Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sending them monthly readings? Are they sending you monthly reminders?
I usually get the bill a couple of days later..but it shows in my account view my balance history, within a couple of hours of sending the reading online.

I was every month for a while, but since they cant be bothered I can't either so I've missed a couple. They take my DD right on time though.. it has a frightening amount of credit.

If they keep this up until next year they can't back bill more than 12 months :p

I can't see how you could save money on the daily tracker rate for stupid meters compared to the normal Octopus tariff, given the rise in wholesale energy prices. Have I done my maths wrong?
It's cheaper than the standard Octopus rates. And does, or used to, get the benefit from cheaper winter rates on windy days. Of course its (almost) always windy up here and there is an idea in the pipeline for special local rates when the wind farms are complete and we stop using the diesel generators.

It's cheaper than the standard Octopus rates. And does, or used to, get the benefit from cheaper winter rates on windy days. Of course its (almost) always windy up here and there is an idea in the pipeline for special local rates when the wind farms are complete and we stop using the diesel generators.

I'm not sure how anybody benefits from Agile either ... for my pattern of use it costs approximately double compared with Octopus Go. If I used the car more it would be even more dramatic.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
My smart meter stopped submitting readings in Feb, they don't seem to be overly bothered to fix it, which means I'm going to get a mahoosive bill when they do :(

It should be possible to have your bill estimated based on your previous pattern of use so at least the cost should be close to what you would have paid over the period ... but you will have been putting the money aside each month anyway 😜.

• Funny
Reactions: TestPilot
It should be possible to have your bill estimated based on your previous pattern of use so at least the cost should be close to what you would have paid over the period ... but you will have been putting the money aside each month anyway 😜.
Oh man, I would have but my gas and electric meters haven't been working at the same time long enough for me to actually get a feel for how much to keep aside. So sadly, I have not 😬

I have a secure SMETS1 that Eon installed in 2014. Works fine with Octopus (thankfully).
my 3 bed Bungalow with 1 bed annex has everything electric bar an oil boiler.
we used to use 7200kWh back in 2014 but with two solar installations and two Powerwalls added since that time, we’re now down to 2100kWh for last year and probably under 2000 for this year. We didn’t even have EV’s back in 20141!
To be fair, we’re retired so have no daily commute or necessity to charge daily.

So, we went ahead with switching to Octopus. This has now completed and despite them saying we have a SMETS1 meter (we don't) they do seem to have been able to take it over. The meter is showing our interim tariff (which is Economy 7 due to us having been on an EV tariff when we had the meter installed, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get around this). Given we have solar and an EV, this doesn't seem like a bad thing, though the day rate is quite high. We also had a message on the IHD saying "Welcome to Octopus Energy".

We have now requested to switch to Go, and they're waiting to receive half-hourly readings. One concern is that the meter is displaying the wrong time on the meter itself (but the IHD shows the correct time). It seems to be ahead by roughly 2h15. I'm not sure if this is an artefact of the switch or if it's been wrong in the past and gone unnoticed. If the meter time is GMT, it is probably actually 3h15 fast, I think.

The IHD suggests our night rate starts at 01:38. Taking 2h15 off this gives 11:23pm as the night rate start. In terms of general usage it's probably been an advantage for us if the EDF night rate was coming in early. I guess once half-hourly readings are available it should soon be obvious if the timing matches up with usage, particularly since we have monitoring from the solar system to compare against.

So, we went ahead with switching to Octopus. This has now completed and despite them saying we have a SMETS1 meter (we don't) they do seem to have been able to take it over. The meter is showing our interim tariff (which is Economy 7 due to us having been on an EV tariff when we had the meter installed, there doesn't seem to be an obvious way to get around this). Given we have solar and an EV, this doesn't seem like a bad thing, though the day rate is quite high. We also had a message on the IHD saying "Welcome to Octopus Energy".

We have now requested to switch to Go, and they're waiting to receive half-hourly readings. One concern is that the meter is displaying the wrong time on the meter itself (but the IHD shows the correct time). It seems to be ahead by roughly 2h15. I'm not sure if this is an artefact of the switch or if it's been wrong in the past and gone unnoticed. If the meter time is GMT, it is probably actually 3h15 fast, I think.
We have an E7 meter and switching to Octopus on 17 Sep, and going for Octopus Go.

If you have a 5-terminal smart meter, you can get the 5th terminal active only during the off-peak periods (Octopus have confirmed this). You need a 5-terminal meter though - I need this for E7 immersion heater and other circuit.

I've just moved across to Octopus and I must say the experience has been pretty good so far! I used my friends referral code and signed up 8th August. I'm in a new build house (11 months old) so already had the latest smart meter. Switch over took place 25th August and my account was credited the £50 referral money (today) and I just had an email to say they have connected to my smart meter already and getting the half hourly readings and that I could now switch to Octopus Go. A few clicks and i'm all switched over!

Easy peasy! Rolll on 11th September for the delivery of my M3LR, joining #teamblack

Reactions: Adopado
So the smart meter is sending half hourly readings and we’ve switched to Go. The time offset seen on the meter display is there in the electricity data but not the gas. If I’ve understood things correctly our 5p rate currently starts at 22:15. I’ve contacted Octopus about this, let’s see if they can fix it remotely. It’s possibly been like this from day 1 of the meter installation.

I have the exact same issue - no electricity bill since Feb. I've contacted them several times apparently it's with the smart metre team! Gonna get a massive bill at some point, no idea what rate I'll be charged
Mine initially had this issue, and then reported double the readings for a while.

I'd recommend taking weekly meter readings until you're content it's working all ok.

Octopus have been fine in crediting my account with the errors though, no issues.

My smart meter stopped submitting readings in Feb, they don't seem to be overly bothered to fix it, which means I'm going to get a mahoosive bill when they do

I have the exact same issue - no electricity bill since Feb. I've contacted them several times apparently it's with the smart metre team! Gonna get a massive bill at some point, no idea what rate I'll be charged
Report them to ombudsman then they will bother to fix it

I had no response when I switched to Octopus and signed up to their 'I'm interested in a Smart meter' link. Chased it up with a named individual at Octopus who emailed over another account related point. Got an appointment to install the meter quickly and it was all done within two weeks. Great service in my opinion. If it helps anyone, I'm happy to share the contact details of the individual and her supervisor via DM.

I went from sign-up to being on a SMETS2 meter within 4 weeks - a week before my car arrived.
Hi Tinca, please can I have the email address of the Octopus employee who helped speed your smart meter installation?

Report them to ombudsman then they will bother to fix it
my electricity meter stopped working for a whole year, and was going the ombudsman route when they finally sent an engineer over... the engineer literally turned it off then on again and meter was back working fine :oops:

To their credit, Octopus compensated me for the issue without the ombudsman getting involved - and from a financial perspective I was very happy with the outcome.

my electricity meter stopped working for a whole year, and was going the ombudsman route when they finally sent an engineer over... the engineer literally turned it off then on again and meter was back working fine :oops:

To their credit, Octopus compensated me for the issue without the ombudsman getting involved - and from a financial perspective I was very happy with the outcome.
My parents have had “smart” meters installed, but no sign of them working yet after quite a few months and 10 weeks since the last contact.

The local DNO are supposed to be fitting a new supply so I guess we’ll see if a reboot fixes it for them.

I've been on Octopus for a week, and all slots are fully booked for 6 weeks, and it is a lottery if you can book a slot as the link I had has no slots. I'll be moving from Octopus very soon if this isn't resolved as Octopus told me I could book a slot with them as soon as I was a customer, and that statement was not true.

Never been with an electricity supplier for under a month before!

I've been on Octopus for a week, and all slots are fully booked for 6 weeks, and it is a lottery if you can book a slot as the link I had has no slots. I'll be moving from Octopus very soon if this isn't resolved as Octopus told me I could book a slot with them as soon as I was a customer, and that statement was not true.

Never been with an electricity supplier for under a month before!
I’ve emailed Octopus three times and not even managed to get a link to book an appointment yet. It’s frustrating as I got my Zappi charger installed after two weeks even though it was a bit complicated with me being on a looped supply.