Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus making the switch ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s that time of year again....
Currently with EON and have a 4 KW solar system and currently receive FIT payments.
Also have the dreaded Green Deal
Model 3 arrives next week and will join a Renault Zoe on the driveway.

My questions are...

Can someone in the UK confirm they are also on Octopus and they’re managing the Green Deal side of things ?

Is anyone on the “Outgoing Octopus Tariff?” What are your thoughts ? Is it better or worse than the traditional export tariffs ?

Are there any catches that aren’t obvious from the pre signup process ?

Anything else or alternatives Inshould consider ?

Hi I can recommend them - I'm on the Go tariff, 5p overnight for 4 hours 12:30-4:30 - it means my daily commute of 76 miles is costing around £1.20-1.30 per night to charge.

There aren't any catches at all. Their customer service is second to none, they are very good at responding. If you don't have a smart meter you may have to wait - I had to wait about 2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I can recommend them - I'm on the Go tariff, 5p overnight for 4 hours 12:30-4:30 - it means my daily commute of 76 miles is costing around £1.20-1.30 per night to charge.

I looked to change from Scottish Power (from a pure cost perspective) but found that the daily standing charge and cost of electricity after the 5p rate with Octopus worked out far more expensive but granted, I do a fairly small mileage so I guess it’s swings and roundabouts.

There aren't any catches at all. Their customer service is second to none, they are very good at responding. If you don't have a smart meter you may have to wait - I had to wait about 2 months.

If you want a referral code, here is mine, we get £50 each as credit if you use it. Split £100 | Octopus Energy
Brilliant thanks for the reply. I will definitely use your referral code
Is the Go tariff the best way to go ? do you have Solar with that ?

I left my FiT with the old supplier. It's unlikely to be worth using the Outgoing tariff since you lose out on deemed FiT exports but do your own calcs on that if you track your export. I think it's generally meant more for those that can't get the FiT. Go is likely the best way to go.

Not sure about Green Deal, I know Octopus are part of the scheme but not sure how they handle it.

Reactions: Stew:
Is anyone on the “Outgoing Octopus Tariff?” What are your thoughts ? Is it better or worse than the traditional export tariffs ?

Outgoing isn't compatible with one of the other Octopus tarrifs - don't think you can use it with Go, or is it Agile?

Biggest potential issue with Outgoing, is that instead of getting paid what ever the deemed export tarrif is for half your solar generation, you only get paid for what you actually export. That may be a win or a lose, but the more solar you use, the more you lose, so that 'free' hot water or car charging starts costing effectively 5.xp/kWh as you lose that export payment.

Outgoing isn't compatible with one of the other Octopus tarrifs - don't think you can use it with Go, or is it Agile?

Biggest potential issue with Outgoing, is that instead of getting paid what ever the deemed export tarrif is for half your solar generation, you only get paid for what you actually export. That may be a win or a lose, but the more solar you use, the more you lose, so that 'free' hot water or car charging starts costing effectively 5.xp/kWh as you lose that export payment.

If you want Octopus Outgoing you have to be on Agile. The outgoing rate can be fixed or variable, but incoming needs to be Agile. Go is a no-go, I tried.

You need to run the numbers but I'd be surprised is the octopus rate (about 5.5p) is better than your current fit payments.

I am actually cheaper on Agile (even without the export income) than i am with GO but not by much.

Maybe go Agile anyway but keep your fit.

You can be on other Octopus variable/fixed or anyone else's incoming tarrif can you not? I didn't think Outgoing locked you in to Octopus in the same way that other FiT tarrifs do not lock you into the FiT providers tarrifs.

You need to be on an Octopus import tariff to get Outgoing. I think it can now be any tariff except Go but you cant be with another supplier for import. Also if your fit was set up in the last 12 months you cant move to Outgoing. It's best to email in or call and try to talk to someone knowledgeable, the first person I spoke to didn't even think you could feed electricity back to the grid. Also things change pretty fast at Octopus and the website isn't always up to date. Ive found their email support very good.

Reactions: MrBadger
I switched to octopus and signed up for the go tarriff over 6 weeks ago and still not had date for smart meter. Several emails and phone calls and each time told would be within a few days. More recently they dont answer emails and the phone just goes to answerphone with message to try calling back tommorrow..........Beginning to wonder whats going on. Anyone here had similar issues and found a way to get in touch/resolve similar issue?

I switched to octopus and signed up for the go tarriff over 6 weeks ago and still not had date for smart meter. Several emails and phone calls and each time told would be within a few days. More recently they dont answer emails and the phone just goes to answerphone with message to try calling back tommorrow..........Beginning to wonder whats going on. Anyone here had similar issues and found a way to get in touch/resolve similar issue?
Genuinely surprised. Perhaps they are having trouble coping with the demand?

i had a response to my email within a day giving me a link in order to get my smart meter installed.

On the day, nobody turned up in the allocated appointment time so I chased it on the number given, only to be told the third party doing the install hadn’t actually been told by Octopus so I had to book it again , this time for January 2nd.

The number I called was 08081699082

That is odd. The time they take to answer emails has definitely been getting longer. I initially got replies within 24 hours or so, but the last time I emailed them they took five days to reply. I’ve never had need to ring them.

I guess they’re becoming a victim of their own success. Hopefully they will employ more staff to improve service levels.

I phoned Octopus yesterday on 0800 4643020 and got through to a real person very quickly.

Likewise AES who did my install were quick to answer but do not have a confirmed number for them - I have been with Octopus a long time but only just went smart meter so this may be being handled by a different group.

I think they are struggling with demand plus complications of buying co-op electricity company. We switched to Octopus early Oct indicating from the start that we want to move to Go. Smart meter installed 6th Dec. Still waiting for the consumption data to show (you can’t move to Go until that shows). We have to wait until the 20th before they will escalate. They did say that once the data shows the switch to Go can happen the same day. All in all it’s been a bit frustrating as we are eager for cheap charging! Good luck.