TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Odd buzzing sound coming from the dash

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Endoplasmic, May 19, 2016.

1. Endoplasmic

Endoplasmic Member

I figured I'd post the video here first to see if anyone else knows what's going on (and more importantly if it's fixable) because I'll be giving the local service center a call tomorrow.

There is no real reason as to why/when it happens, only that the car is brand new (end of March this year, just before the refresh) and it has to do with the fan blowing around the air in the car (if I shut climate off it goes away).

2. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

I hear this too, but not to the extent that you do. I hear it every now and then. Looking forward to what others have to say.

3. Jsvette56

Jsvette56 Member

My 3 year old Tesla started doing this about a year ago. It comes from the left drivers vent and seems like it might be a harmonic vibration.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

Probably unrelated, but there is a cooling fan behind the instrument display. On my 2013 S85, it started intermittently buzzing and was failing. Replaced and all good now.

5. tfinan

tfinan Member

I recall a post where there was a paper label in the duct that comes unglued and then the fan strikes it.

• Helpful x 1
  6. mikedc813

mikedc813 Member

I have a 2016 S90D and I am getting a similar sound from the left from driver's area only when I'm traveling at highway speeds and on parts of the road with not so smooth asphalt which causes more vibrations in the car.

7. Model S M.D.

Model S M.D. Ludicrous Radiologist

12/2015 85D here.

I heard a similar noise in mine yesterday by not quite as loud. Mine is a low level whirring noise which also goes away when the AC is off. The service center guy took a listen and said its normal. Apparently a recent firmware update increased the power from the AC (due to complaints it wasn't cold enough) which can explain the noise.

Additionally it's now hotter outside. They said the AC is also responsible for cooling the battery, so if it is hotter outside it will be louder? Who knows... would like to hear what they have to say about yours.

8. Endoplasmic

Endoplasmic Member

Wrote the SC today with the video and info about the rattling driver's side speaker. I'll let you guys know the result once I get it!

9. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Have the same thing. Definitely not normal. Wrote about it in separate post: First bad day in the X

Couldn't post the sound file. But have exactly that. Happens more/gets louder when I'm stopped. Have an appt for Tuesday and will get it checked among a couple other minor things. Will let you know. But if I had to bet, id go with the 'loose sticker in the duct' theory. If only cuz it sound like that and AC performance isn't impacted one bit.

10. tfinan

tfinan Member

11. drsaab

drsaab Member

I had this. They replaced the steering wheel switches.

Attached Files:

12. Endoplasmic

Endoplasmic Member

Just wanted to update the thread to say they did get back to me and that I have to wait a month and a half before there is an available service center spot :(

Love that the car is getting popular, but hate having to wait that long for a service visit.

• Like x 1
  13. NCEP

NCEP Member

You can email the video directly to your service manager. I've done that with strange noises which makes it easier. That noise is abnormal no doubt. Definitely not related simply to increased heat from summer...although the AC unit can be loud from outside generally the road noise covers it up from inside.

14. Endoplasmic

Endoplasmic Member

Oh yah I've done that already (the closest one is Sunnyvale), but it seems like they are way backed up and we have to wait until July to get it sorted out. The bummer is that with the hot days, that sound is on pretty much non stop (ranges when the fan is at 4-6), so we either put the fan to 2 or 8 to help reduce the noise.

15. mshuang

mshuang Member

There are several SC's in the Bay Area -- might want to give them a call to see if they can get you in sooner.