Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be honest, none of this is Octopus's fault, the who smart meter setup is just stupid

Their communication with their contractors is very poor, and that lies partly with octopus. The slow response to issues with smart meters is a good example of this - I never had a response in less than a week, presumably because of the time it takes them to get in touch with SMS every time. (See also the post above where a cancelled appointment was never communicated).

I had my install around 3 weeks ago. But still, the IHD doesn't show the gas. And, Octopus say they haven't got the new meter numbers to setup Octopus Go. With no single entity in charge of everything, it all seems to take ages to move forward.

About the best thing to come out of it all was that I got a mains isolator switch fitted FOC from the meter guy!

I was a bit nervous about swapping to Octopus after reading this thread but so far it's been quite simple, I joined them 20th Dec and the smart meters started working between christmas and new year, I already had smart meters fitted although they hadn't been used by Yorkshire energy.
Invited to swap over to Octopus Go at the same time as the meters kicked in and it seems smooth so far.
Also went through them for the EO charger, very helpful on the phone getting the form completed and the quote is several hundred below the other quotes I got. Just have to wait for Western Power to run a new cable up the road before I get the install done.

Reactions: DaveW
I was a bit nervous about swapping to Octopus after reading this thread but so far it's been quite simple, I joined them 20th Dec and the smart meters started working between christmas and new year, I already had smart meters fitted although they hadn't been used by Yorkshire energy.
Invited to swap over to Octopus Go at the same time as the meters kicked in and it seems smooth so far.
Also went through them for the EO charger, very helpful on the phone getting the form completed and the quote is several hundred below the other quotes I got. Just have to wait for Western Power to run a new cable up the road before I get the install done.
I think it’s probably easier if you already have working smart meters.
Getting them fitted and working properly, however, is a whole different kettle of fish...

I moved to Octopus recently- the service went live on Monday. The SMS engineers are supposed to be turning up on Friday to fit the Smart meter.
I was pleased to get such a quick appointment, though after reading this thread I'm sure it will all go Pete Tong on Friday morning.

Wish me luck!

Reactions: ACarneiro and DaveW
I find the whole smart meter process very odd. When the Octopus engineer was here the other month, I was chatting to him and he was from about 10 miles away yet it took a number of escalations before I could get an appointment. As I didn't switch my gas they wouldn't install a new gas meter so its still dumb and I can't be bothered with the hassle of chasing it. I've registered my interest but I doubt I will be contacted before I switch supplier and start the process again.

I moved to Octopus recently- the service went live on Monday. The SMS engineers are supposed to be turning up on Friday to fit the Smart meter.
I was pleased to get such a quick appointment, though after reading this thread I'm sure it will all go Pete Tong on Friday morning.

Wish me luck!

There's more people with working smart meters than not, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

It seems once you get an issue, it's just a little tougher to sort due to the convoluted behind the scenes!

I had my (third) visit from AES yesterday, after some discussion about fitting a SKU2 comms hub with an external aerial they decided to do a power cycle instead. This was at the behest of their "Senior Technical" engineer back at base. Sadly 24 hours on my meter still appears to be offline, and the IHD hasn't worked since.

Looks like I'll have to be back on the phone to Octopus again on Monday!

I had my fourth visit from AES last week, they've now fitted a SKU2 with the T2 (high gain) aerial... along with a brand new IHD6 (which has WiFi!). After the engineer reset everything the meter successfully found and connected to the WAN. Unfortunately two days later the Gas meter dropped off of the IHD, something Octopus are looking at along with the lack of gas meter reads.

However my electricity reads are now finally showing up correctly in my Octopus account overnight again. Now I just have to sort the billing mess, thankfully one of the Octopus manangers has agreed to match/discount the bill back to what it should've been under Agile because I have all of the usage data (every 30 seconds) from EmonCMS.

Alas those of us in the north don't get the option of an antenna - none were ever specced for that network.

I've heard it said that part of the problem is that the rollout target is based on each smart meter installed not each smart meter *successfully* installed, so electricity companies are going all out to install them even in dead spots because it makes them look good.

Alas those of us in the north don't get the option of an antenna - none were ever specced for that network.

I've heard it said that part of the problem is that the rollout target is based on each smart meter installed not each smart meter *successfully* installed, so electricity companies are going all out to install them even in dead spots because it makes them look good.
“The devil is in the details”

Thanks and fingers crossed :D

Appointment booked for 08-10AM this morning. Received texts and emails from SMS during the week, including one yesterday. I rang SMS this morning at 9:15 to enquire about an ETA. They told me that the appointment had been cancelled by Octopus- no reason given.
I then spoke to Octopus and they confirmed that they cancelled but couldn't explain why. They couldn't explain why my online account is showing "smart meter installation booked". The next appointment is now 3 weeks away and I'm now stuck on an interim tariff that more expensive than my previous supplier. No apology, no adequate explanation, just piss-poor service.

Not a great start at all.

I opted to get EDF to fit a smart meter first, before changing tariff - and its not looking good after a day. The IHD was working yesterday, but shows 'waiting for data' now, despite having a good signal strength (an old GEO monitor was working fine in this location too).
The radio seems to be 'SKU1 Cellular' - and I was dubious about network coverage here. Should I be making noises about this, or might it sort itself out?
The meter is an L&G E470. This shows good signal strength - is that WAN or to the IHD?

Moderator comment - Posts merged from "Octopus Energy... disappointed"

I'm not having much luck with Octopus. Thought I'd share my experience.

Contacted them back in October and expressed an interest to join the cheaper plan for EV charging. Got back that I need to join and go on an interim plan until they put in a smart meter. So I left a tariff with Green to go on an Octopus plan at about 4p/kwh more expensive. Told them this at the time, but thought it's OK they have a good reputation, surely the meter install won't take long.

It's now mid January and still no sign of a meter install, or booking date on the horizon. I mean surely it isn't that hard to get something in the diary so the customer knows when the meter will be installed.

They take ages to respond to emails - last one I sent was 8 days ago and still nothing.

To be honest it's starting to feel a bit like a bait and shift tactic now. They have no commercial incentive to get me onto the cheaper tariff, in fact totally the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unrelated to Octopus, but I had an appointment to get my smart meter changed to SMETS2 by EDF. This got cancelled due to covid restrictions. It could well be that's the same for you. Not sure of the current regulations in Wales, but getting a meter changed isn't deemed essential.

Reactions: 512uk