Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just as a quick follow-up to this. Relocating the antenna within the reach of it's own 1.5m wire didn't appear to help. I asked Octopus to request a T3 external aerial be fitted but their response was comical:-

"Our engineers have been in touch and notified us that T3 aerials are very new and the process hasn’t been established yet and they are waiting to receive an update on this. We recommend getting in touch over the next few months to see if they're available."

So I purchased a 5m SMA extension cable from Amazon for a tenner, relocated the antenna to high up in the room above the cellar and then rebooted the communications part of the meter.

Not sure if it was a coincidence or not, but I got an email from Octopus that same night saying that it was all up and running now.

So, all good finally!
Hi, can you provide details of the aerial used, and the changes you made?

That’s great. My electric meter has always worked but my gas one is not sending readings or showing on my IHD. I have just emailed the address you mentioned to see if they can help with this.
I had a variation of this. Gas Meter reading where not showing up at Octopus but where showing on my IHD. After 6 months of no Gas Bills I submitted a manual reading (and got billed for gas finally) and dropped them an email to sort this nonsense out.

Got a response acknowledging the problem and resolution may take upto 4 weeks.

One week later gas readings showing up on my account - Let's see if my next Bill includes Gas & Electricity.

I know the problems can be frustrating but the saving's on Octopus Go are amazing

Reactions: Tigermad
Just had my smart meter installed today so hoping to get onto Go ASAP, Gas isn't showing but elec currently is. Once I can see them I guess is when I'm good to go?

My whole Gas Meter was swapped out which i wasn't expecting, must have been an old one.

What does Go Faster involve, a 4hr window that you can choose for the cheaper rate?

Just had my smart meter installed today so hoping to get onto Go ASAP, Gas isn't showing but elec currently is. Once I can see them I guess is when I'm good to go?

My whole Gas Meter was swapped out which i wasn't expecting, must have been an old one.

What does Go Faster involve, a 4hr window that you can choose for the cheaper rate?
Go Faster has a multitude of options, from "simply" moving the 4 hour 5p window to start earlier/later, to 3 hour windows at 4.5p and 5 hour windows at 5.5p. Once you're on the basic "Go" you can then ask them to move you to Go Faster and if/when accepted you can choose which options you'd like to go with.

I've jut moved to Faster 4 hours from 20:30 today from the standard Go, so will get some benefot from general evening electricity usage in the house. Every penny counts!

I had a variation of this. Gas Meter reading where not showing up at Octopus but where showing on my IHD. After 6 months of no Gas Bills I submitted a manual reading (and got billed for gas finally) and dropped them an email to sort this nonsense out.

Got a response acknowledging the problem and resolution may take upto 4 weeks.

One week later gas readings showing up on my account - Let's see if my next Bill includes Gas & Electricity.

I know the problems can be frustrating but the saving's on Octopus Go are amazing
Thanks. Gas and Electric all sorted now. Very happy with Octopus.

I wonder how you can get accurate billing when Octopus don't get the meter readings? Do you get billed more or less power at the cheap rate. This is one reason why I will never trust smart meters; I'm on Economy 7 with a solar diverter to heat our water when we generate surplus energy.

I wonder how you can get accurate billing when Octopus don't get the meter readings? Do you get billed more or less power at the cheap rate. This is one reason why I will never trust smart meters; I'm on Economy 7 with a solar diverter to heat our water when we generate surplus energy.
They wouldn't let me on GO without receiving smart meter readings, presumably to guard against this issue.

Go Faster has a multitude of options, from "simply" moving the 4 hour 5p window to start earlier/later, to 3 hour windows at 4.5p and 5 hour windows at 5.5p. Once you're on the basic "Go" you can then ask them to move you to Go Faster and if/when accepted you can choose which options you'd like to go with.

I've jut moved to Faster 4 hours from 20:30 today from the standard Go, so will get some benefot from general evening electricity usage in the house. Every penny counts!
When you are on Go Faster are you restricted to 1 time change per month like changing between Go and Agile?

I prefer the go faster 5h from 20:30 it allows us to do a quick wash and dry before bed as well as charge, my charging was about 4 and a half hours so the 5 hour is a much better option for me, although due to a late finish and some extra mileage I bit into the more expensive rate last night, still overall it works out cheaper. Last month was £67 for total electric use (with Mrs F home working), my previous diesel bill was £80 per week!

When you are on Go Faster are you restricted to 1 time change per month like changing between Go and Agile?

Sorry - no idea. I didn't check as no intention of moving from the 20:30 option.

My IHD seemed to think off-peak times were 11:30pm to 6:30am (or somewhere roughly around those times) despite my switch to Go. It showed Go rates at the current time and I noticed the cheap rate was being displayed outside of the 12:30-4:30 window.

Website shows the correct times so I guess it is just a display issue. But, my storage heaters come on and go off at the wrong time too. So if I'm being billed according to website times but the storage heaters are switched at different times, I'll be paying peak rate prices for some of the time they are running. Not a massive problem as I can fit timers to them instead but a little annoying.

Since raising this with Octopus, my IHD now displays a flat rate unit price of 3.3p and a standing charge of 16.8p. Pretty nice if that were accurate but I doubt it! They're continuing to look into this.

I had Octopus smart meters fitted over 2 weeks ago. They are still just showing a screen with no data.

So I’m still waiting to start a cheaper tariff.

How long did you all have to wait to get your new smart meters registered with the grid and showing usage data?