Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Smart Meter Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, smart meter and IHD replaced (upgraded). New IHD is sort of working but isn't yet showing a unit price (0p/kWh), and apparently readings are now being received at Octopus but not seeing anything in my account yet, and no idea how much I'm going to be charged for Jan-Oct.......

We had a smart meter installed by Octopus (AES) 7 days ago. I've had an email from Octopus confirming that the new smart meter has been installed and that they now need to connect to the meter. My online account hasn't changed at all since the meter install was booked but the IHD is showing the correct rate for our current tariff and has done since immediately after the meter was installed. The display on the meter indicates it has strong mobile signal. Perhaps things are proceeding as normal behind the scenes but I was concerned that nothing seems to happening on our online account page - should I be? Desperate to get on Go ASAP.

Smart Meter was installed two days ago and the readings from the installation date are already on my Octopus account.

One problem, I'm on Economy 7, but my 5th terminal is being activated 30 minutes too early, so I'm billed at the higher rate for 1/2 hour - Octopus say that it should self-correct in a week. This is costing me money!

I've very impressed with Octopus Customer Service, that alone is a good enough reason to move to Octopus.

Octopus said if I go for GO, and the GO tariff reduces, I can immediately request a switch to a cheaper current GO tariff. I wonder, is GO variable or fixed for 12 months.

One problem, I'm on Economy 7, but my 5th terminal is being activated 30 minutes too early, so I'm billed at the higher rate for 1/2 hour - Octopus say that it should self-correct in a week. This is costing me money!
Try being stuck with incompetent installers that can't get both gas/elec meters working, they fix one, break the other etc. I could have been on Octopus Go before all the price rises kicked in if it wasn't for incompetent installers. I'm now stuck paying a high flat rate.

I ordered my smart meter from Octopus in August 2019 but was told they wernt doing smart meters in my area for another 1 to 2 months so i couldnt switch to the Go tariff, I chased a few times over the next fews months and by 10th Dec I finally emailed Greg Jackson (CEO of Octopus), 2 days later I had a smart meter appointment for 27th December.

Took a little while to activate and get readings through from the old meter but by 17th Jan 20 I was on Octopus Go.

Reactions: LEE3
Try being stuck with incompetent installers that can't get both gas/elec meters working, they fix one, break the other etc. I could have been on Octopus Go before all the price rises kicked in if it wasn't for incompetent installers. I'm now stuck paying a high flat rate.
Are the GO tariffs fixed for a period of time or are they variable? Octopus told me if I go onto GO, and the GO rate reduces, I can switch to the reduced rate GO. As I'm a high day electricity user, it's break-even staying on E7 or going to GO.

Are the GO tariffs fixed for a period of time or are they variable? Octopus told me if I go onto GO, and the GO rate reduces, I can switch to the reduced rate GO. As I'm a high day electricity user, it's break-even staying on E7 or going to GO.

Go is a 12 month tariff but there is no exit penalty so you can restart the contract if things change. I did this with my gas tariff when unit price dropped.

But it does confuse everyone especially if you are dual fuel - most of it is because its pretty much standard comms no matter what so I found that when I switches gas, I was also getting standard emails about Go tariff switch also. It took a while to get them to confirm it was only gas changing and not electricity too. Similar also occurred on Go renewal, as electricity and gas were then out of sync.

• Informative
Reactions: RedMod3
What are the rates on that tariff?
A good question, I asked about the price cap rate, and I was told the value, which of course is no use. I have gone back to Octopus and asked for the rate per hour.

Meanwhile, my E7 tariff on Octopus has gone haywire with wrong rates being charged and my 5th terminal on the smart meter being activated at the wrong time.

If Octopus don't fix this soon, I'll be off to another supplier.

I've been waiting MONTHS for my existing SMETS1 smart meter to be updated to allow Octopus to connect to it and allow me to use Octopus Go. Finally got a reply on email last week which said they're planning to upgrade the L&G SMETS1 meters in my area "soon"... haven't got the car yet but have got the EV charger installed! Would be great if they could swap me over before December... 👀

Same here, it is not just you. After I chase they do eventually trigger a bill, but I'm getting tired of having to ask every few months.

Must be a serious system issue.
I need to start pointing out they can't back-bill more than 12 months so if they don't sort it soon they're going to be giving me free electricity. Might get it escalated high enough to do something about it.

I need to start pointing out they can't back-bill more than 12 months so if they don't sort it soon they're going to be giving me free electricity. Might get it escalated high enough to do something about it.

Interesting, I didn't know the 12 month rule, maybe I shouldn't keep chasing them.

I was offered a gesture of goodwill last time, which I accepted.

After much chasing they do somehow manually trigger a bill for me. But likewise, no automatic bill has ever been generated this year and it's time now yet again for me to chase.

It is rather crazy, the ability to bill would seem quite critical to their business model.