Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Octopus smart meters fitted over 2 weeks ago. They are still just showing a screen with no data.

So I’m still waiting to start a cheaper tariff.

How long did you all have to wait to get your new smart meters registered with the grid and showing usage data?

We have had 2 sets of smart meters installed by Octopus or their agents. One was Elec and Gas, the other just Elec. On both occasions we had readings on the IHD by the end of the day, and the elec only one, it was pretty much immediate. However, with the elec/gas one, we didn't get one set of readings on the IHD within the 2 week window - Octopus refused to investigate within that time frame which would have sped things up as the commissioning got stuck to needed some manual intervention after which time immediately we got IHD for both elec and gas.

As for showing up on the web portal, things took a little longer. Under normal use, when things run smooth (they don't always), web portal normally gets updated by the afternoon of the following day. But first readings took a week or so to appear on the portal then back filled to point of installation.

So based on sample set of 3 meters, up to 2 weeks unless there is an issue, but normally pretty quick to view on IHD and an additional week(ish) to appear on the portal.

Have you made a manual "first" meter reading yet? It won't start reading until you have done that...

Never needed to do that.

I had Octopus smart meters fitted over 2 weeks ago. They are still just showing a screen with no data.

How long did you all have to wait to get your new smart meters registered with the grid and showing usage data?
Sometimes needs a phone call to get a human to throw the switch! It can take a week or more but worth following up.

I was on the Go tariff one week after Octopus took over my supply from E.ON.

The Smart meter was only installed (by E.ON) 17 days before the switch to Octopus was confirmed.

Have now switched over to Octopus Go but my Smart Meter still shows the old kwh rates so the cost isn't correct. Messaged CS and they asked to reset it and wait 24 hours but nothing has happened yet, anyone had the same?

I presume you mean the in home display, rather than the actual meter.

The display does not have any influence over billing at all, they operate independently. So the actual bill will be correct.

These displays seem to be a bit unreliable, mine has been wrong for 6 months now. However, everything else got sorted for me and the billing is all correct.

The display does not have any influence over billing at all, they operate independently. So the actual bill will be correct.

These displays seem to be a bit unreliable, mine has been wrong for 6 months now. However, everything else got sorted for me and the billing is all correct.
Yup I meant the IHD, that's fine then - just alarming when you wake up to a much higher cost than you were expecting after charging overnight! Guess I'll just stop looking after the novelty wears off 😁

Octopus Agile; Go and Go Faster are all single register tariffs with billing based on 30 minute usage. Sadly, this gives Octopus something of a challenge. To pull this data, Octopus uses a third-party Adaptor provided by its Data Collector TMA. If any 30 minute usage data period is missing, Kraken, Octopus’ billing platform, will not raise a monthly statement for electricity. The data has to be recovered manually. You can check whether any data is missing by using Guy Lipman’s excellent suite of tools or by signing up to N3rgy.com: use the ‘I am consumer’ link.

I am now on my second complete set of SMETS2 meters. My current Kaifa MA120 electricity meter is no longer providing export data. Others are finding that both import and export data has gone awry. The worrying thing about this particular problem is the meter is not storing the missing data. It would seem that the associated XML when recovered is empty of data. I suspect that another meter change is imminent.

I have just had my first Octopus Go bill - got to say, after a couple of setup issues that needed an email to sort out, it is fantastic. In the first 5 weeks we've saved £45 off our electricity bill, which means £468 per year. I highly recommend it - the staff have been very friendly and helpful too.

Just thought I'd come back and add that it's now July and mine still isn't "commissioned" or sending information to Octopus. Ergo, I am on the higher 'interim' tariff so have been paying a fortune. It's really disappointing and has seemed like nothing more than a bait and switch tactic. I should have stayed with Green where comparatively I was on a lower unit rate.

Can anyone shed any light on which GSM network the smart meter connects to?

Reactions: j1mgg
Just thought I'd come back and add that it's now July and mine still isn't "commissioned" or sending information to Octopus. Ergo, I am on the higher 'interim' tariff so have been paying a fortune. It's really disappointing and has seemed like nothing more than a bait and switch tactic. I should have stayed with Green where comparatively I was on a lower unit rate.

Can anyone shed any light on which GSM network the smart meter connects to?
Can I suggest you switch to tracker for the interim... its similar in cost to go but without the 5p and no expensive peaks like Agile.
Last month N Scotland 17.6p kWh and 23p day ( the most expensive area)

Reactions: 512uk
They have now finally confirmed they will not be able to provide a functioning smart meter.

From start to finish they have been a masterclass in shocking customer experience. It's taken them 7 months to get to this point - and me being roped along into paying £300 over the odds on the 'interim' tariff. The latest engineer visit reported that the smart meter "will never work" and "should never have been installed in the first place / I've been telling them that since the install". Following that report they were still prepared to start the process to make another appointment to come out and swap something extra. When I pointed out these engineer comments, they eventually acknowledged and said it was all out of their control. A strong indication that they will just follow a tech troubleshooting process flow diagram, without any logical thought in the process at all. And all of this AFTER I sent a formal complaint to 'Greg'.

I asked them several days ago to make a commercial gesture in relation to the above, they of course have not responded yet. I have copied 'Greg' into all emails, and have not heard so much of a whisper from him. It might give some indication of the disdain with which they hold their customers. "It starts at the top" as they say.

A further comical remark, 'Ted from Octopus Energy' said he could not help with anything billing related and that I would need to 'speak to my supplier , Octopus Energy'. I think that pretty much says it all.

Totally incompetent.

AVOID them like the plague.

I’m interested in moving to Octopus but don’t want to switch and be stuck on a more expensive interim tariff for months while they sort something out.

With that said, I’m currently on a SMETS1 Elster AS300P which I believe was fitted by Scottish Power when the house was built. To complicate matters, Outfox the Market (my current supplier) have told me that according to records, I have a smart gas meter but I don’t, I have an analogue one. I believe this i caused by the gas meter being changed at the time the house was being built as it has a sticker on it with a previous meter serial number.

If I switch to Octopus, are they likely to sort these out for me? I’m in the KY postcode if that makes a difference.

They have now finally confirmed they will not be able to provide a functioning smart meter.

From start to finish they have been a masterclass in shocking customer experience. It's taken them 7 months to get to this point - and me being roped along into paying £300 over the odds on the 'interim' tariff. The latest engineer visit reported that the smart meter "will never work" and "should never have been installed in the first place / I've been telling them that since the install". Following that report they were still prepared to start the process to make another appointment to come out and swap something extra. When I pointed out these engineer comments, they eventually acknowledged and said it was all out of their control. A strong indication that they will just follow a tech troubleshooting process flow diagram, without any logical thought in the process at all. And all of this AFTER I sent a formal complaint to 'Greg'.

I asked them several days ago to make a commercial gesture in relation to the above, they of course have not responded yet. I have copied 'Greg' into all emails, and have not heard so much of a whisper from him. It might give some indication of the disdain with which they hold their customers. "It starts at the top" as they say.

A further comical remark, 'Ted from Octopus Energy' said he could not help with anything billing related and that I would need to 'speak to my supplier , Octopus Energy'. I think that pretty much says it all.

Totally incompetent.

AVOID them like the plague.
I had a similar experience. Greg didn't reply, but passed it onto one of his managers who didn't solve my issue. Got more sense from the Smart meter installer...

Reactions: 512uk
I’m interested in moving to Octopus but don’t want to switch and be stuck on a more expensive interim tariff for months while they sort something out.

With that said, I’m currently on a SMETS1 Elster AS300P which I believe was fitted by Scottish Power when the house was built. To complicate matters, Outfox the Market (my current supplier) have told me that according to records, I have a smart gas meter but I don’t, I have an analogue one. I believe this i caused by the gas meter being changed at the time the house was being built as it has a sticker on it with a previous meter serial number.

If I switch to Octopus, are they likely to sort these out for me? I’m in the KY postcode if that makes a difference.
I'm also KY. Had a smart meter (SMETS1) for electric and gas installed by Scottish Power too.

The switch was seamless for electricity was less than 3 weeks as the SMETS1 was already compatible. I didn't initially move my gas over as found SO Energy cheaper for gas but had to provide manual readings which got irritating so eventually switched over to Octopus too.

Might work out cheaper to use 2 different providers, you'd certainly save a lot on electricity when the car arrives. I'm not sure how long Octopus would take to fit a smart meter to the gas but given there's less savings to be had there it's probably less urgent?

Reactions: sparkymark75