Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd battery behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

VandalSibs

I am One with the Force, and the Force is with me
Oct 28, 2019
Spokane, WA
I'm driving a 202 Model 3 SR+ (picked up in November of 2019), and have noticed something interesting this winter (so far).

I charge to 80% every night, and depending on the conditions of my commute I usually get to around 60-62% when I get to work. When parked, I don't have sentry mode on, no FSD so no summon, heating/ac turn off when the car locks. After leaving the car parked for about an hour, it'll drain to about 57%. The rest of the day (I rarely drive anywhere during the work day), it's fine, maybe 1% or so drain.

Anyone think that this is something that I should have looked at, or is it just cold weather behavior (I live in Eastern Washington, work in North Idaho)?

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

Checking the car with your app or any third party app you have (Teslafi?) will consume power. Also, even though I lock my car, sometimes it will keep the climate control system on. I've gotten into the habit of manually turning it off before I exit the car. If none of those apply to you, I'd have it checked.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I don't check the app until I leave for the day, and don't use third party apps.

I thought the climate control turned off when the car locks and there's no one in it..... maybe I'm wrong about that. I'll start doing that just to be safe...

I don't check the app until I leave for the day, and don't use third party apps.

I thought the climate control turned off when the car locks and there's no one in it..... maybe I'm wrong about that. I'll start doing that just to be safe...
I always turn climate off before leaving my car. I then goes to sleep every time.

Reactions: theothertom
I'm driving a 202 Model 3 SR+ (picked up in November of 2019), and have noticed something interesting this winter (so far).

I charge to 80% every night, and depending on the conditions of my commute I usually get to around 60-62% when I get to work. When parked, I don't have sentry mode on, no FSD so no summon, heating/ac turn off when the car locks. After leaving the car parked for about an hour, it'll drain to about 57%. The rest of the day (I rarely drive anywhere during the work day), it's fine, maybe 1% or so drain.

Anyone think that this is something that I should have looked at, or is it just cold weather behavior (I live in Eastern Washington, work in North Idaho)?

Thanks for any thoughts or input!

I'm going to rule out any sort of idle mode issues, and assume the car is sleeping nicely (just for simplicity, no idea whether or not that's what is happening in your particular situation), not running the fan, etc. (If you leave climate control on, the car is set to sometimes run the fan for a bit after getting out, to prevent funk from building up in the evaporator coils & air filter, due to dampness. So turning off climate control before getting out may not be the best plan. But running the fan (no AC or heat) for 30 minutes isn't going to result in 3-5% drain. So I'm assuming this is not it, but you can experiment with it, and enjoy the resulting funky vomit odors, if you wish.)

Anyway, this sort of behavior has been reported in the past. It can also go the other way (increasing SoC after parking). We don't seem to know why this happens. Maybe some sort of balancing behavior. No one knows. If everyone always paid attention to exactly what their rated range was doing when leaving and getting back to their car, I'm sure we'd find all sorts of funny things happening across the fleet.

Maybe the battery is cooling down while it is parked (low outside temperature), reducing its range. Do you have a heated garage at home?
Wife and I are in the process of insulating our garage right now, got about half taken care of. The other half will have to wait until spring, as there's old shelving that we have to rip out first. No heating otherwise.

We also just had a 14-50 outlet (50amp circuit) installed, been nice not having to use the supercharger once a week...

Wife and I are in the process of insulating our garage right now, got about half taken care of. The other half will have to wait until spring, as there's old shelving that we have to rip out first. No heating otherwise.

With my (unheated) garage, the temperature get down to 50 degrees even though the outside is in the mid twenties. It is insulated though.

Take a temperature reading in the garage before you leave. Also the car will have temperature displayed on the monitor. Might be interesting to see those numbers...

Think it was in the low 40s when I left this morning (about an hour ago), outside temp in the 20s.

That being said, with it being in the 20s this morning I got to work at 57%, so any more testing on this issue (60-62% to 57% in a hour) will have to wait until it's a smidge warmer outside.

Thanks for all the input, everyone!

Battery cooling or heating ? or the 12v is weak ?
What is the outside temperarure ?

it can take a little time before my Tesla gets into deep sleep.

For instance the outside temperature is 3c and Stator at 46c, my Tesla will cool the stator , result : 2% lost before going into deep sleep.

• Helpful
Reactions: pjensen