Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For transparency, I work in the industry for a competitor so I'm clearly have my own views that I'd like to think are balanced.

They (Octopus) are very innovative, generally very good on service and price. I like and admire them as a company, there is a lot to like. Greg the founder is a top person and really good for the industry. They win consumer awards for good reason.

They, like all retail energy utility companies do not fit their own meters or operate them, these are MOP and MAP contracts and whilst they can escalate to try and expedite they are at the mercy of others, who reasonably are trying to protect their staff from excess risk due to Covid19. So for those waiting on meters being fitted or fixed, it isn't all in their (Octopus) hands.

However that said, I assume most EV drivers, at least in part, drive an EV to help the environment.

Therefore my biggest gripe with Octopus, is like most of the industry, they Greenwash. Although they are doing a lot to push the move to EV's and are trying through buying some wind turbines in December 2020 to go slightly more 'green' and have really good intentions as far as I can see.

However they are not green, the energy they sell you is NOT 100% renewable, despite what it says on the tin, they buy energy wholesale and it's brown, generally mirroring the current mix on the grid each day (now plus their own wind generation). So no more than 60-70% green on a good day. They claim 100% through buying certificates (REGOs) on the wholesale market, which are separated from the original generated energy and sold for very few pence per MWh, it is far far cheaper than buying real renewable energy to them, hence they sell it for cheaper than the 100% renewable suppliers.

PS UK Tesla Superchargers are 100% renewable and powered by more than one of the genuine 100% renewable companies (the energy company are not allowed to say that though). Or certainly were about a year ago when I checked last.

However they are not green, the energy they sell you is NOT 100% renewable, despite what it says on the tin, they buy energy wholesale and it's brown, generally mirroring the current mix on the grid each day (now plus their own wind generation). So no more than 60-70% green on a good day. They claim 100% through buying certificates (REGOs) on the wholesale market, which are separated from the original generated energy and sold for very few pence per MWh, it is far far cheaper than buying real renewable energy to them, hence they sell it for cheaper than the 100% renewable suppliers.

PS UK Tesla Superchargers are 100% renewable and powered by more than one of the genuine 100% renewable companies (the energy company are not allowed to say that though). Or certainly were about a year ago when I checked last.

This is how ALL green energy companies work. The trading system in REGO's is the definition of selling renewable energy. There is no other way to do this other than a direct physical wire from the energy source to the consumer. I sell around 3.7GWh of REGOs to one particular GREEN energy supplier along with the physical (so called brown) power. The value of REGOs has been going up, and whilst still small compared to the brown power it is not a few pence. At one point my supplier had a system showing where the energy was nominally going - some of our power went regularly to the South Mimms Supercharger even though that was over 500 miles from where the energy was generated.

We have one national grid, all energy is poured into that grid and poured out where it is consumed. The elctrons don't have green labels. By buying energy that is backed by REGOs you are supporting the renewables industry and are therefore 'buying' green energy. The only difference is that some of the green energy companies also directly invest in renewable energy projects. I don't know Octopus do this but it is not unlikely.

PS. our plants have car chargers directly wired into them - so that is true green energy.

Reactions: ACarneiro
Well, I asked to migrate to Oct, took less than 2 weeks over Xmas time, then called a week later and asked to go Agile, they said we'll install your smart meter next week if you like. Now I'm a week with it installed awaiting the system to recognise whilst on expensive tariff. Sorry to hear you are having these issues, you can call them though. PS - I'm in Essex by M25

They'll be doing some guessing on that.. the specs say it should store:

i. eight Days of Energy Consumption comprising the prior eight Days, in kWh and Currency Units;
ii. six Weeks of Energy Consumption comprising the current Week and the prior five Weeks, in kWh and Currency Units;
iii. fourteen months of Energy Consumption comprising the current month and the prior thirteen months, in kWh and Currency Units.

Great, will look forward to their billing :(

I tweeted Greg this morning to see if he could help out, the contact I deal with at Octopus has been brilliant, but the hold up was getting in front of the metering team.

Got a phone call from the metering team this afternoon, they explained that when they tried to take over my meter it was refused due to security credentials (or similar). I've got an engineer appointment on Monday to replace both meters.

They are also looking to fix my bills with Go prices too, as I've been on the interim tariff for ages now and it's obviously a lot more expensive than I was hoping to be paying.

Fingers crossed.

I signed up for Go around Christmas, switch was done on the 5th January from my old supplier and Smart meter install is schedule for tomorrow (21st January). Everything has been very efficient and well communicated so far and I've already had my £50 referral credit added to my account. So hopefully I'll be on the Go tariff before the end of January and drinking super cheap EV electricity! (Although of course I'm not able to actually drive anywhere at the moment :().

I've been fobbed off a couple of times so far trying to get an upgrade from a British Gas SMETS1 meter to a SMETS2 one. They keep saying no engineer availability in my area and they'll be in touch when they have any. This has been going on since 20th november, so have just dropped Greg an email. Will give it a week and if no movement I might try theTwitter DM route....

..and we have a winner! Received an email this morning from one of their CS team (copying in Greg) and miraculously they have some appointments that have become available! I'm booked in on 18th Feb for the replacement meter install....

Reactions: m3gt2 and DaveW
..and we have a winner! Received an email this morning from one of their CS team (copying in Greg) and miraculously they have some appointments that have become available! I'm booked in on 18th Feb for the replacement meter install....
That was only stage 1, I’m afraid.
I’m sorry to say that you still have a lot of suffering to go through.
Stage 2 is actually getting the meter fitted
Stage 3 is Octopus finding out the meter is fitted and feeding data.
Stage 4 is moving you into your tariff and producing a bill.

They are known to fail at any of those stages and each can take many weeks, I’m sorry to say.
Fingers crossed for you!

Appointment booked for 08-10AM this morning. Received texts and emails from SMS during the week, including one yesterday. I rang SMS this morning at 9:15 to enquire about an ETA. They told me that the appointment had been cancelled by Octopus- no reason given.
I then spoke to Octopus and they confirmed that they cancelled but couldn't explain why. They couldn't explain why my online account is showing "smart meter installation booked". The next appointment is now 3 weeks away and I'm now stuck on an interim tariff that more expensive than my previous supplier. No apology, no adequate explanation, just piss-poor service.

Not a great start at all.

So after a bit of toing-and-froing via a Twitter DM, Octopus credited my account with a few quid by way of an apology.
Then a few days later I get an email response to my Twitter DM apologising again and offering to credit my account with another £30. I replied saying that I had another appointment agreed. The agent then replied saying that my January 4th appointment would be cancelled. Back I go asking them what the blithering hell are they on about as Januaryu 4th is long gone and they now tell me that the revised appointment has also been cancelled and moved back another week.

They clearly have no idea what they are on about. All I can say is that so far Octopus are making themselves look like a bunch of absolute amateurs.

Last edited:
That was only stage 1, I’m afraid.
I’m sorry to say that you still have a lot of suffering to go through.
Stage 2 is actually getting the meter fitted
Stage 3 is Octopus finding out the meter is fitted and feeding data.
Stage 4 is moving you into your tariff and producing a bill.

They are known to fail at any of those stages and each can take many weeks, I’m sorry to say.
Fingers crossed for you!

Indeed, but as it's taken 2 months to get to stage 1, I'm counting it as at least a comparative success :)

I am on Go with a Smart electricity meter since October 2019. However, their billing is not very "smart"! I have just noticed that although Octopus presumably take automatic electricity meter readings, they did not bill me for any electricity in 2020. Instead they have this month billed me all of the electricity used last year in one go. As a result my account balance has jumped from +£450 to -£500. At least they haven't asked me to settle yet. Usually Utility companies are quick to increase the direct debit to avoid large deficits building up. I must admit it I thought it was odd that my monthly payments didn't need to increase after getting an EV!!!

Batter them with complaints if they are not delivering. They've cocked up my smart meter appointment dates and I'm now on the third appointment. That's cost them £60 in bill credits to date.
They can keep cocking up as far as I am concerned if they keep giving me £30 each time!

Reactions: Rooster6655
I'm in the middle of a switch and quite pleased so far. All pretty seamless with my smart meter install appointment for next week (10 days after requesting it). Obviously the proof will be in the pudding, but so far I'm happy.
Install was done as promised and I’m now all smart metered up. Just waiting for the email to allow me to sign up for Go - the Tesla is in need of some juice so hopefully this will be soon! Sorry for all those that have been having problems - I’ve had the opposite experience.

Reactions: ACarneiro