Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd behavior of outside mirrors when open or close sunroof from Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
I was showing some family members how the Android phone app works on my Model S yesterday, and noticed that the outside rearview mirrors had opened. I had opened (vented) and closed the sunroof, flashed the lights and blown the horn. So today I did some testing. Sometimes when I close the sunroof, but not every time, the outside mirrors fold open. I had to unlock the car and then lock it to get the mirrors to fold again.
I made sure that I was out of range with the key so that it was not a case of the car detecting the key nearby.
It seems to happen with certain sequences but not others. E.g., if the roof is open and then I close it with the phone, the mirrors open. Opening and closing the sunroof again does not change the mirror position. If I then unlock the car, and re-lock it, the mirrors fold up on the locking action. If I then close the sunroof, the mirrors stay closed.
I have not done this enough times to be certain I have found all the scenarios, but it does seem as though the mirrors open at least some of the time when I close the sunroof, and there seems to be no reason for that. It does not really cause any problem for me, but it seems incorrect.
This seems odd and unrelated to the intended sunroof action, so I was curious if others had noticed it. i did a search and did not find any recent threads that mentioned it, but I admit I did not go through all threads that mentioned the mirrors...

This is a bug already discussed elsewhere in the forum. Not sure if this is specific to Android. If I had to guess, I would say the iOS version of the app behaves the same way, as I expect the bug is in the car sw, not the app.

Don't know if anyone has reported it yet. I have been planning to report it for a while, but have been procrastinating. Will do tomorrow :p