Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had my smart meter installed 10 days ago and waiting for them to switch me to the Octopus Go tariff. What are the chances this gets done in the next 4 days?. Who specifically should i contact if it doesn't get done? I find their email system to just send generic auto replies

That was only stage 1, I’m afraid.
I’m sorry to say that you still have a lot of suffering to go through.
Stage 2 is actually getting the meter fitted
Stage 3 is Octopus finding out the meter is fitted and feeding data.
Stage 4 is moving you into your tariff and producing a bill.

They are known to fail at any of those stages and each can take many weeks, I’m sorry to say.
Fingers crossed for you!

Stage 5 is hope that the meter doesn't break down and have to go back to Stage 1

Reactions: ACarneiro
How long did you guys have to wait since switching to Octopus and being on the interim tariff? Heard stories of long waiting periods...not true?

In my experience and from reading these forums, there's two steps before you can get onto their smart tariffs;
1. Getting a smart meter installed
2. Octopus collect a couple of days of smart meter readings (so they know it's communicating properly)

You may already have a [SMETS2 or 'liberty100' branded smets1] smart meter installed, if not that can take a few weeks (or longer under current covid restrictions). My impression (from reading these forums) is that if it's dragging for longer than a few weeks then it's worth pestering octopus, they may move you closer to the front of the queue.

Collecting a couple of days' smart meter readings should only be a formality but may be a problem if you live in an area with poor mobile signal (and this can be the source of some of the 'horror stories'). If octopus identify in advance that you may live in such an area that might delay/scupper install of the smart meter too.

For us, we already had a smart meter, so after we'd switched supplier it only took ~2 days before we were on Go.

I moved to Octopus from Bulb at the end of October with the promise that as I had SMETS 2 meters all would be swapped over in 2 weeks. Still waiting despite several calls and emails regarding the issue.

In my personal experience they have been terrible - largely uncommunicative via email and when I do get through on the phone they promise to fix/call back/insert excuse here and never deliver.

Maybe they are fantastic and there always has to be a small percentage of screw ups but it sucks to be in that percentage and the measure of a company is how they resolve and communicate these issues and sadly they have (at least in my case) come up short.

Octopus install was fine for me except... I wasn't getting billed for gas, just electricity. I enquired and they said it was becuase the smart gas meter hadn't shown up on their systems. They asked me to send a photo of it. That was last week, so we'll see what happens.