Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... Octopus told me that their tariff would work with my existing ELSTER SMETS1.

Switched to them 2 weeks ago, asked for smart meter, started switching process for Go... and..... NOTHING.

No replies to e-mails, nothing.

Great service.... not.

Update.

Apparently GO cannot be offered as my area does not have "Wan network".

Despite me already having a SMETS1 that worked just fine, and me asking them specifically if I could switch to Octopus Go before and would it work - they said yes.

Ridiculously bad service.

My experience so far. Smart meter upgraded in good time to enable Go tariff but in house display will not pick up my actual tariff. Have mentioned it twice to octopus now. The second time upon informing them that they had not billed me yet. Have now been billed but only up to the period when the meter was installed as they cannot seemingly access the half hourly reads - despite these being visible on their app. All a bit meh!

We’ve been with Octopus for a while, but on a normal tariff as I’m not charging at home presently, but will be doing so with a new if life returns to something resembling normality.

We have a smart meter installation scheduled for the 22nd of this month, so we’ll see how it goes. I didn’t book it myself, but no issues so far.

And so the problems begin...

Having previously been concerned about smart meters possibly not fitting next to the (fairly big) consumer unit installed for my car chargepoint and also needing one that can supply off-peak loads on a separate consumer unit (i.e. needs an extra terminal for that), installation went ahead without any issues 2 weeks ago (as previously reported.)

The in-home display wasn't showing any usage for the first week or so, but then sprung into life with my current tariff details and energy usage.

Aware that it can take up to 14 days to complete the switch to Octopus Go, I've waited until the last day to ask if there's any progress with this. I had read they needed half-hourly readings, so I had enabled these in my account.

Apparently they aren't getting all of the half-hourly readings from my meter. :confused:

They're going to get back to me after discussing with their metering team. I'm wondering if my "harvi" (part of the myenergi/zappi setup) could be interfering, since that uses radio comms though I'd imagine it is likely on a different frequency.

Support have been pretty responsive on Twitter throughout my experience so far though.

I had smart meters fitted last week. I can read both gas and electricity meters but only have pricing for gas!
Also when looking in the meter 2nd page it says "waiting for mpan".
Is this a normal response whilst waiting for the 14 days to start to work?

I had smart meters fitted last week. I can read both gas and electricity meters but only have pricing for gas!
Also when looking in the meter 2nd page it says "waiting for mpan".
Is this a normal response whilst waiting for the 14 days to start to work?
Well that's how mine started 6 months ago and has never changed since. So still the same today.

After numerous emails, I was told it's with the meter team still and they have a significant backlog to catch-up on.

just emailed them asking if my old Elster AS300P would be compatible instead of installing a new one. They replied almost instantly say it would work and they’ve already requested the switchover. We’ll see - based on some of these comments I won’t hold my breath

I received an automated "price rise" email this week based upon readings from the meter that was removed 6 months ago. So it's predicting I don't use any electricity, as the reading is still as per the day it was removed. It's become nothing but a farce.

Moving onto Octopus then onto Go was hassle free for us. then took about another 3 or 4 days to get onto Go Faster. Only issue for me is they havent put me on the correct time window that i requested, and seems to be a nightmare to get any information and get this sorted. Otherwise, overall very smooth and easy migration from BG to Octopus with our 2nd gen Smartmeter. Had some initial issues with billing as they missed a few 30min readings, but all sorted now.

Good news! I got a reply from [email protected]

Thanks for getting in touch. Having taken a look your electric meter had got stuck at one of the stages in its commissioning process. I repeated this stage and its now going through so the electric data should begin showing on the display in the next day or so. If there is no electric data by the start of next week let me know and I'll take another look for you.

Meters are now working, with MPAN number and both gas & electricity day tariff prices and running totals. But night tariff is missing. I came from a E7 meter and have been put on standard Octopue E7 tariffs.

I'll email octopus again about the E7 tariff...

• Helpful
Reactions: browellm
Good news! I got a reply from [email protected]

Thanks for getting in touch. Having taken a look your electric meter had got stuck at one of the stages in its commissioning process. I repeated this stage and its now going through so the electric data should begin showing on the display in the next day or so. If there is no electric data by the start of next week let me know and I'll take another look for you.

Meters are now working, with MPAN number and both gas & electricity day tariff prices and running totals. But night tariff is missing. I came from a E7 meter and have been put on standard Octopue E7 tariffs.

I'll email octopus again about the E7 tariff...
That’s great. My electric meter has always worked but my gas one is not sending readings or showing on my IHD. I have just emailed the address you mentioned to see if they can help with this.

My electric meter has always worked but my gas one is not sending readings or showing on my IHD.

Don't expect the gas readings to update in the same way that the electricity ones do. Gas is not near real time, unlike the electricity ones as the gas meter is powered by a battery that must last 10 years. But you should see at least some less obvious feedback that the gas readings are coming through - we can see the latest meter reading from the 'info' menus or whatever its called and the gas gets aggregated into the daily consumption figures.