Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd and (I suspect) common tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed that my front tires have tended to wear excessively on the inside edge. An alignment check indicated that the toe was slightly beyond spec out (negative?) and it was corrected. Even after being corrected (per their printout) there's still more wear than I was used to on my other cars.

There are several Model 3s in my parking lot and I've checked the tires on them and saw the same wear pattern. I've seem more than one picture of tires removed from Model 3s and the same wear was there, too.

Is it possible that the Model 3 causes excessive inside wear during dynamic driving (meaning, anything other than driving straight ahead)?

Despite having a Performance model, I drive like grandma most of the time. I suspect the suspension would flex to some extent under acceleration - is it possible that the suspension flexes and "toes-out" during acceleration?

Otherwise, the car drives perfectly and tracks just fine. No pulling left or right. The steering wheel is perfectly straight.

Thanks,

Keith

Edit Update:

I should have added that I have a 2019 Performance that came stock with the 20" wheels. I switched to a set of 2020 18" Aeros with the stock Michelins. Yes, I had to shave the calipers to get them to fit, but spacers were not required.

Other than the inside edge excessive wear, the rest of the tread is wearing at what I think is reasonable. The tires have over 20K miles on them and I'm guessing they are good for about 10K more.

Last edited:
You probably have the factory installed junk Continentals that wear fast, especially when you start your tread at 7/10
Pick of the measured tread at pick up of Model Y

Attachments

• 20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    20201110_121722_resized.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 127
I have same happening with all 4 of my 18" tires. I'm on my second set since buying my M3LRD in March 2019. I put a lot of miles on it without a doubt. But the inside wear band is going to cause replacement soon when the rest of the tire is wearing decently. Alignment checked good when this set was put on. I guess all that $$ I'm saving on gas, oil changes, and brakes is going towards tires. P.S. I love driving my Tesla. I'm not really complaining. More wondering if anyone's doing anything or of the norm regarding alignment settings to compensate for the weight.

Attachments

• PXL_20210828_144154482.jpg
    PXL_20210828_144154482.jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 73
My 19” Continentals started wearing the same way and started to develop cupping on the inside and we’re getting loud. Rotated the fronts to the rear and got an alignment. 2000 miles later tires are much quieter and all looks well. Prob should have had alignment checked sooner.. may well have come from the factory that way.

I have same happening with all 4 of my 18" tires. I'm on my second set since buying my M3LRD in March 2019. I put a lot of miles on it without a doubt. But the inside wear band is going to cause replacement soon when the rest of the tire is wearing decently. Alignment checked good when this set was put on. I guess all that $$ I'm saving on gas, oil changes, and brakes is going towards tires. P.S. I love driving my Tesla. I'm not really complaining. More wondering if anyone's doing anything or of the norm regarding alignment settings to compensate for the weight.
FWIW the 18" Michelin MXM4 just wears out very fast. The OEM 19" Conti Pro's last nearly twice as long.

Rotations are key to helping alleviate this concern, but a yearly/12k alignment is also very important.

I'll just add, these cars obviously accelerate so effortlessly, that I think it contributes to wear pretty quickly (ask yourself "how often are other cars pulling away from me at a light?"). Dynamic (cornering hard) should actually wear the outside shoulders more due to the camber gain of learning into a corner.

Rotations are key to helping alleviate this concern, but a yearly/12k alignment is also very important.
Yes, can’t stress that enough. Have alignment checks often and rotate if there is any sign of uneven wear both for a single tire or among the set, as you want even wear if you hope to collect any pro-rated mileage credit. Michelin covered over half the cost of my second tire set after my original MXMs were down to <3/32”.