Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Odd buzzing sound coming from the dash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I figured I'd post the video here first to see if anyone else knows what's going on (and more importantly if it's fixable) because I'll be giving the local service center a call tomorrow.

There is no real reason as to why/when it happens, only that the car is brand new (end of March this year, just before the refresh) and it has to do with the fan blowing around the air in the car (if I shut climate off it goes away).

I have a 2016 S90D and I am getting a similar sound from the left from driver's area only when I'm traveling at highway speeds and on parts of the road with not so smooth asphalt which causes more vibrations in the car.

12/2015 85D here.

I heard a similar noise in mine yesterday by not quite as loud. Mine is a low level whirring noise which also goes away when the AC is off. The service center guy took a listen and said its normal. Apparently a recent firmware update increased the power from the AC (due to complaints it wasn't cold enough) which can explain the noise.

Additionally it's now hotter outside. They said the AC is also responsible for cooling the battery, so if it is hotter outside it will be louder? Who knows... would like to hear what they have to say about yours.

Have the same thing. Definitely not normal. Wrote about it in separate post: First bad day in the X

Couldn't post the sound file. But have exactly that. Happens more/gets louder when I'm stopped. Have an appt for Tuesday and will get it checked among a couple other minor things. Will let you know. But if I had to bet, id go with the 'loose sticker in the duct' theory. If only cuz it sound like that and AC performance isn't impacted one bit.

I have a 2016 S90D and I am getting a similar sound from the left from driver's area only when I'm traveling at highway speeds and on parts of the road with not so smooth asphalt which causes more vibrations in the car.

I had this. They replaced the steering wheel switches.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    129.5 KB · Views: 140
You can email the video directly to your service manager. I've done that with strange noises which makes it easier. That noise is abnormal no doubt. Definitely not related simply to increased heat from summer...although the AC unit can be loud from outside generally the road noise covers it up from inside.

You can email the video directly to your service manager. I've done that with strange noises which makes it easier. That noise is abnormal no doubt. Definitely not related simply to increased heat from summer...although the AC unit can be loud from outside generally the road noise covers it up from inside.

Oh yah I've done that already (the closest one is Sunnyvale), but it seems like they are way backed up and we have to wait until July to get it sorted out. The bummer is that with the hot days, that sound is on pretty much non stop (ranges when the fan is at 4-6), so we either put the fan to 2 or 8 to help reduce the noise.

Oh yah I've done that already (the closest one is Sunnyvale), but it seems like they are way backed up and we have to wait until July to get it sorted out. The bummer is that with the hot days, that sound is on pretty much non stop (ranges when the fan is at 4-6), so we either put the fan to 2 or 8 to help reduce the noise.

There are several SC's in the Bay Area -- might want to give them a call to see if they can get you in sooner.