Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Tesla and Powerwall

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
... just to add...

The Tesla Gateway 2 device is bloody clever.

It has its own fuse board seperated into

1) Backup side connections
2) Grid Tied connections

So this means you can wire stuff up on Grid-tied side, so if theres a grid outage it shuts off high demand devices like car chargers, pool pumps etc.. to save backup power for your house only.

Or... you can wire car chargers on the Backup Side which then keeps it all live on your Battery & solar array.

Plus... it saves you losing slots on your consumer board.

Reactions: phil4

johnmwingnut

Jul 27, 2020
Bedford
... just to add...

The Tesla Gateway 2 device is bloody clever.

It has its own fuse board seperated into

1) Backup side connections
2) Grid Tied connections

So this means you can wire stuff up on Grid-tied side, so if theres a grid outage it shuts off high demand devices like car chargers, pool pumps etc.. to save backup power for your house only.

Or... you can wire car chargers on the Backup Side which then keeps it all live on your Battery & solar array.

Plus... it saves you losing slots on your consumer board.
So can you run the house off of the Powerwall and M3 battery in a blackout?

Im sure I read in a recent Tesla update about the car and powerwall being able to communicate in a blackout now, or something like that.

Our hot water is solar thermal + the ASHP with or without immersion of which both are controlled by the NIBE control unit. I’ve had a quick look and appears that NIBE do make something similar, so will have to research into it. Won’t solve the car charging side of things though. I’m surprised the Tesla gateway cannot control that though.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
So can you run the house off of the Powerwall and M3 battery in a blackout?

Im sure I read in a recent Tesla update about the car and powerwall being able to communicate in a blackout now, or something like that.

Our hot water is solar thermal + the ASHP with or without immersion of which both are controlled by the NIBE control unit. I’ve had a quick look and appears that NIBE do make something similar, so will have to research into it. Won’t solve the car charging side of things though. I’m surprised the Tesla gateway cannot control that though.
My perfect scenario is Vehicle to Home (V2H) power... this would be perfect as I'd then have over 100kWh of backup power... but at the moment I do not think the Tesla Model 3 Performance can do this.

It's extremely complicated because of the high power demanding DC to AC conversion... I don't think Tesla want to do it? They'd rather you buy the Powerwalls.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
Also Tesla are heavily invested in the Virtual Power Grid system using Powerwalls & Octopus Energy supplier.

Cycling high power from your car into the Grid, might create some 'connectivity' excitement being left to the general public :D

johnmwingnut

Jul 27, 2020
Bedford
So basically I need another powerwall. I’m not sure an Eddie will reap reward as in theory my main excess solar is during Summer, but I have solar thermal which gets us about 70 degree hot water everyday from may to September.

I know Tesla are brining out a new charger so maybe that will have features like Zappie does. If not I’ll get a zappie

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
We had the same choice to make. Ground source was way too much money for us and we have a huge field that it could have been run in. You say ASHP would struggle in your Bungalow - how so? We have around 186sqm of floor space and our ASHP has no issue heating it at all.
when I said it would struggle, that was misleading.
Ours is just shy of 250sq Metres including our annex which all runs off one boiler. We have no prospect of underfloor heating and most of the rads would need upgrading. whilst an appropriately size AHSP would work, our solar in winter doesn’t feed sufficient power in winter to run everything now.
I haven’t done the sums of oil vs AHSP on off peak yet. Maybe there isn’t much in it.
it’s the curse of having a row trees on my boundary that I love, but they affect winter sun greatly !

Dilly

Feb 24, 2020
Norfolk
Yes, perfect !!

Having the power delivery of at least 10kW constant deals with most daily demands without going to Solar or Grid. Perfect in Winter to keep everything running on cheap rate.

Nice setup.
we can draw 10kWh peak, 7KWh sustainable from the PW’s plus up to a further 10kWh from the panels at the same time. Realistically 15kWh sustainable peaking at 20 (In summer!) In the normal scheme of things we rarely get close to either.
Last week could have been mistaken for November. So nice to have the panels working flat out again :cool:

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
So basically I need another powerwall. I’m not sure an Eddie will reap reward as in theory my main excess solar is during Summer, but I have solar thermal which gets us about 70 degree hot water everyday from may to September.

I know Tesla are brining out a new charger so maybe that will have features like Zappie does. If not I’ll get a zappie
If you don't want your home 'dipping' into Peak Rate grid power above 5kW demand... then yes.

Two Powerwall 2 batteries will give you 27kWh of storage to use AND cover just about everything in the house below 10-15kW demand.

Our home uses about 22kWh per day (not car charging)...

So in UK Spring/Summertime 27kWh provides about two rainy days bridging power to keep us 100% self powered most of the time.

In Winter we can download 4 hours (20 kWh) on Octopus Go ... or 5 hours (25 kWh) on Octopus Go Faster tariffs.

That'll just about do nicely.

The car will charge seperately on Summer excess, or Winter overnight.

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK
we can draw 10kWh peak, 7KWh sustainable from the PW’s plus up to a further 10kWh from the panels at the same time. Realistically 15kWh sustainable peaking at 20 (In summer!) In the normal scheme of things we rarely get close to either.
Last week could have been mistaken for November. So nice to have the panels working flat out again :cool:
Haha, similar here...

Our Solar Array is 7.2 kWp but limited with a 5kW inverter (East/West array)

Powerwalls kick out 10kW (upto 15kW) plus Solar at 5kW... more than enough for our tiny house :D

Nice well balanced setup

PITA

Model 3 Performance
Sep 2, 2021
West Midlands, UK

Indeed.

We rarely use Eddie for Water Heating now, as excess is routed through to powering the EV.

BUT... It's still there in the background as a backup.

So in Winter if our Central Heating Gas Boiler fails...

... we can still heat the house via Heat Pump, and heat the hot water tank with Eddie.

Win, Win.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC