Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Octopus do do strange things.

I changed my direct debit a week ago to a new bank account - all accepted and confirmed by Octopus. Today I was sent a bill by email, and they say "As you have no Direct Debit in place" please pay off your outstanding balance.

Needless to say, I will not be doing anything, as I am sure the Direct Debit will be paid on the due date and my balance will be back in credit.

Octopus do do strange things.

I changed my direct debit a week ago to a new bank account - all accepted and confirmed by Octopus. Today I was sent a bill by email, and they say "As you have no Direct Debit in place" please pay off your outstanding balance.

Needless to say, I will not be doing anything, as I am sure the Direct Debit will be paid on the due date and my balance will be back in credit.
I’m afraid the Emperor does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation ;)

The Direct Debit won’t come out, your account will be in arrears and all sorts of fun will ensue (judging from the efficiency I experienced with Octopus’ backend systems)

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just had a similar issue with Octopus - gas bills but no electricity ones but strangely readings only automatically taken from the electricity meter and not the gas one.

I enquired with Octopus why and they are apparently investigating why the gas meter doesn't work and why i haven't been charged for electricity in 2 months - their reply was that as Octopus Go is an beta product there may be a delay to the bill.

All very strange to me - so paying my DD as usual and hoping it will sort itself out in time.

I've finally (after 6 months waiting) had my smart meter fitted and unsurprisingly it doesn't appear to be connecting the WAN. We're quite rural and although we get a 4G signal, the meter is in the cellar. I realise it was a long shot but I figured it was worth a try.

Anyhow, the meter appears to have quite a big antenna bar that is attached by a fairly long thin wire - presumably so it can be mounted in a better location away from the meter.

I asked the fitter about this and his reply was that the antenna needed to stay next to the meter which just makes no sense to me at all but maybe I'm missing something.

Does anyone have any experience of just relocating the antenna in an attempt to get a better signal?

The cellar is right below the study where a signal should be possible and it would be trival for me to feed it up through the floor.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-02-26 101618.png
    Screenshot 2021-02-26 101618.png
    777.3 KB · Views: 726
Looking at the slack wire on the antenna, it's clearly designed to be further away if needed.

However... Surely he would have needed a signal to have commissioned it. They can even fallback to 2G as needed.

I don't have a signal problem, but I'm 2 months since the install and mine still isn't working properly. So don't expect it to work straight away, I get the impression they simply can't keep up at the moment.

Looking at the slack wire on the antenna, it's clearly designed to be further away if needed.

However... Surely he would have needed a signal to have commissioned it. They can even fallback to 2G as needed.

He said that 'they' would attempt to talk to it remotely and that they'd 'have a few things they could try' over the next week or so. As to how 'they' would do that without any kind of connection is beyond me though. Magic perhaps.

He had to keep going outside to get a connection to his PDA terminal so I'm guessing he signed it off that way.

Ultimately, without a connection it will still work as a meter, but it will just be a dumb meter.

I really just wondered if anyone else had tried moving this kind of antenna themselves?

Did a bit of Googling and found the following document which is very useful:-

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/media/1980/comms_hub_aerial_range_v14_2018-04-16.pdf

So by the looks of it I have the 'T2 Cellular Panorama Aerial' - and it seems like there is T3 alternative that could be mounted outside.

Looking at page 5, it seems like I'll have to hassle Octopus to chase the DCC to raise a 'NO WAN incident'.

I think have a go at moving the aerial myself first though. A bit daft that the installer didn't do that himself though.