Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still haven't had an electricity bill since switching to Go (12 months ago). Gas is being billed fine and I have emailed them on multiple occasions. To add more confusion to this, I moved house 2 months ago, and they managed the switch ok but still haven't billed electricity. I'm paranoid that when they eventually resolve this they are going to want to bill me everything at the peak rate despite the fact most of my consumption is off-peak

I still haven't had an electricity bill since switching to Go (12 months ago). Gas is being billed fine and I have emailed them on multiple occasions. To add more confusion to this, I moved house 2 months ago, and they managed the switch ok but still haven't billed electricity. I'm paranoid that when they eventually resolve this they are going to want to bill me everything at the peak rate despite the fact most of my consumption is off-peak
I'd be inclined to keep really good records so you can dispute it if that does happens.

A friend of mine owned a flat and never received a gas/elec bill for the entire time they lived there, around 8 years. They gave up asking in the end and just put the money aside in case there was ever a bill. Never came!

Moderator comment - posts moved from referral request thread

I'm not quite sure how I keep records when I can only access the a graph of the data. As far as I can see there is no data download available?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not quite sure how I keep records when I can only access the a graph of the data. As far as I can see there is no data download available?
Each octopus bill, whether email or hard copy, has a separate page of detailed half hourly usage for each day.
The same data can be accessed from the ‘explore my usage’ link on the main account page.
To be fair, I’ve never tried downloading any data.

Should you have the half hour meter readings on the "explore my energy usage" section? Only reading i have here is my initial reading. I already had a smart meter that they connected to successfully and allowed me onto the go tarriff. Is this right? Should I see any more readings? Been conected to the go tarriff for almost a month now.

Should you have the half hour meter readings on the "explore my energy usage" section? Only reading i have here is my initial reading. I already had a smart meter that they connected to successfully and allowed me onto the go tarriff. Is this right? Should I see any more readings? Been conected to the go tarriff for almost a month now.

Yes you should. If they are getting readings, you should be able to see them. I did see somewhere on here that the meters keep readings for a considerable time, so it should be OK in the end. Have you had a bill yet?

I'd still give them a call.

Moderator comment - posts merged from "Octopus install ... fabulous!"

A massive thumbs up to Octopus who installed our smart meters yesterday in prep for switching to their Go tariff. Their pre-install communication was first class and their Covid care during installation was faultless. Simply brilliant.
OK, so maybe my euphoria after a great installation experience was a bit premature. 4 weeks post install and the meter is still waiting to be “commissioned” (whatever that might mean). Not finding contact with Octopus very satisfactory as they keep saying “it will happen soon”.

Two months and my IHD doesn't work either. Plus no bill has been generated.

To me it feels like they've taken on far more than their back office teams can cope with. Customer services give very generic responses and just refer to the "metering team",.

They do, however, always respond very quickly with their generic responses and the name of the customer services advisor is clearly fake - or this person really does work 24/7 without holidays.

It's a clever system they have that gives the illusion of a very personal service.

If you have issues then I suggest an email to [email protected] which avoids CS staff. For those who want to monitor their costs there are excellent apps such as Octopus Watch; Octopus Watchdog and Octopus Compare. For those who want lots of data; Bill checkers etc you should look at Guy Lipman’s website and/or sign up for N3rgy.com.

If you have issues then I suggest an email to [email protected] which avoids CS staff. For those who want to monitor their costs there are excellent apps such as Octopus Watch; Octopus Watchdog and Octopus Compare. For those who want lots of data; Bill checkers etc you should look at Guy Lipman’s website and/or sign up for N3rgy.com.
I have a Tesla Powerwall so I can get real time usage and solar production data on my phone.
Hence giving up on the IHD.
The fact that it was never made to work, though, is messing with my OCD.

Last edited:

Twitter is the way forward, much as I hate it.
I emailed them yesterday and again today (using the "smart" email the second time) with zero response.
I posted this evening on their Twitter page and got a response in minutes. 10 minutes later I had an email confirming that they can see the meter, followed up by another email asking me to confirm the T and C's. Within the hour I was on the Go tariff.

I had similar success when they messed about with the installation appointments. Emails got nowhere but a Twitter onto their page got an immediate and satisfactory response.