TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Odd air suspension behavior when parked

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by benf, Dec 25, 2015.

1. benf

benf Member

So over the past few weeks I've noticed that my car seems to be raising itself when parked. I'll be driving around at "normal" height all day, park the car in my garage, and come back to see unusually huge wheel gaps front and rear. If I get in the car it says it's at the "normal" height. However if I change it to "low" and then back to "normal", it's significantly lower than it was before.

Has anyone else experienced this? I thought maybe there was some weird GPS based thing going on, but it did the same thing this morning in a parking lot I've never been to. I came back from breakfast to see my monster truck wheel gaps, got in the car, and it said it was the "normal" height even though it clearly wasn't.

I need to pay more attention to it now, because I'm not 100% sure if it's happening while I'm parked, or if my car is randomly raising itself while I'm driving and then I don't see it until I come back to the car next. Either way, it's odd that "normal" is not a consistent height.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

If you raised the suspension there, it will remember it and raise it every time unless you press the cancel button.

3. SomeJoe7777

SomeJoe7777 Marginally-Known Member

I've noticed that ever since I upgraded to 7.0, the air suspension appears to be more sensitive/aggressive to leveling the car when parked.

My garage has a very slight slope towards the doors (fairly standard, causes any spilled liquid to run out of the garage instead of towards the house). Under 6.x, this slope was not enough to cause the car to self-level when I parked it in the garage. Under 7.0, it routinely self-levels when I park it.