874229758.png

Just joined recently. I think this would be fine charging from 3 pin. They would just give you 6hour slot I think. So 2330 - 0530. I have a wall charger and had to use most of it the other night with a big charge.

So I notice my Intelligent Octopus charging schedule frequently involves, say, 3 back-to-back 30 minute slots as opposed to one 1:30 slot. And I get charging interrupted notifications between those slots. Any views on if this stopping and re-starting charging results in wear-and-tear in the charger/vehicle?

Does anyone know if Octopus constantly wakes the car when managing this? Trying to work out whether to switch from Go, which I just set to charge for 40% which basically takes the four hours. The language they use makes me think it might be a bit hit and miss, don't want to find it hasn't charged when its time to do the school run!

In an idea world I just want the two extra hours and to carry on, but if this can charge and use the grid more efficiently that would be great.

Hi there

Does anyone know if the Hypervolt charger works with the intelligent tariff? Spoke to octopus this morning and waiting for confirmation if it does or not. It’s not mentioned on there website as a compatible charger.

Thanks

Hi there

Does anyone know if the Hypervolt charger works with the intelligent tariff? Spoke to octopus this morning and waiting for confirmation if it does or not. It’s not mentioned on there website as a compatible charger.

Thanks
They can't control the hypervolt charger, but you can still go on intelligent as they connect to the car instead and control the car. You leave the hypervolt on 'Plug and Charge' and when you connect the car it'll charge for ~10 seconds before octopus notices and pauses it. It'll then cycle the charge on and off according to the schedule they produce after 5pm.

If you want to charge a different car just set the hypervolt to schedule charge between 23:30-5:30

Reactions: Manni99
Does anyone know if Octopus constantly wakes the car when managing this? Trying to work out whether to switch from Go, which I just set to charge for 40% which basically takes the four hours. The language they use makes me think it might be a bit hit and miss, don't want to find it hasn't charged when its time to do the school run!

In an idea world I just want the two extra hours and to carry on, but if this can charge and use the grid more efficiently that would be great.
There is a bit more phantom drain I've noticed but not a silly amount - although you'd be wise to disable smart charging from the octopus app if you're leaving it unplugged for days. They'll also always try and get you to your target charge so just set it to the maximum you want and if it takes more than 6 hours they'll typically give you more than 6 hours of off-peak time-slots to make it.

Reactions: Kenners
They can't control the hypervolt charger, but you can still go on intelligent as they connect to the car instead and control the car. You leave the hypervolt on 'Plug and Charge' and when you connect the car it'll charge for ~10 seconds before octopus notices and pauses it. It'll then cycle the charge on and off according to the schedule they produce after 5pm.

If you want to charge a different car just set the hypervolt to schedule charge between 23:30-5:30
Thanks for this.

There is a bit more phantom drain I've noticed but not a silly amount - although you'd be wise to disable smart charging from the octopus app if you're leaving it unplugged for days. They'll also always try and get you to your target charge so just set it to the maximum you want and if it takes more than 6 hours they'll typically give you more than 6 hours of off-peak time-slots to make it.
Will they indeed provide more than 6 hours off-peak? I have occasionally noticed time slots outside of 11:30-05:30, but am never sure if those aren't at peak rates.

Will they indeed provide more than 6 hours off-peak? I have occasionally noticed time slots outside of 11:30-05:30, but am never sure if those aren't at peak rates.
Yep, any time slots that are listed in the schedule will be billed at the off-peak amount. When I plug in I fairly often end up with half hour, or an hour, either side of the normal off peak times as the PHEV hogs the charger most nights. If the tesla is really low I've seen an extra 2 hours before.

Reactions: 12Pack
This actually seems easier than go (famous last words!)