TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Odd cleaning question - Passenger speaker grill

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tliving, Jun 9, 2015.

1. tliving

tliving Member

I think the kid managed to mash some mud into the front passenger speaker grill. I tried picking it out with a pin but its still there. This is the pic after I tried several ways of cleaning it. Doesnt look big in the picture but its pretty noticeable inside.

IMG_5114.jpg
    Has anyone removed the grill cover and can you give me some advice? Its bugging me!

2. Majerus

Majerus Member

Did you try a tooth brush?

3. Fezzik

Fezzik P67429

As Majerus said. try warm water and a toothbrush. I've even used a stiff paint brush to clean that stuff out before.

4. tliving

tliving Member

Doh! Thats a great idea that I should have thought of. Will give it a shot. I was looking at more complex things like popping off the panel etc.

5. Panoz

Panoz Member

TELL ME the person responsible is forever banned from getting near the car. It would the case in MY house.

6. tliving

tliving Member

Hey, the Model S is too good a car not to drive people around in. Or dogs...
    img_2664.jpg

7. Majerus

Majerus Member

Did the toothbrush work for you?

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

If only my dogs were so calm!

- - - Updated - - -

If it's not too late...

It is fairly easy to pull the grille off and then you can get a good cleaning. Pull from the bottom gently, but firmly and keep pulling until the snap lets go. It sounds bad, but it pulls right off. Best is to use a spudger if you have one or a screw driver wrapped in cloth. Once you get the first snap. The rest are a lot easier. The grille has a fairly robust plastic frame. So if you are careful, there is little risk of warping it.

9. tliving

tliving Member

It helped but not 100%:
    IMG_5140.jpg
    Im going to try pulling off the grill with the instructions @CHG-ON provided next.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks, going to try that next! Just needed a strategy

10. Zextraterrestrial

ya, pulling those off is really very easy. I have done it several times to see how much the speakers are moving. just pull firmly, I don't think you could damage the covers, very sturdy pieces

11. tliving

tliving Member

I popped it off, there are 4 clips, none broke. I started at the bottom and worked up as suggested. The grill isn't completely mesh through and the area with the dirt has a back so it didnt help as much as I would have thought to take it off. But I was more comfortable giving the area a good soak when I saw what was in the dirt area so I did that and it helped. With the grill on I wasn't sure where the speaker stopped and was afraid of soaking something related to the speaker that was needed. Pics below.

Thanks everyone for your help.
    IMG_5449.jpg IMG_5450.jpg IMG_5448.jpg