Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I always recommend that people only pay bills for actual amount used. Averaged Direct Debits always end up with you building up a surplus in the energy company’s bank account! You can just set up a variable DD for monthly bills.

It didn’t work out that way with EDF. We had a final bill of around £750. I expect they do try to work the system in their favour as a general rule, though.

another person here who hasn't had elec readings since April. apparently my 1st gen smart meter is the issue. Engineer was supposed to visit today but is ill, so its now a further 7 week wait :(

the problem was only found when i contacted octopus, they had no idea i wasn't being billed for elec for 7 months 😲

Latest.. since I didn't even get a reply to my latest email I decided to kick it up to the ombudsman. I don't even want them to do much, just escalate it high enough that someone cares enough to send me a bill!
In my experience sending a Twitter DM akways gets a reply and normally within a couple of hours and well into the evenings and weekends.

I have always had an amazing customer service experience from the Octopus team unlike other suppliers!

In my experience sending a Twitter DM akways gets a reply and normally within a couple of hours and well into the evenings and weekends.

I have always had an amazing customer service experience from the Octopus team unlike other suppliers!
I've rarely had a reply in less than a week, and whilst they're always apologetic they never *do* anything.

After a year enough is enough.

My script showed that we had built up around £450 of credit over usage since we switched in late August. So I have reduced our direct debit by roughly £50 per month. I'm assuming our usage over the winter will be a bit higher, particularly since I didn't commute for 6 weeks during Sept-Nov. So in the absence of any billing from Octopus, I can at least avoid us going excessively into credit or debit. I would expect us to arrive at March roughly at break-even. We'd potentially go back into credit over the summer, due to having solar panels, or I could reduce it further.

There are no missing samples in the dataset, so I can't verify Octopus' claim that there are missing data.

Most, if not all, IHDs are too dumb deal with ToU tariffs. Mine is opposite to yours, it constantly shows me electricity pricing at 5p, 24 hours a day. Billing is correct, however.
the weird thing is when I speak to their representatives they don’t seem to acknowledge this is an issue and pretend it’s just me having this problem.

They said “it should work” we will take a look and get back to you.

I spoke to an Octopus Smart Meter team member today around the smart meters not changing their rates on Octopus Go.
This response may be useful for those of you who were also keen to understand the situation and if there's a remedy.

I wonder if there's a wiki we can add this to.

Good morning,

Ahh yes, the IHD. In theory, we can update the IHD so that the correct unit rate is applied at the correct time. The challenge is, however, is how we update the industry. In essence, we will be changing your meter to a two-rate meter, but to a configuration that isn't recognised by the industry (as in, there is an Economy 7 tariff, such as off-peak from 00:30 - 07:30, but there isn't a recognised configuration of 00:30 - 04:30). If you stay with Octopus, this shouldn't be problematic, but if you were to switch away, the new supplier would be inheriting a meter with a set up that it wouldn't recognise and they would have to revert the meter back to a 'normal' configuration. We're currently exploring if there is any way around this or if the only option available to us it to convert a single rate meter to a dual-rate meter (which is what we would do in your case).

I am more than happy to update the meter so that the configuration is adjusted and this will enable the IHD to show the correct costings. Please confirm that you are happy for me to do this.

Kind regards

I'm going to try this and report back in a week or 2.

Phoned Octopus today as still no billing for electricity and still no resolution on the inaccurate smart meter clock (now 2:45 off as of last time I checked it).

On billing, they're saying the switch-over meter reading still hasn't been agreed. Which is odd, since we had a final bill from EDF just weeks after the switch.

On the smart meter issue, they've done nothing since October. The cheap rate starts at 9:45pm now due to the clock inaccuracy. By this summer, we're going to be getting solar output during the 5p rate.

Funnily enough had a similar issue after getting a SMETS2 meter installed in October from Octopus Energy.

Received the following bills for the previous month's usage as follows:
November bills: electricity ❎ gas ✅
December bills: electricity ✅ gas ❎
January bills: electricity ❎ gas ✅

Emailed them after January's bill and queried it as when I logged into Octopus' dashboard I could see the usage for both within there and they were receiving my data every 3 hours. Received a response within 48 hours along with an updated bill issued. February has been fine and fingers crossed for March!

Add me to the list with the IHD not being accurate. Fixed at 7.5p per kWh and am on Intelligent Octopus. If only it was that all the time!

Wouldn’t mind if it would just show the 23:30-05:30 cheap rate slot and not worry about the other times on reduced rate.

• Funny
Reactions: DenkiJidousha