Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus no longer showing meter readings on bills

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
I've been with Octopus Energy for several years now and I have had nothing but praise for them and their revolutionary attitudes to the established norms in the energy industry resulting in cheaper bills for all, especially if you are willing to alter your consumption pattern.
Their billing over the years has been accurate which is a testament to their back office systems that can cope with the 30 min variable rates of Octopus Agile.
Over the last year or so I have been on the Octopus Go Faster tariff which is ideal for our circumstances.
Now call me a bluff old traditionalist but I do like to see what my bills are based on ie the meter readings. Octopus have managed to do this quite satisfactorily over the years.
I can see what my bill is based on and I can check it against my smart meter should I wish to do so.
Now however, Octopus 'in an effort to clean up the bills' have decided that for smart meter customers there is no need to show meter readings on their bills because 'people are only interested in consumption'. To me that is like a bank saying that from now on, in an effort to clean up our statements, we shall only show transactions without the all important balance figure or b/f or c/f figures - a crucial element is missing. It seems to be an unnecessary dumbing down of a bill. With previous suppliers who had for some reason or other bungled their billing process, it was good that I could refer to photos of meter readings and cross refer to meter readings shown on bills to quickly restore order. This will be a more difficult process should it occur with Octopus. They say I can always find my latest meter readings on their website but I can't find them there.
According to the OFGEM Standard Licence Conditions there doesn't appear to be a clear requirement to show the meter readings that the bill is based on but just clearly show the consumption figures. This is a bit of an omission in my opinion.
Should I move with the times and accept change, even though my experience tells me this is a mistake in the making?

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Just because they have dumbed down the bill details because in their view people just don't want that information (How did they establish this?) doesn't mean they still cant produce them on request, perhaps a discussion with them and insist you do want them included in your bill. Its only a computer printing what they tell it to, so shouldn't be difficult.

You can still get half hourly readings from whenever you want.
  1. Log in to your account on the web page and scroll down to where you can see your meter(s).
  2. Click on Explore mu Energy Use
  3. Look for the Get your geek on box
  4. Get the CSV file from hell.

@Mr Miserable My July bill on Go had all the readings
The readings in my account are in a web browser under Explore my energy use. Scroll to the bottom and go to the old dashboard
Yes I have that but they aren't readings per se just the consumption figures.

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 12.19.15.png

Octopus have taken this one step further with me and not included any information about electricity consumption on my bills, nor taken any payment, since September 2021!

I've only just informed them about it. Believe under back billing regulations they have to write it off any amounts unbilled that are over one year old.

Octopus have taken this one step further with me and not included any information about electricity consumption on my bills, nor taken any payment, since September 2021!

I've only just informed them about it. Believe under back billing regulations they have to write it off any amounts unbilled that are over one year old.

Octopus failed to bill me for electricity over a 6 month period recently. I advised them of this and they subsequently updated my bill and over a period of 2 weeks applied 6 charges for the missing months. Seemed to be a glitch on their billing platform. Credit in my account covered the missing charges but it illustrated to me the need to keep a close eye on bills to make sure they are accurate.

Not sure if they write off any missing charges over a year old though.

I've gone through some old bills (as far back as March this year) and the old and new dashboards... no meter readings for the electricity on any of them. Yes they're there for gas.

I'm not one to check them (if I was on flat rate, I might have done), but I fully understand why you want to.