Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My smart meter replacement that was due today (12-4pm) has just been cancelled. That's twice so far that AES have cancelled an appointment on me with a couple of hours notice.

Now rebooked for Thursday.
That sucks.

Are the cancellations related to Covid restrictions? In Scotland I'm not sure they can do smart meter installations at the moment as tradesmen are only allowed inside for safety related matters. My neighbour installs smart meters and his van hasn't moved since the start of the year.

That sucks.

Are the cancellations related to Covid restrictions? In Scotland I'm not sure they can do smart meter installations at the moment as tradesmen are only allowed inside for safety related matters. My neighbour installs smart meters and his van hasn't moved since the start of the year.

Both down to sickness! In fairness they did have another slot for tomorrow morning, but both me and my wife have meetings tomorrow morning we can't shift, so Thursday was the next available one.

Maybe I've just been assigned a flakey engineer, but they don't appear to be the most reliable.

After a bumpy start where my install was cancelled without notice. I did actually get it installed today. Octopus have been very good about it and compensated me for the inconvenience as well as offering to offset the extra cost of EV charging between the interim tariff and Go. I get a sense that they were being let down by the outsourced installers originally but things are getting better. Just need to see how long it takes for them to register my readings so I can be cutover.

After a bumpy start where my install was cancelled without notice. I did actually get it installed today. Octopus have been very good about it and compensated me for the inconvenience as well as offering to offset the extra cost of EV charging between the interim tariff and Go. I get a sense that they were being let down by the outsourced installers originally but things are getting better. Just need to see how long it takes for them to register my readings so I can be cutover.

They've also offered me a good will gesture credit on the account for todays last minute cancellation.

All the issues I've had so far haven't been down to Octopus, but the hangover from how useless Bulb were, the convoluted smart meter setup and AES. I know it's not the same for everyone in this thread, but the comms have been great too.

My smart meter replacement that was due today (12-4pm) has just been cancelled. That's twice so far that AES have cancelled an appointment on me with a couple of hours notice.

Now rebooked for Thursday.

You are lucky. My meter install was due today between 12 and 4. Received a call at 12 letting me know the appointment had been cancelled due to COVID infected installer. Rebooked for next available install on the 25th February.

You are lucky. My meter install was due today between 12 and 4. Received a call at 12 letting me know the appointment had been cancelled due to COVID infected installer. Rebooked for next available install on the 25th February.

Ooof!

AES came out today, replaced both meters in quick time. Octopus have confirmed they can see them in the portal, so hopefully the transition will now be smooth (fingers and toes crossed).

By way of an update and to let people know that it does work, I had my smart meter installed on the 21st January, switch to Go emailed through to me on the 28th to agree the T&C's and activated at midnight on the 29th. About a 5 weeks from beginning to end with Christmas / New Year in between which I think is pretty impressive. Charged the car up overnight last night adding 100 miles of range for £1.38!

Result! Hang in there those that are struggling - it's worth it.

Reactions: Zakalwe
Octopus are definitely still sending guys out, it took a few phone calls until I got a helpful CSR on the phone, but she made a call on wednesday and had an engineer turn up to me on Friday, to upgrade my meter tails in preperation for my charger install later in the month.

Hardly a priority but very happy with the service.

Mine is supposedly being fitted tomorrow (3rd attempt). I think that Octopus are in the middle of moving away from subcontracting the work out and are now using their own installers (or so I've been told). Looks like my install was slap bang in the middle of this transition.

I'll know tomorrow if third time's the charm.:D

• Informative
Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Following the meters being replaced on the 28th, I got my invite to Go yesterday :D

All signed up now and can see the readings for the last few days. New gas not over yet, I’ll ask them about that tomorrow :)

Looks like we're tracking each other! I got my invite yesterday and will be officially on Go from midnight. I've been thinking about Go Faster 3 hour option as I'm not doing much mileage at the moment so a 3 hour charge window should be enough. Is it by invite only?

Looks like we're tracking each other! I got my invite yesterday and will be officially on Go from midnight. I've been thinking about Go Faster 3 hour option as I'm not doing much mileage at the moment so a 3 hour charge window should be enough. Is it by invite only?

Coincidental timing there :) - just glad it’s working!
Go Faster is actually 5 hours at 5.5p, but with a more flexible start time. Invite only, but you can email them and ask for an invite I believe