Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus - Leasing Company Car Insurance Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going round in circles with Octopus. I am leasing a company car through them (hire contract if that makes a difference). They state the registered keep of the car will be Lex Autolease because they are responsible for taxing the car o_O, and that I will be listed as the hirer o_O I am arguing that I personally should be the registered keeper of the car for insurance purposes and DVLA state this too. What's the opinion here? Churchill said the price will not change if the registered keeper changes from Lex to me personally...

Churchill (with Lex as the registered keeper) have quoted me £574 for insurance which I think is a bit much (this includes my partner driving it as well as the 5% discount for Autopilot), 9 yrs plus ncb, no convictions or claims etc, I'm over 50 :eek: if that makes a difference, do you think this is a bit steep and does it matter if the actual name of the company that is hiring the car (my Ltd Company) is not mentioned anywhere on the V5C or the insurance documents?

I just don't want to get in to a situation where 6 months down the line I have an accident and can't claim because some information is incorrect or missing :( Thanks

I'm going round in circles with Octopus. I am leasing a company car through them (hire contract if that makes a difference). They state the registered keep of the car will be Lex Autolease because they are responsible for taxing the car o_O, and that I will be listed as the hirer o_O I am arguing that I personally should be the registered keeper of the car for insurance purposes and DVLA state this too. What's the opinion here? Churchill said the price will not change if the registered keeper changes from Lex to me personally...

Churchill (with Lex as the registered keeper) have quoted me £574 for insurance which I think is a bit much (this includes my partner driving it as well as the 5% discount for Autopilot), 9 yrs plus ncb, no convictions or claims etc, I'm over 50 :eek: if that makes a difference, do you think this is a bit steep and does it matter if the actual name of the company that is hiring the car (my Ltd Company) is not mentioned anywhere on the V5C or the insurance documents?

I just don't want to get in to a situation where 6 months down the line I have an accident and can't claim because some information is incorrect or missing :( Thanks

As long as you, and any other driver, is recorded as the policy holder then from an insurance perspective they don’t care who the keeper/owner is. Just make sure you tell them that you will not be the keeper or owner, that will be the lease company.

From an insurance perspective it doesn’t matter that the Ltd company isn’t mentioned. You will be the insurance policy holder for the vehicle registration number you provide. From a tax/HMRC perspective if you pay for insurance from your LTD company it could potentially be challenged. In theory you need company car insurance, this is different to just having business class use. It’s prohibitively expensive though, I had a quote of over £11k! Some will just put it through the books, I’m going to just stump it up from personal income though :)

Car insurance companies typically ask you if you are a) the owner of the vehicle and/or b) the registered keeper. You would be neither in this instance, but that doesn't mean you can't insure it.

it is fairly typical with any kind of financial agreement (lease or HP) that the financier is the RK, even though being RK doesn't mean you own the car. If you were the RK you could "sell" the car to someone else, adding an owner (even though not one), as well as being able to change the plate (which Lex would like to charge for I'm sure).

Reactions: FRUNKS